What questions to ask during OCI screener?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273107
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

What questions to ask during OCI screener?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:44 pm

I've done research on firms, firms' cultures, big cases, big clients, and practice areas. I've looked up interviewers, their backgrounds, etc. However, I'm wondering what questions I need to be asking V100 firms during interviews and what research I should do to develop good questions that will impress.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273107
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What questions to ask during OCI screener?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've done research on firms, firms' cultures, big cases, big clients, and practice areas. I've looked up interviewers, their backgrounds, etc. However, I'm wondering what questions I need to be asking V100 firms during interviews and what research I should do to develop good questions that will impress.


Anything to get the interviewer to talk about what led them to Firm X + their candid experiences thus far is a good place to start. I always ask about diversity/affinity groups, their initiaitives, and ways for first year associates to get involved there. Maybe throw in a pro bono question in there too.

Firms don't expect you to know the firm inside and out or be particularly well-researched. Just appear enthusiatic, inquisitive, and genuinely interested. Do minimal research i.e. don't inquire about Firm X's robust white collar practice if they don't have one.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273107
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What questions to ask during OCI screener?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I've done research on firms, firms' cultures, big cases, big clients, and practice areas. I've looked up interviewers, their backgrounds, etc. However, I'm wondering what questions I need to be asking V100 firms during interviews and what research I should do to develop good questions that will impress.


Anything to get the interviewer to talk about what led them to Firm X + their candid experiences thus far is a good place to start. I always ask about diversity/affinity groups, their initiaitives, and ways for first year associates to get involved there. Maybe throw in a pro bono question in there too.

Firms don't expect you to know the firm inside and out or be particularly well-researched. Just appear enthusiatic, inquisitive, and genuinely interested. Do minimal research i.e. don't inquire about Firm X's robust white collar practice if they don't have one.


proceed with caution with the bolded. i would probably steer away from pro bono questions; you don't want to send the message of being really excited to work...FO FREE!

ruski
Posts: 348
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:45 am

Re: What questions to ask during OCI screener?

Postby ruski » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:06 pm

you can also ask practical questions, that are often ignored but really extremely important. these include how is the technology at the firm, how is the support staff, how are deals staffed (e.g. very leanly?). these are things that will have a huge impact on whether you will like working at the firm - these are also the few criteria that actually vary between firms

User avatar
PennBull
Posts: 15361
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:59 pm

Re: What questions to ask during OCI screener?

Postby PennBull » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I've done research on firms, firms' cultures, big cases, big clients, and practice areas. I've looked up interviewers, their backgrounds, etc. However, I'm wondering what questions I need to be asking V100 firms during interviews and what research I should do to develop good questions that will impress.


Anything to get the interviewer to talk about what led them to Firm X + their candid experiences thus far is a good place to start. I always ask about diversity/affinity groups, their initiaitives, and ways for first year associates to get involved there. Maybe throw in a pro bono question in there too.

Firms don't expect you to know the firm inside and out or be particularly well-researched. Just appear enthusiatic, inquisitive, and genuinely interested. Do minimal research i.e. don't inquire about Firm X's robust white collar practice if they don't have one.


proceed with caution with the bolded. i would probably steer away from pro bono questions; you don't want to send the message of being really excited to work...FO FREE!


Yeah, as corporate and soulless as it seems, you generally want to avoid pro bono altogether in a screener. This thread is good at addressing why this is true.If you're dying to know in order to pick between firms, wait until you receive an offer to ask about it.

In general, I think the credited approach to questions is to just ask questions that will make the interviewer impressed with your desire to really know more about the firm because you genuinely care about it. I do not think it's productive to ask questions to determine if you like the firm in a screening interview. If you get an offer, then you can think about if you'd like it or hate it and ask the appropriate questions.

I'd rather be employed at a firm I don't like than unemployed.

Myself
Posts: 1372
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:36 pm

.

Postby Myself » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:45 pm

.
Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Detrox
Posts: 411
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:58 pm

Re: What questions to ask during OCI screener?

Postby Detrox » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:29 am

ajax adonis wrote:I would never ever ask a pro bono question. There are so many other better ones to ask anyway.


This is overrepeated and often phenominally untrue. There are a discrete number of firms that do not just have "committed to pro bono" as some brochure selling point but actively look for commitment to this. Can you do nothing but pro bono and be solid there? Of course not, it's a business that needs money, however can you mention your interest in pro bono without being blacklisted and in fact get a boost? Yes.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273107
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What questions to ask during OCI screener?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:58 am

More stock questions please!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273107
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What questions to ask during OCI screener?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:42 am

How does the summer program staff projects?

How do attorneys get slotted into/choose between litigation and corporate?

How, within litigation and corporate, do attorneys get slotted into/choose their specialties? Does it happen right when they start, or are they generalists in their department for some time?

If interviewer is an associate, ask about frequency of interacting with partners, clients, etc.

azntwice
Posts: 160
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:46 pm

Re: What questions to ask during OCI screener?

Postby azntwice » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:40 am

Ask what their favorite thing about the firm is, what the most unusual thing is. Ask how the firm mentors young associates.

