What questions to ask during OCI screener?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Re: What questions to ask during OCI screener?

Postby 071816 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:59 pm

When I make partner, how much will the decorating budget for my office be?

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:03 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Gecko of Doom wrote:
Bedsole wrote:
UVA Cavalier wrote:How long do associates typically stay at the firm?
What kind of exit options do associates have?

Am I the only one who doesn't like the idea of asking about your exit options at an interview? I always figured firms would rather hear about how hard you are going to work for them, not how well you can do when you leave.

Yeah, do not ask about exit options.

I would ask about longevity at the firm and typical career progression. Actually most firms are open to these questions. It doesn't show that you don't want to work hard, it shows that you know how firms operate. Very few of your fellow class members will make it to partnership review, most will have to leave. It is probably one of the most important consideration in choosing a firm.

I do admit that it really depends on who you are as a candidate and how you ask the question. I am second career, of course I need to make sure I hedge everything. It would be reckless for me to not ask.

Why not ask this after you get offers, when you're choosing between firms?

I completely disagree that you should broach this subject during a screener.

You are absolutely correct in that it is an extremely important consideration, but SCREENER questions are a double edged sword. You want to learn something about the firm that encourages you to accept a callback, but you also want to play a game and show them you are a dedicated individual who is curious about their particular practice.

Once I have offers to choose from, that's when I'll ask the cutting questions.

ben4847

Postby ben4847 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:04 pm

Are partners available late at night if I have an urgent question?

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:04 pm

tag

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:18 pm

PennBull wrote:
Why not ask this after you get offers, when you're choosing between firms?

I completely disagree that you should broach this subject during a screener.

You are absolutely correct in that it is an extremely important consideration, but SCREENER questions are a double edged sword. You want to learn something about the firm that encourages you to accept a callback, but you also want to play a game and show them you are a dedicated individual who is curious about their particular practice.

Once I have offers to choose from, that's when I'll ask the cutting questions.

It shows you are not asking questions off a stock sheet, you put some thoughts into what you want, and you are leveraged. Also there are only so many things/so many times I can ask about the summer program with a straight face. Being timid and beating around the bush is not my thing. Always works for me to ask for what I really want.

memo2partner

Postby memo2partner » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:06 pm

I like the "Choate checklist" myself.

http://www.choate.com/law-students/

I usually ask about the firm's training program and what it encompasses. I also ask about the firm's best clients--e.g., do the new associates work on the very blue chip clients of the firm (who are those clients, etc.)

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:I've done research on firms, firms' cultures, big cases, big clients, and practice areas. I've looked up interviewers, their backgrounds, etc. However, I'm wondering what questions I need to be asking V100 firms during interviews and what research I should do to develop good questions that will impress.

I'm glad you asked because the types of questions you ask to V100 firms are VERY different than those you ask to just NLJ250 firms.

jeeptiger09

Postby jeeptiger09 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:51 am

Maybe ask for advice on how to use the anonymous feature properly.

Return to “Legal Employment”