Mentioning Law Review when contacting alumni? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Mention law review in mass mailings to alumni?

Do not mention it at all. Gunners who trumpet their law school prestige are off-putting.
45%
Mention it only to those who were on Law Review (I am leaning towards this option). It's a mutual connection!
40%
Mention it to everyone. Busy attorneys can't talk to everyone. Why should they talk to you? Since you probably didn't do anything else to stand out your first year, this is your only way to stand out.
15%

Total votes: 20

Anonymous User

Mentioning Law Review when contacting alumni?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:23 pm

I am thinking of mentioning that I am a member of the Law Review at my school within the first few lines of an email contacting alumni. I feel that this would give me a level of credibility that may cause them to read further--given mass mail's low success rate. However, a number of alumni from my school at Big Law NY firms were not themselves on Law Review.

"I am a rising second-year student at the University of X and a member of the X Law Review, and I will be in the area during X."
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:47 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Dr. Review

Gold

Re: Mentioning Law Review when contacting alumni?

Post by Dr. Review » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:26 pm

I feel like a poll might be useful here.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:36 pm

Don't. You will sound like a miserable prestige whore.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:45 pm

i really can't imagine how you would mention it in an introduction email without sounding like a huge douche. the best i can think of is to attach your resume and they will see it listed there.

letsdoit

Bronze

Post by letsdoit » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:51 pm

I didn't mention it unless: a) they asked how I did so far or b) they wanted me to update them (from a prior conversation) on how my 2nd semester went.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:53 pm

Mentioning it unasked in an email contacting alumni will make you look like an insufferable ass.

If they ask for your resume or how you're doing in school, that sort of thing, then fire away.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:55 pm

EDIT: One alumnus of my school who was on law review, when I used the second option and mentioned it, specifically brought it up to the hiring attorney. I received a scheduled interview at that V10 a few hours later. Law Review or not, at my school, I was by no means a lock for that firm in that market.

Maybe, like everything, it depends?

I am leaning towards, among those with Law review, mentioning it 50% of the time. Among those who don't list LR on their firm bio, I will not mention it at all.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:23 pm

Mention only to those who were on LR. As a former LR ed boarder, I would be more inclined to help a random LR member than a random non-LR member. The same would be true with other shared connections (e.g., same undergrad, clerked/interned for same judge, etc.).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”