User avatar
UVA Cavalier
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:36 am

Re: What questions to ask during OCI screener?

Postby UVA Cavalier » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:43 am

How long do associates typically stay at the firm?
What kind of exit options do associates have?

User avatar
Dr. Review
Posts: 1797
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:51 am

Re: What questions to ask during OCI screener?

Postby Dr. Review » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:50 am

UVA Cavalier wrote:How long do associates typically stay at the firm?
What kind of exit options do associates have?


Am I the only one who doesn't like the idea of asking about your exit options at an interview? I always figured firms would rather hear about how hard you are going to work for them, not how well you can do when you leave.

User avatar
PennBull
Posts: 15361
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:59 pm

Re: What questions to ask during OCI screener?

Postby PennBull » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:53 am

Bedsole wrote:
UVA Cavalier wrote:How long do associates typically stay at the firm?
What kind of exit options do associates have?


Am I the only one who doesn't like the idea of asking about your exit options at an interview? I always figured firms would rather hear about how hard you are going to work for them, not how well you can do when you leave.


Yeah I thought these were both awful.

User avatar
Gecko of Doom
Posts: 415
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:32 pm

Re: What questions to ask during OCI screener?

Postby Gecko of Doom » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:55 am

Bedsole wrote:
UVA Cavalier wrote:How long do associates typically stay at the firm?
What kind of exit options do associates have?


Am I the only one who doesn't like the idea of asking about your exit options at an interview? I always figured firms would rather hear about how hard you are going to work for them, not how well you can do when you leave.

Yeah, do not ask about exit options.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273107
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What questions to ask during OCI screener?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:58 am

Are these the same questions one should ask during a call back?

Zeile
Posts: 132
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:15 am

Re: What questions to ask during OCI screener?

Postby Zeile » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:03 pm

tagged

Anonymous User
Posts: 273107
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What questions to ask during OCI screener?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:14 pm

Awful questions so far.

User avatar
PennBull
Posts: 15361
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:59 pm

Re: What questions to ask during OCI screener?

Postby PennBull » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Awful questions so far.


Tell us, ANONYMOUS USER, what questions would you suggest?

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: What questions to ask during OCI screener?

Postby 071816 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:20 pm

I don't see a problem with a pro bono question or two if the firm is known for doing a lot of pro bono work or something. I just wouldn't go overboard with those kinds of questions (but the same goes for any topic). Questions about the firm (and individual office) culture, what the attorney likes most and least about working there, how summer associates are assigned work, and whether or not there is any sort of mentorship program all seem to be decent questions.

User avatar
ben4847
Posts: 789
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:38 pm

Re: What questions to ask during OCI screener?

Postby ben4847 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:45 pm

How often will I need to stay past 5?

User avatar
androstan
Posts: 2546
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:07 am

Re: What questions to ask during OCI screener?

Postby androstan » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:48 pm

ben4847 wrote:How often will I need to stay past 5?


Should probably always ask this. Also ask if associates ever work Saturdays.

User avatar
Dr. Review
Posts: 1797
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:51 am

Re: What questions to ask during OCI screener?

Postby Dr. Review » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:50 pm

Best possible questions to ask:
I have my own book of work, when I bring it over, could I list you as the originator?
Do you have shower facilities for associates who work overnight?
Do you offer incentives for those associates billing over 2500 hours?
Is the office open on holidays for those associates who would like to work those days?

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: What questions to ask during OCI screener?

Postby r6_philly » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:56 pm

Gecko of Doom wrote:
Bedsole wrote:
UVA Cavalier wrote:How long do associates typically stay at the firm?
What kind of exit options do associates have?


Am I the only one who doesn't like the idea of asking about your exit options at an interview? I always figured firms would rather hear about how hard you are going to work for them, not how well you can do when you leave.

Yeah, do not ask about exit options.


I would ask about longevity at the firm and typical career progression. Actually most firms are open to these questions. It doesn't show that you don't want to work hard, it shows that you know how firms operate. Very few of your fellow class members will make it to partnership review, most will have to leave. It is probably one of the most important consideration in choosing a firm.

I do admit that it really depends on who you are as a candidate and how you ask the question. I am second career, of course I need to make sure I hedge everything. It would be reckless for me to not ask.

User avatar
ben4847
Posts: 789
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:38 pm

Re: What questions to ask during OCI screener?

Postby ben4847 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:57 pm

androstan wrote:
ben4847 wrote:How often will I need to stay past 5?


Should probably always ask this. Also ask if associates ever work Saturdays.


I dn't care about associates. I'm not planning to stay associate very long.

target
Posts: 688
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:40 pm

Re: What questions to ask during OCI screener?

Postby target » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:58 pm

Bedsole wrote:Best possible questions to ask:
I have my own book of work, when I bring it over, could I list you as the originator?
Do you have shower facilities for associates who work overnight?
Do you offer incentives for those associates billing over 2500 hours?
Is the office open on holidays for those associates who would like to work those days?


Along this line would be:

-How easy is it to access firm from a remote location? At night?
-Can all the personal devices that the firm provides link me to the firm network/contact 24/7?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.