Resume Q: list invitation to apply for Furman (NYU)?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Resume Q: list invitation to apply for Furman (NYU)?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:15 am

Thank you very much, and good luck to you too - I am confident you will get at the very least an invitation to apply.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:Thank you very much, and good luck to you too - I am confident you will get at the very least an invitation to apply.

I'm fairly sure invitations to apply are sent out of the basis of recommendations from 1L professors, likely with a GPA cutoff (perhaps this is where the "top 30" comes in). In practice, however, they don't take people outside of the top 10, at least in recent years.

In terms of funding, it pays $5,000 or $10,000 a year, but not on top of an existing scholarship you might already have.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:14 am

I was under the impression it was a full scholarship, where did you get the $5,000 or $10,000 figure?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:16 pm

Just wanted to add a little info here. I'm not any of the previous posters, but I also am a rising 2L and got an invite to apply to be a Furman Scholar. My GPA is (somewhat) lower than the poster above with a 3.85-3.9.

I do know, however, that one of my 1L professors went to bat for me, and so I'm guessing that's what the difference is.

If they really only take the top 10 students, then I'm definitely out of contention, however.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was under the impression it was a full scholarship, where did you get the $5,000 or $10,000 figure?

It is a full scholarship only for 1Ls who come in as Furman scholars. I'm assume that whoever sent you the invite can give you the exact details of how it works financially.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:24 pm

I'm a pomeroy. Didn't get an invite. That said, never expressed interest in academia. When the prof who knows me the best asked if I was interested in academia a few months back, I said that I wasn't at all. Make of this what you will.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:36 pm

Gotcha, I was under the impression that even the new invites get the full tuition scholarship (I thought that is what my friend who was invited last year after their 1L year mentioned, but i must have been mistaken).

Although still disappointed that I was not invited, this lessens the blow a little.

I guess it is pretty clear to say that they don't just invite the top 30 students. Congrats to the poster who made Pomeroy. Does that come with any scholarship or financial award?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:51 pm

Ha. I wish. Nope—continuing to pay sticker...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:43 pm

Thats unfortunate. I am obviously thrilled to have done well, but it still freaks me out that I am going to graduate with 250k in debt. I wish the school gave out some scholarship money afte 1L year. Perhaps you and I can share a drink to that next year.

Return to “Legal Employment”