Is the term "rising" offensive? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Is the term "rising" offensive?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:06 pm

As in "rising second-year student"?

Big Law Partner alumnus (in response to mass mail):

"Several people found the term 'rising' either off putting or confusing...."
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ben4847

Silver

Re: Is the term "rising" offensive?

Post by ben4847 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:08 pm

Very offensive.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:11 pm

Pretty sure it is more confusing to just say "second-year student."

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:11 pm

What? I've been using "rising" in my cover letters and I don't think it's been a problem. Why would it be offensive (unless you have a dirty mind)?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:12 pm

shock259 wrote:Pretty sure it is more confusing to just say "second-year student."
Yeah, because then they don't know if you are someone who just finished 2L and is desperately job hunting because they screwed up as a 2L or someone who is just starting 2L and wants to get a jump on the process.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:20 pm

I've heard this before as well. Boomers.

Total Litigator

Silver

Post by Total Litigator » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:22 pm

It can definitely be offensive to people who don't know the term. I thought it sounded pretentious when I first heard it, but now that I know what it means, I'm totally fine with the word. So if you use it it's kind of a gamble. I guess I'm actually just curious as to how many employers are familiar with the term "rising" 1L/2L/3L.

ben4847

Silver

Post by ben4847 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:23 pm

ITT: being confusing is offensive

FlanSolo

Bronze

Post by FlanSolo » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:25 pm

Total Litigator wrote:It can definitely be offensive to people who don't know the term. I thought it sounded pretentious when I first heard it, but now that I know what it means, I'm totally fine with the word. So if you use it it's kind of a gamble. I guess I'm actually just curious as to how many employers are familiar with the term "rising" 1L/2L/3L.
Yeah, unless you are someone who is inundated by the word's usage, it sounds a little pretentious. Thus, no reason to use it. Just say, "I just finished my 1L year at XXX"

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:34 pm

Total Litigator wrote:It can definitely be offensive to people who don't know the term. I thought it sounded pretentious when I first heard it, but now that I know what it means, I'm totally fine with the word. So if you use it it's kind of a gamble. I guess I'm actually just curious as to how many employers are familiar with the term "rising" 1L/2L/3L.
That's a good question. Every lawyer 25 and older went to law school in Angola, and they don't use the term "rising 1L, 2L, or 3L" in sub-Saharan Africa.

ETA: Posts the guy who used the term "rising 2L" is all of his cover letters, and is being ravenously sarcastic to hide the anxiety you just produced.
Last edited by lisjjen on Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:35 pm

In my experience, SHIT BOOMERS don't understand what it means.

Monty The Dog

New

Post by Monty The Dog » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:39 pm

This thread is insane. Use the term. Or not. Nobody cares.

petite chouette

New

Post by petite chouette » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:41 pm

I'm confused, why would this be offensive? I have always heard this term... literally, "Summer Reading List for Rising Second-Graders" etc. How else would someone describe what year they are going to be in school during the preceding summer?

/now concerned about what normal words I use that people mysteriously find offensive

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:41 pm

Monty The Dog wrote: This thread (TLS) is insane. Use the term. Or not. Nobody cares.

Total Litigator

Silver

Post by Total Litigator » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:43 pm

lisjjen wrote:
That's a good question. Every lawyer 25 and older went to law school in Angola, and they don't use the term "rising 1L, 2L, or 3L" in sub-Saharan Africa.

ETA: Posts the guy who used the term "rising 2L" is all of his cover letters, and is being ravenously sarcastic to hide the anxiety you just produced.
Lol! I'm actually just curious as to how recent and widely used the term is. I mean, were law students rocking the term rising in the 1960's? Or maybe it started being used in the 90's, but by now everyone in the legal field has been so inundated with the term that they are used to and fine with the term?

My hunch is that the vast majority employers are familiar with the term. However, the only time I ever really mentioned the word in a conversation with someone who hires law students was with a ~40 year old career law clerk in an insular market and he/she looked at me at asked, "Rising?" So that is just anecdotal, probably the exception to the rule, but it did make me wonder.
Last edited by Total Litigator on Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:46 pm

I can't tell if this thread is worse than the coffee one. Thoughts?

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=189917

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:47 pm

shock259 wrote:I can't tell if this thread is worse than the coffee one. Thoughts?

mods could probably delete every thread started by Anonymous User and hit no more than 3 posts of value

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Total Litigator

Silver

Post by Total Litigator » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:51 pm

shock259 wrote:I can't tell if this thread is worse than the coffee one. Thoughts?

How bout, a "partner wants to have coffee with me... I emailed him earlier and used the term 'rising 2L.' Did I just f*** myself?" thread.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:07 pm

This is a completely new and confusing issue to me. Who the hell are these people?

RodneyBoonfield

Bronze

Post by RodneyBoonfield » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:23 pm

"Rising" is not the preferred nomeclature. "Soon to be _L" or "_L", please.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:28 pm

Why did you ask this anonymously? Because you realized it was a retarded question and you were embarrassed? Not the correct anon use bro.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:33 pm

ilovesf wrote:Why did you ask this anonymously? Because you realized it was a retarded question and you were embarrassed? Not the correct anon use bro.
I quoted an actual Big Law partner in the OP. Given it was an issue that was actually raised, I don't see how it's a retarded question.

Quoting letters from Big Law partners sounds like a correct use of the anon feature to me.

breadbucket

Bronze

Post by breadbucket » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:35 pm

ilovesf wrote:Why did you ask this anonymously? Because you realized it was a retarded question and you were embarrassed? Not the correct anon use bro.
TITCR

Gecko of Doom

Bronze

Post by Gecko of Doom » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:37 pm

I cannot fathom a single reason the term "rising" could possibly be problematic. I have used the term in all of my cover letters and have encountered no problems, and our Career Services Office uses it frequently. It seems more professional and concise than "soon-to-be" or any other alternative I can think of.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:41 pm

Gecko of Doom wrote:I cannot fathom a single reason the term "rising" could possibly be problematic. I have used the term in all of my cover letters and have encountered no problems, and our Career Services Office uses it frequently. It seems more professional and concise than "soon-to-be" or any other alternative I can think of.
"Incoming second year law student" is the only legit alternative I can think of.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”