To: 1L Biglaw SA's doing OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

To: 1L Biglaw SA's doing OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:00 pm

What did you tell your 1L SA firm when you wanted to do for your 2L year when receiving your offer to return for 2L summer? In particular, how did they react to you mentioning that you wanted to do OCI?

I like my 1L SA firm a lot, but there are some practice areas I wish were stronger that are stronger at other firms. Wanted to see how former 1L SA's handled the situation and the reaction by the firm.

Also, anyone get an offer from their 1L SA that ended up going to a different firm? What has your experience been like with the new firm?

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: To: 1L Biglaw SA's and OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:05 pm

Tell them you're doing OCI and find out when they need an answer. Find out if they're open to splitting, and on what terms. They're offering you another job tryout, not a job. Besides, they know the drill, they do this every year. It isnt a big deal.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Tell them you're doing OCI and find out when they need an answer. Find out if they're open to splitting, and on what terms. They're offering you another job tryout, not a job. Besides, they know the drill, they do this every year. It isnt a big deal.

This. Inquire into the possibility of splitting. Very probably they will be open to it. Explain that you really enjoyed your summer, you like all the attorneys, but you would like to do your due diligence, and work at another firm to get a different experience, and make sure your eventual decision is an informed one. They should understand.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:Tell them you're doing OCI and find out when they need an answer. Find out if they're open to splitting, and on what terms. They're offering you another job tryout, not a job. Besides, they know the drill, they do this every year. It isnt a big deal.

Completely agree. Ask about splitting.

Anonymous User

Re: To: 1L Biglaw SA's doing OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:22 pm

OP here. Thanks a bunch everyone. The advice seems practical enough. I guess I was just over thinking it.

Anonymous User

Re: To: 1L Biglaw SA's doing OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:41 pm

OP Here.

Thanks again for the advice. Just FYI for those in a similar boat in the future, my firm gave me until November 1st like the NALP guidelines suggest. I didn't really have to say anything about exploring my options and they made the terms of the offer clear. Although I did get the impression that they would have been more than ok with me accepting on the spot, the tone was that they were aware that OCI was coming up and that I would be doing interviews.

Bottom Line - not something big to worry about at a large firm since they're used to this kind of stuff as the other posters mentioned.

Best of luck to all!

Return to “Legal Employment”