What questions to ask during OCI screener? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What questions to ask during OCI screener?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:44 pm

I've done research on firms, firms' cultures, big cases, big clients, and practice areas. I've looked up interviewers, their backgrounds, etc. However, I'm wondering what questions I need to be asking V100 firms during interviews and what research I should do to develop good questions that will impress.

Anonymous User

Re: What questions to ask during OCI screener?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've done research on firms, firms' cultures, big cases, big clients, and practice areas. I've looked up interviewers, their backgrounds, etc. However, I'm wondering what questions I need to be asking V100 firms during interviews and what research I should do to develop good questions that will impress.
Anything to get the interviewer to talk about what led them to Firm X + their candid experiences thus far is a good place to start. I always ask about diversity/affinity groups, their initiaitives, and ways for first year associates to get involved there. Maybe throw in a pro bono question in there too.

Firms don't expect you to know the firm inside and out or be particularly well-researched. Just appear enthusiatic, inquisitive, and genuinely interested. Do minimal research i.e. don't inquire about Firm X's robust white collar practice if they don't have one.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I've done research on firms, firms' cultures, big cases, big clients, and practice areas. I've looked up interviewers, their backgrounds, etc. However, I'm wondering what questions I need to be asking V100 firms during interviews and what research I should do to develop good questions that will impress.
Anything to get the interviewer to talk about what led them to Firm X + their candid experiences thus far is a good place to start. I always ask about diversity/affinity groups, their initiaitives, and ways for first year associates to get involved there. Maybe throw in a pro bono question in there too.

Firms don't expect you to know the firm inside and out or be particularly well-researched. Just appear enthusiatic, inquisitive, and genuinely interested. Do minimal research i.e. don't inquire about Firm X's robust white collar practice if they don't have one.
proceed with caution with the bolded. i would probably steer away from pro bono questions; you don't want to send the message of being really excited to work...FO FREE!

ruski

Bronze

Post by ruski » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:06 pm

you can also ask practical questions, that are often ignored but really extremely important. these include how is the technology at the firm, how is the support staff, how are deals staffed (e.g. very leanly?). these are things that will have a huge impact on whether you will like working at the firm - these are also the few criteria that actually vary between firms

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

proceed with caution with the bolded. i would probably steer away from pro bono questions; you don't want to send the message of being really excited to work...FO FREE!
Yeah, as corporate and soulless as it seems, you generally want to avoid pro bono altogether in a screener. This thread is good at addressing why this is true.If you're dying to know in order to pick between firms, wait until you receive an offer to ask about it.

In general, I think the credited approach to questions is to just ask questions that will make the interviewer impressed with your desire to really know more about the firm because you genuinely care about it. I do not think it's productive to ask questions to determine if you like the firm in a screening interview. If you get an offer, then you can think about if you'd like it or hate it and ask the appropriate questions.

I'd rather be employed at a firm I don't like than unemployed.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:45 pm

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Detrox

Bronze

Post by Detrox » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:29 am

ajax adonis wrote:I would never ever ask a pro bono question. There are so many other better ones to ask anyway.
This is overrepeated and often phenominally untrue. There are a discrete number of firms that do not just have "committed to pro bono" as some brochure selling point but actively look for commitment to this. Can you do nothing but pro bono and be solid there? Of course not, it's a business that needs money, however can you mention your interest in pro bono without being blacklisted and in fact get a boost? Yes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:58 am

More stock questions please!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:42 am

How does the summer program staff projects?

How do attorneys get slotted into/choose between litigation and corporate?

How, within litigation and corporate, do attorneys get slotted into/choose their specialties? Does it happen right when they start, or are they generalists in their department for some time?

If interviewer is an associate, ask about frequency of interacting with partners, clients, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

azntwice

Bronze

Post by azntwice » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:40 am

Ask what their favorite thing about the firm is, what the most unusual thing is. Ask how the firm mentors young associates.

UVA Cavalier

New

Post by UVA Cavalier » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:43 am

How long do associates typically stay at the firm?
What kind of exit options do associates have?

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:50 am

UVA Cavalier wrote:How long do associates typically stay at the firm?
Am I the only one who doesn't like the idea of asking about your exit options at an interview? I always figured firms would rather hear about how hard you are going to work for them, not how well you can do when you leave.

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:53 am

Bedsole wrote:
Am I the only one who doesn't like the idea of asking about your exit options at an interview? I always figured firms would rather hear about how hard you are going to work for them, not how well you can do when you leave.
Yeah I thought these were both awful.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gecko of Doom

Bronze

Post by Gecko of Doom » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:55 am

Bedsole wrote:
Yeah, do not ask about exit options.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:58 am

Are these the same questions one should ask during a call back?

Zeile

Bronze

Post by Zeile » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:03 pm

tagged

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:14 pm

Awful questions so far.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Awful questions so far.
Tell us, ANONYMOUS USER, what questions would you suggest?

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:20 pm

I don't see a problem with a pro bono question or two if the firm is known for doing a lot of pro bono work or something. I just wouldn't go overboard with those kinds of questions (but the same goes for any topic). Questions about the firm (and individual office) culture, what the attorney likes most and least about working there, how summer associates are assigned work, and whether or not there is any sort of mentorship program all seem to be decent questions.

ben4847

Silver

Post by ben4847 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:45 pm

How often will I need to stay past 5?

androstan

Gold

Post by androstan » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:48 pm

ben4847 wrote:How often will I need to stay past 5?
Should probably always ask this. Also ask if associates ever work Saturdays.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:50 pm

Best possible questions to ask:
I have my own book of work, when I bring it over, could I list you as the originator?
Do you have shower facilities for associates who work overnight?
Do you offer incentives for those associates billing over 2500 hours?
Is the office open on holidays for those associates who would like to work those days?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:56 pm

Gecko of Doom wrote:
Bedsole wrote:
Yeah, do not ask about exit options.
I would ask about longevity at the firm and typical career progression. Actually most firms are open to these questions. It doesn't show that you don't want to work hard, it shows that you know how firms operate. Very few of your fellow class members will make it to partnership review, most will have to leave. It is probably one of the most important consideration in choosing a firm.

I do admit that it really depends on who you are as a candidate and how you ask the question. I am second career, of course I need to make sure I hedge everything. It would be reckless for me to not ask.

ben4847

Silver

Post by ben4847 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:57 pm

androstan wrote:
ben4847 wrote:How often will I need to stay past 5?
Should probably always ask this. Also ask if associates ever work Saturdays.
I dn't care about associates. I'm not planning to stay associate very long.

target

Silver

Post by target » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:58 pm

Bedsole wrote:Best possible questions to ask:
I have my own book of work, when I bring it over, could I list you as the originator?
Do you have shower facilities for associates who work overnight?
Do you offer incentives for those associates billing over 2500 hours?
Is the office open on holidays for those associates who would like to work those days?
Along this line would be:

-How easy is it to access firm from a remote location? At night?
-Can all the personal devices that the firm provides link me to the firm network/contact 24/7?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”