How to distinguish between NYC firms

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How to distinguish between NYC firms

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:32 am

There's damn near 70 of them at OCI and I've got 25 slots. NALP essentially says the same thing for each and they each have seemingly every practice area. Any particularly good quality of life ones or transfer-friendly ones someone wants to point out or help me out with? Guessing since I'm a transfer I can't reach into the V20 or so.

birdlaw117

Re: How to distinguish between NYC firms

Postby birdlaw117 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:There's damn near 70 of them at OCI and I've got 25 slots. NALP essentially says the same thing for each and they each have seemingly every practice area. Any particularly good quality of life ones or transfer-friendly ones someone wants to point out or help me out with? Guessing since I'm a transfer I can't reach into the V20 or so.

If you want to get useful advice you're going to have to give more information. I have no idea what school you're at, how competitive you are, or what you want to do other than work in NYC. I probably won't be able to give you meaningful advice regardless of what the answers to these questions are, but somebody else may be able to.

azntwice

Postby azntwice » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:37 am

1) Practice areas. The best way to research this is wikipedia, chambers and legal500, since each firm will bill themselves as full service. Also look at their clients for what kind of work you'll be doing.

2) Training programs/different approaches to pro bono/billables. This will give you a good clue as to what the firm culture is like. If, for example, the firm doesn't allow you to count pro bono as a billable hour (like Wachtell), you will know what kind of general attitude this firm has toward your personal life.

3) There is no particular firm that has better quality of life. You will work hard no matter what firm you're at. Only difference is what kind of work you're doing and who you're working with.

4) You can absolutely reach into the V20 as a transfer. I know someone who summered at Cravath, who transferred to CLS from UC Hastings. It just depends on your personal stats.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:45 am

birdlaw117 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:There's damn near 70 of them at OCI and I've got 25 slots. NALP essentially says the same thing for each and they each have seemingly every practice area. Any particularly good quality of life ones or transfer-friendly ones someone wants to point out or help me out with? Guessing since I'm a transfer I can't reach into the V20 or so.

If you want to get useful advice you're going to have to give more information. I have no idea what school you're at, how competitive you are, or what you want to do other than work in NYC. I probably won't be able to give you meaningful advice regardless of what the answers to these questions are, but somebody else may be able to.

I'm at MVP, was top 5% at my TTT. My work experience is entirely public interest, which I'm aware is a red flag, but I do honestly want to switch it up to BigLaw if possible. PI was simply what my skills and opportunities allowed pre law school and this summer.

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm at MVP, was top 5% at my TTT. My work experience is entirely public interest, which I'm aware is a red flag, but I do honestly want to switch it up to BigLaw if possible. PI was simply what my skills and opportunities allowed pre law school and this summer.

I know transfers at M who got V10 firms last year. As far as the PI heavy resume goes, emphasize how big law and the type of work they do was one of your main reasons for transferring or something. People overestimate how much of a red flag the PI heavy resume is. Yes you have to do a little more work to convince interviewers that you want to do private practice (and don't do things like say eventually you want to do PI/ask about pro bono) but if you work on a compelling narrative for why you want big law and make yourself believe it, you should be fine.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:15 am

CLS transfer from a T1 here. My bidlist is V5-V100. OCS has a list of firms that have given offers to transfers in the past. It's basically all of them that have large summer classes. If your school has that data, it's a good starting place.

Loose Seal

Postby Loose Seal » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:03 pm

I couldn't distinguish between any until my callbacks, when I got to walk around the office, talk to people, and get a sense for the dread/lack thereof in the place. IMO, do the best you can with your bidlist with the information you have and trust that firm personalities will emerge more clearly once you visit the office and interact with some of the associates and partners there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:26 pm

OP here, thanks for the info! Related question, are there any NYC firms I shouldn't waste my time on? I know the ones with a high mean GPA are probably in that category, but any others that traditionally fit the bill? Still haven't been able to find projected 2013 summer class size, NALP lists 2012, anyone know where to find this?

Return to “Legal Employment”