Not accepting an offer on the spot?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Not accepting an offer on the spot?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:22 pm

I'm currently summering at my 2L firm, and will most likely get an offer at the end of the summer, which I don't want to accept right away since I'm planning on doing 3L OCI. My firm gives out offers just before the end of the summer program, in person, and puts a lot of pressure on the summer associates to accept on the spot. I'm concerned about how to handle this, since I don't want to antagonize anyone at my 2L firm in case I do end up coming back, or cause them to withdraw the offer. Does anyone have any advice on how to handle this situation in the least awkward way possible?

Anonymous User

Re: Not accepting an offer on the spot?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm currently summering at my 2L firm, and will most likely get an offer at the end of the summer, which I don't want to accept right away since I'm planning on doing 3L OCI. My firm gives out offers just before the end of the summer program, in person, and puts a lot of pressure on the summer associates to accept on the spot. I'm concerned about how to handle this, since I don't want to antagonize anyone at my 2L firm in case I do end up coming back, or cause them to withdraw the offer. Does anyone have any advice on how to handle this situation in the least awkward way possible?

Just say you would appreciate some time to think it over, and thank them for the offer while explaining you think very highly of the firm and you enjoyed your summer. As long as you are polite you will be okay.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:32 pm

Unless this is a small firm with sensitive egos, I don't think they will be offended. I'm sure they've dealt with this before. Just handle it professionally.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:33 pm

OP here, thank you for the reply. I'm planning on saying something like that initially, and I'm mostly looking for a graceful way to respond when the hiring partner starts pressuring me to accept after I've told him/her I need some time to think it over. I'm wondering if it would be rude to stand up, shake the partner's hand, and excuse myself at this point.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here, thank you for the reply. I'm planning on saying something like that initially, and I'm mostly looking for a graceful way to respond when the hiring partner starts pressuring me to accept after I've told him/her I need some time to think it over. I'm wondering if it would be rude to stand up, shake the partner's hand, and excuse myself at this point.

Yes, this would probably be rude. Just say that you need to talk it over with your family. Pretty hard to pressure on that one.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here, thank you for the reply. I'm planning on saying something like that initially, and I'm mostly looking for a graceful way to respond when the hiring partner starts pressuring me to accept after I've told him/her I need some time to think it over. I'm wondering if it would be rude to stand up, shake the partner's hand, and excuse myself at this point.

It would be both rude and awkward. Presumably at this point, they gave you a nice little summer salary, took you out to lunch a bunch of times and gave you other perks, picked you over a bunch of other qualified candidates, and offered you a job. You should at least have the decency to sit down and have a normal conversation. You're entitled to time to think it over and all that, but they're entitled to some reciprocal professionalism. Honestly, I doubt they're even going to pressure you into accepting on the spot, so you may be overthinking this.

Just curious... why are you interested in going elsewhere?

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:47 pm

I wish I had this worry. I'm still paranoid about getting the offer in the first place

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:31 pm

Different poster, but how bad - if at all - is this if you're the only one in the class of 40+ to not accept on the spot? Will recruiting or the hiring partner know me as "that guy?"

The firm has constantly reassured us that we're getting offers, regardless of whether we bill 2 or less hours/day. They've been nice as hell to us, and I feel like it's kind of a dick move on my part not to accept on the spot. Or I am overthinking?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:35 pm

romothesavior wrote:

It would be both rude and awkward. Presumably at this point, they gave you a nice little summer salary, took you out to lunch a bunch of times and gave you other perks, picked you over a bunch of other qualified candidates, and offered you a job. You should at least have the decency to sit down and have a normal conversation. You're entitled to time to think it over and all that, but they're entitled to some reciprocal professionalism. Honestly, I doubt they're even going to pressure you into accepting on the spot, so you may be overthinking this.

Just curious... why are you interested in going elsewhere?

Credited.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:51 pm

romothesavior wrote:Just curious... why are you interested in going elsewhere?

maybe because they sell their offers like timeshares?

nevertheless, if you can't endure the hard sell, you could always say that you always discuss all major life decisions with your mother before acting.

angua

Postby angua » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:05 am

fatduck wrote:

nevertheless, if you can't endure the hard sell, you could always say that you always discuss all major life decisions with your mother before acting.

This is always a true statement coming from me, but it just now clicked that I can use it in this kind of situation. TY fatduck.

sharkweek

Postby sharkweek » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:12 pm

I know this is the last week for many people...have any firms actually started giving out offers to their summers? Any trends on if firms are doing it all at once for the class or individually?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:18 pm

I'm already offered and accepted.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm already offered and accepted.

Thanks, I'm sure this helps OP

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:15 pm

angua wrote:
fatduck wrote:

This is always a true statement coming from me, but it just now clicked that I can use it in this kind of situation. TY fatduck.

CHECK YOU SARCASM

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:16 pm

romothesavior wrote:

What are you talking about. Now he knows that at least one anonymous user out there at some firm of unknown size and in an unknown location has accepted an offer. Totally helpful.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:18 pm

romothesavior wrote:

I was responding to the comment above mine. HTH

sharkweek wrote:I know this is the last week for many people...have any firms actually started giving out offers to their summers? Any trends on if firms are doing it all at once for the class or individually?

Return to “Legal Employment”