Guess I don't like the law. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
bjsesq

Diamond

Re: Guess I don't like the law.

Post by bjsesq » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:47 am

IAFG wrote:Just because you accept your offer doesn't mean you can't look for clerkships, fellowships and non-law jobs. And a huge percentage of people who are candidates for V10s are also competitive for those alternatives. From there, you really don't owe your firm anything.
--ImageRemoved--

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:49 am

AllTheLawz wrote:If you hate the sitting in a chair and staring at a screen part then you will hate somewhere around 80% of all professional jobs.

Also, people need to stop recommending consulting as an alternative career to Biglaw. It isn't. Those jobs are looking for people with top undergrad credentials/SAT scores and they are mostly looking for people with a business background or engineers. Random guy from V10 is not getting the gig that BCG recruits for at law schools.
1) I'd imagine a lot of those v10 guys do have top ug creds and SAT scores.

2) Why would they want top UG/SAT but not top law school/LSAT?

3) They recruit at the t14, and I've heard it isn't that hard to get.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:55 am

Slobberson wrote:Try to find a clerkship at that hour? Do you know how that works? Overall that's shit advice.
I know this guy, V10 summer, who realized he didn't really want to do corporate work after all and basically that his summer firm wasn't where he wanted to be. Instead of taking his lumps like some kind of defeatist martyr, he started looking for alternatives, easily landed an alumni clerkship, only has to go back to his firm for 10 months and now has a fresh start on the job market. Seems to be working out pretty well. I know people who switched offices, markets, firms. There is so much you can do about it after 2L summer. There is no reason for someone with strong credentials to "stick it out." OP should be hustling.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:57 am

bjsesq wrote:
IAFG wrote:Just because you accept your offer doesn't mean you can't look for clerkships, fellowships and non-law jobs. And a huge percentage of people who are candidates for V10s are also competitive for those alternatives. From there, you really don't owe your firm anything.
--ImageRemoved--
This plan also works better for people without dependents. How long do you want to limp by on a clerk or fellow salary?

But seriously, something like 1/3 of the people on our magna list aren't doing law.

Slobberson

New

Post by Slobberson » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:57 am

We're saying the same thing. You just keep leaving half my sentence off. Stick it out until you find something better. That's what I've said 3 times. In his post I thought he asked if he should drop out.

He says that after two Paragraphs of whiny "me" stuff. He should not drop out.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:59 am

IAFG wrote:This plan also works better for people without dependents. How long do you want to limp by on a clerk or fellow salary?

But seriously, something like 1/3 of the people on our magna list aren't doing law.
It's a tough call. I am betting with my background that I could get a non-legal doj job with some work. It would be rough, though, and I wouldn't be able to provide for the little ones the way I want to. Ultimately, I will probably end up working biglaw for a while and then get out so I can still enjoy some of my kids' childhoods.

AllTheLawz

Bronze

Post by AllTheLawz » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:07 am

Desert Fox wrote:
AllTheLawz wrote:If you hate the sitting in a chair and staring at a screen part then you will hate somewhere around 80% of all professional jobs.

Also, people need to stop recommending consulting as an alternative career to Biglaw. It isn't. Those jobs are looking for people with top undergrad credentials/SAT scores and they are mostly looking for people with a business background or engineers. Random guy from V10 is not getting the gig that BCG recruits for at law schools.

1) Except they are hiring for case managers (or the equivalent) or investment analysts (in the case of investment groups) so they aren't just grabbing random PoliSci majors off the sidelines like they do for analysts.

2) I said I dont know how they use it for case managers but I know for a fact they ask for SAT/ACT and sometimes dont ask for LSAT scores.

3) I am at H and last year McKinsey offered a grand total of 3 of the 17 they called in for a second round interview (at a school that has a major JD/MBA program). I know for a fact that one of those 3 was an engineer.

Also, I used to work with a team made up of former case managers from multiple top consulting firms and have discussed the recruiting process in depth.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:13 am

So one firm called back 17 and offered 3? Sounds like a lot of law firms.

$$$$$$

Bronze

Post by $$$$$$ » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:36 am

AllTheLawz wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

1) Except they are hiring for case managers (or the equivalent) or investment analysts (in the case of investment groups) so they aren't just grabbing random PoliSci majors off the sidelines like they do for analysts.

2) I said I dont know how they use it for case managers but I know for a fact they ask for SAT/ACT and sometimes dont ask for LSAT scores.

3) I am at H and last year McKinsey offered a grand total of 3 of the 17 they called in for a second round interview (at a school that has a major JD/MBA program). I know for a fact that one of those 3 was an engineer.

Also, I used to work with a team made up of former case managers from multiple top consulting firms and have discussed the recruiting process in depth.
SAT/LSAT, they want both, and specifically, they want kids who crushed the math portion of the test. Also, they'd rather have a T10 engineering kid come in than a T10 law student. I know plenty of V10 kids, and im sure they all have the credentials to get a 1st round interview at M, but this mens absolutely nothing. These jobs are not easy to get at all. 1 kid at my T14 got an offer at M last year out of 15 that were given 2nd round interviews. These jobs are not given to people based on grades, scores, schools, because those things just get you in the door. The case interview method is rigorous and takes most a long time to get used to it, especially if you havent done math in 3 years. Additionally, most top consulting firms don't recruit at law schools, M is the only one that actively does. Maybe BB does at HYS, but not at my school.

I can't speak for finance or banking, but I would imagine those are very hard to get out of law school

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:07 pm

It's highly unlikely that someone who hates their V10 job wants to work at any of the top 3 consulting firms. There are other consulting firms who will hire JD's, and yes, of course those firms have their pick of whoever the hell they want. My roommate for the summer makes good money consulting at one of those 'other firms,' and he is home by 7 everyday and "works" from home on Fridays. He has also yet to leave the state for traveling and has been there for a year. Prestige v. living life. That said, when I can't find a firm job, you've given me hope that my 780 math score on SAT might.

Government has that 8-5 you're looking for. It won't pay as much, but if you stay 8 years, you'll get a 200k signing bonus in the form of loan forgiveness.

You could also try to find a lifestyle firm. With your credentials, I'd imagine you'd have an easy time finding and convincing a firm that pays 100k with 1800 billable hours that their firm is what you are looking for.

And woops, clicked anonymous... someone quote for abuse of feature

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:16 pm

I only suggested consulting because we get e-mails about their events all the time at my T10. I don't think it's a "be all end all" choice; I only suggested for OP if it's something he/she is potentially interested in. Someone who gets a V10 usually has pretty solid credentials -- it's not like they're at some random V100 with median-ish grades and no other choices.

I agree that it's late in the game for clerkships for this cycle, but IAFG's alumni route is a great suggestion -- that way OP only has to work at the firm for less than a year before getting a clean break. And again, someone at a V10 is going to have a great chance. 3L OCI/mass mailing is also great if OP just hates his/her firm's atmosphere and not the work in general -- can always use practice area as an excuse. There is also DOJ Honors, as difficult as it may be.

Seriously -- there is zero reason for someone with great credentials to just sit and be resigned to working someone where they know they won't be happy. Are most of these suggestions just total shots in the dark. Yes, but they're ones that someone with a V10 offer in hand can certain try. OP: get the offer, and then hustle away for something else.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This is sad.

Do you think your grandfather enjoyed having to spend two years slogging across Europe in the winter to kill nazis? You think he enjoyed spending the next 30 years working in a shoe lace factory?

SPOILER ALERT.

He didn't.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”