MVPB-.05 below median-Chicago Bid list

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

MVPB-.05 below median-Chicago Bid list

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:52 pm

I am just wondering if it is too risky to bid mostly Chicago firms if I am slightly below median (.05) at MPVB. I am from the midwest and want to do transactional work. Also, if anyone has some suggestions on firms to apply to that would be great as well.

somewhatwayward

Re: MVPB-.05 below median-Chicago Bid list

Postby somewhatwayward » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:31 pm

well clearly you're not at B since they don't use letter grades. the answer to this question will partially depend on the school in that M is much more likely to get Chicago than V but given that Chicago is such a tough market regardless, i would say you have little shot even from M. bid unselective NYC firms with big classes.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:58 pm

bump.

pertristis

Postby pertristis » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:11 pm

Doubtful s/he's at V, as we submitted bids a week ago. That leaves M or P.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:17 pm

pertristis wrote:Doubtful s/he's at V, as we submitted bids a week ago. That leaves M or P.

As did we. And we don't know median. So M.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am just wondering if it is too risky to bid mostly Chicago firms if I am slightly below median (.05) at MPVB. I am from the midwest and want to do transactional work. Also, if anyone has some suggestions on firms to apply to that would be great as well.

Just say your school. You're already anon. Then people from your school can also see what firms are at your OCI and help you think about bidding them. Amateur hour.

Anonymous User

Re: M-.05 below median-Chicago Bid list

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:12 pm

Yes. It is M-any thoughts?

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am just wondering if it is too risky to bid mostly Chicago firms if I am slightly below median (.05) at MPVB. I am from the midwest and want to do transactional work. Also, if anyone has some suggestions on firms to apply to that would be great as well.

There is a GPA spreadsheet. Use it.

ChiefPresidentTaft

Postby ChiefPresidentTaft » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:34 pm

keg411 wrote:

There is a GPA spreadsheet. Use it.

Ouch

To answer your question, it might be somewhat risky to bid solely/mostly on Chicago firms if you are hovering around median. There just are not a ton of summer associate positions available. However, I think it is still doable if you research the firms and recognize which ones are attainable with your GPA (hence the GPA spreadsheet advice). I don't know when bids are due, but if you still can it might not hurt to throw in a handful of NYC firms with larger summer classes.

Return to “Legal Employment”