Chicago firms that meet these criteria

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Chicago firms that meet these criteria

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:24 pm

I'm having a hard time picking the last 5 firms for my bid list.

I'm at MVP between between median and top-1/3 (I may barely be top-1/3, I don't know). No LR. I don't know what I want to do, but I know I don't want to do employment or any type of litigation. I think I interview well and have some impressive softs and work history.

Can anyone recommend mid-to-large size, gpa-flexible firms that have at least 3 sizable, non-litigation practice groups? Ideally I'd like to try a few different types of non-litigation work.

Re: Chicago firms that meet these criteria

Postby ChiefPresidentTaft » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:32 pm

I assume you already have Kirkland and Sidley on your bid list. Both might be a reach (depending how close you are to top 1/3). However, these are the top transactional shops in town and will have the variety of work you are looking for. My understanding is that Kirkland has one big "Corporate" group that comprises a variety of work combined with the "free market" system for work assignment. Sidley has a more discrete group break down -- corporate, real estate, banking, etc. Kirkland probably cares more about LR and grades. Sidley cares more about fit.

Here are my suggestions on other Chicago firms:

Jenner - They do have a fairly good sized Corporate group and IP group, but litigation dominates here.
Jones Day - Dominated by Labor & Employment and Litigation. Lots of smaller groups but doesn't seem to fit your criteria.
Winston - Litigation heavy, but also a big corporate group.
Skadden - Corporate focus. Good balance between restructuring, corporate, and finance work.
Katten - Again, good corporate focus. Mainly corporate and finance work. Fairly large real estate group as well.
Latham - Once again, corporate and finance work. Not a fan of their unassigned associate program.
Schiff Hardin - Pretty good variety. Sizable banking and corporate groups. Litigation still seems to dominate.
McDermott - Seem litigation heavy, but honestly I am not sure. Do have a sizable corporate group.

I am assuming by "non-litigation" practice groups you mean transactional. There are regulatory groups like healthcare or environmental, but I don't know of any firms with "sizable" practices in these areas (you would have to check NALP). You also have other specialities like tax but I am not sure if that is the type of stuff you are wanting to try out.

Re: Chicago firms that meet these criteria

Postby homestyle28 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:30 pm

Have you looked at Chapman and Cutler? They're soft on GPAs and decent size

Return to “Legal Employment”