Informational Interviews with Alums

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
MissLucky

Informational Interviews with Alums

Postby MissLucky » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:30 am

Setting up an informational interview/chat with an alum this week at a firm I'm bidding #1 for OCI: how do I frame the e-mail?

and do i reach out to a junior associate (just out of law school for a few years, probably much easier to talk to and not intimidating), or to a partner?

thanks a ton

piccolittle

Re: Informational Interviews with Alums

Postby piccolittle » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:05 pm

MissLucky wrote:Setting up an informational interview/chat with an alum this week at a firm I'm bidding #1 for OCI: how do I frame the e-mail?

and do i reach out to a junior associate (just out of law school for a few years, probably much easier to talk to and not intimidating), or to a partner?

thanks a ton

I would reach out to a junior associate; they might be more willing to be candid about the firm and you will have more of a chance of meeting up with them than with a busier partner. I think that's a great opportunity to get some good talking points for OCI without seeming like you're fishing for a job. JMO. Good luck!

thatgirlthere

Postby thatgirlthere » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:08 pm

You should reach out to anyone you're interested in talking to. I've gotten positive responses from partners and associates alike. The worst you could get is a "I'm busy, but here's who you should contact."

Just say, "I'm a student from ____ and I would like to talk to you about ___. If you have any time, could we meet"

Put the subject as ___ law student.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:27 pm

piccolittle wrote:
MissLucky wrote:Setting up an informational interview/chat with an alum this week at a firm I'm bidding #1 for OCI: how do I frame the e-mail?

thanks a ton

I would reach out to a junior associate; they might be more willing to be candid about the firm and you will have more of a chance of meeting up with them than with a busier partner. I think that's a great opportunity to get some good talking points for OCI without seeming like you're fishing for a job. JMO. Good luck!

definitely this. also, if a junior associate is 1-2 yrs out, then its likely that the recruiting head or interviewer recruited them and knows them pretty well, so your name drop will hopefully be someone 1) that the interviewer knows and 2) that they like (this maybe only applies at huge offices where not everyone knows everyone else).

Return to “Legal Employment”