a vault firm offered me an internship (beginning this fall)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

a vault firm offered me an internship (beginning this fall)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:49 pm

IT's a v50-70 firm. They phrased it as a potential opportunity. I never summered there but expressed an interest in their office. The partner got back to me and stated that they could offer me only an internship at the moment and if things go well during the internship it has the potential to turn into an attorney/associate position though it is not guaranteed.

Not sure how much they will pay though. It is a paid internship.

How often does this happen at a vault firm?
I know beggars cannot be choosers. I would love to work there. Yet I am also worried....

fatduck

Re: a vault firm offered me an internship (beginning this fall)

Postby fatduck » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:58 pm

worried about..........................................................................................................

shock259

Postby shock259 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:01 pm

Don't get what the problem is here.

Another awesome anon thread.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:02 pm

OP here. don't know how common it is and don't wanna to be identified.
I will have taken the bar by then. I am not a rising 3L.
it sort of reminds me of those craigslist ads: internship with the promise of an attorney job in the end.

$$$$$$

Postby $$$$$$ » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:05 pm

Seriously? Sounds more like someone trying to help you out, not scam you. They are giving you a shot to prove yourself at the firm, what more could you possibly ask for?

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. don't know how common it is and don't wanna to be identified.
I will have taken the bar by then. I am not a rising 3L.
it sort of reminds me of those craigslist ads: internship with the promise of an attorney job in the end.

so you're a graduate with no job lined up, and you're thinking of turning down a paid internship?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:08 pm

its being a vault firm an indicator of its reliability??
I've heard too many horror stories.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:its being a vault firm an indicator of its reliability??

is there any reason to doubt this person? i take it you have interacted with him/her at least, right? ...or are you replying to an anon email "v50_70partnerLOL@gmail.com"?

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:12 pm

i don't know, "a paid internship that has the potential to turn into an attorney/associate position though it is not guaranteed" sounds pretty sketchy. does such a thing exist in the legal field?

androstan

Postby androstan » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:its being a vault firm an indicator of its reliability??

what the freaking hell are you worried about

Myself

Postby Myself » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:13 pm

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:16 pm

OP: fatduck says it all.

I was thrilled to. Now the more I think I more worried I am. maybe I think too much. wish me luck on the bar!

androstan

Postby androstan » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP: fatduck says it all.

I was thrilled to. Now the more I think I more worried I am. maybe I think too much. wish me luck on the bar!

fatduck was being sarcastic, and you're either a troll or clinically neurotic.

pjo

Postby pjo » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:22 pm

I think people are being at least a little overly optimistic about OP's situation. I understand his skeptism. This is highly uncommon, especially for a V50. I would be worried that this is an internship with the potential for a full time position as a staff or contract attorney. I've been around attorneys working as both staff attorneys and actual associates in very small firms, and I can tell you, working as an actual associate in a small firm is signiciantly better than the staff attorney position (although the latter may pay better at first). At least as an associate at the small firm you get a lot of great experience and start learning the trade. As a staff attorney, you're just doing doc review. The firm has no incentive to invest anymore resources in you as need be (and in fact they have a disincentive to do so, becuase they'd be training you just to jump ship for an actual associate position).

On the other hand, if OP has graduated and he/she literally has no other option than this, then yeah you need to take. I'm just saying that working as a contract/staff attorney is something that really sticks with you and I think it's hard to overcome if you ever want to actually work as a real associate somewhere.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:23 pm

Do you have any other options? If it's this or unemployment then the choice is obvious. If you're turning down a real job for this? Without more details it seems very sketchy . . .

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:24 pm

OP: that office has no staff attorney though ....

I swung cum laude at my T20... I knowit's nothing these days. but I dont wanna become a staff attorney :evil: :cry:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:44 pm

OP here.
Thanks guys for the useful cocments as well as sarcastic remarks.
I asked further, and the partner/head of office said he actually 'hopes' that this temporary thing (60 days) will turn into a more permanent associate position if things go fine (depending on my performance...etc). they will make decisions after this period but cannot guarantee anything at this moment.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here.
Thanks guys for the useful cocments as well as sarcastic remarks.
I asked further, and the partner/head of office said he actually 'hopes' that this temporary thing (60 days) will turn into a more permanent associate position if things go fine (depending on my performance...etc). they will make decisions after this period but cannot guarantee anything at this moment.

Sounds like a quasi SA. Which I would want too, if I were the firm. Firms are trying a lot of different things right now, so the fact it's not common doesn't surprise me. The OCI-SA-associate model isn't great for firms.

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:57 pm

*shrug* I don't think it's very common. I also agree with the anon above that you shouldn't turn down a real job for this, but you should obviously accept if the alternative is unemployment.

I mean, it's just 60 days, right? What's the worst that could really happen?

You take the bar, you work there for 60 days while you wait for your bar results. You get your bar results and it's a pass. You're now more marketable to firms than you were before when you were just waiting for the results. If your offer from this V50-70 is a crappy staff attorney position and that's not something you want to do, you can apply to other firms with the 60-day-internship experience in hand and your new license. If your offer from the V50-70 is an associate position and everything went well, then congrats.

Plus, you've already graduated, you're taking the bar, it does sound like a quasi-SA position instead of just flat out hiring a graduate on as an associate.

Take it, dude.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:59 pm

I hope thing are going well for you, IAFG. (so that you won't have to suck dick)

yes, I know. It's actually not surprising that firms will not want to hire someone as an associate straight away without actually seeing that person's work product.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:01 pm

No one offered to trade me, so I guess my offer will be decided on my work product rather than my "work product." Ah well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:05 pm

the head also said after 60 days they might decide to continue having me as an intern, but with the hope of me becoming an associate further on.

Return to “Legal Employment”