should i bid on kirkland nyc?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

should i bid on kirkland nyc?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:19 am

i have a decent shot given my gpa and school. want to do litigation. the only reason i wouldn't is that i just hear really very negative things about the firm atmosphere and culture from pretty much anyone who has experience there. thoughts?

Anonymous User

Re: should i bid on kirkland nyc?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:38 am

i'm a current summer associate. i think the firm is awesome and i genuinely like everyone who works here -- everyone is very outgoing and social. all the attorneys have been really welcoming to summers, and we go out to dinner and lunch with them quite frequently. to address some negative stereotypes that you've probably heard:

1) closed doors: people do work with their doors closed, not because they are antisocial but because there is sometimes a lot of chatter in the hallways from people talking to each other. the hallways seem to carry noise very well, so it's easier to concentrate with your door closed. however, all attorneys are open to saying hi and talking to you if you just knock.

2) free market system: i actually love the free market system and think it's great, because you can work on whatever deals with whatever partners you want. some people may not like it because it means less predictability in work. it does tend to attract very outgoing and social people. as with any firm, there will be gunners, but overall no one is backstabbing anyone else because there's just so much work to go around that you don't have to fight over it.

let me know if you have any other questions.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:14 pm

How fratty is the culture? I'm really drawn to K & E because ive heard coworkers go out and hit the bars more after work than other firms. Is this true, particularly in the NYC office? Does it vary much by group -- I'm leaning towards deal work.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:18 pm

Definitely true for many people (restructuring especially, and there are very social corporate associates and partners who go out with summers all the time). There are some who go home after work, but there are many people who do go out together for a drink after work as well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:22 pm

its kind of confusing how the rumors are simultaneously that kirkland is closed-door offices but fratty? those seem conflicting..

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:30 pm

I just walked around my floor. About 3/4 of the doors were open. I work with my door closed only because I find it easier to concentrate. I've never once thought about that relating to firm culture. People pop into my office all day long with the door closed and I pop into others all day long who's door may be closed. Not something I ever think about. People are incredibly social and outgoing here.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I just walked around my floor. About 3/4 of the doors were open. I work with my door closed only because I find it easier to concentrate. I've never once thought about that relating to firm culture. People pop into my office all day long with the door closed and I pop into others all day long who's door may be closed. Not something I ever think about. People are incredibly social and outgoing here.

How shatter-y was your bonus this year? Or are you an SA?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I just walked around my floor. About 3/4 of the doors were open. I work with my door closed only because I find it easier to concentrate. I've never once thought about that relating to firm culture. People pop into my office all day long with the door closed and I pop into others all day long who's door may be closed. Not something I ever think about. People are incredibly social and outgoing here.

How shatter-y was your bonus this year? Or are you an SA?

Summer.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:18 pm

I am confused by all these threads about choosing firms to bid on. It's not like you have so few bids or so many firms in your GPA range that you need to be super cautious about only bidding on dream firms. When you have multiple offers, questions like these make sense, but wouldn't you rather have the KE offer to choose from?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:21 pm

IAFG wrote:I am confused by all these threads about choosing firms to bid on. It's not like you have so few bids or so many firms in your GPA range that you need to be super cautious about only bidding on dream firms. When you have multiple offers, questions like these make sense, but wouldn't you rather have the KE offer to choose from?

i mean, yes. but it also makes sense to not waste bids on firms who's offer you wouldnt accept if there is another firm who you have a relatively equal shot at who you maybe would work for.

pertristis

Postby pertristis » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:22 pm

IAFG wrote:I am confused by all these threads about choosing firms to bid on. It's not like you have so few bids or so many firms in your GPA range that you need to be super cautious about only bidding on dream firms. When you have multiple offers, questions like these make sense, but wouldn't you rather have the KE offer to choose from?

Psh! Logic and reason on TLS? Not allowed.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

i mean, yes. but it also makes sense to not waste bids on firms who's offer you wouldnt accept if there is another firm who you have a relatively equal shot at who you maybe would work for.

I know a lot of people who only had 1-2 offers with KE NY type grades, so I tend to think, more firms with big summer classes than fewer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:its kind of confusing how the rumors are simultaneously that kirkland is closed-door offices but fratty? those seem conflicting..

It's really not that conflicting -- ppl here work hard during the day so that they can play hard at night. :D

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:its kind of confusing how the rumors are simultaneously that kirkland is closed-door offices but fratty? those seem conflicting..

It's really not that conflicting -- ppl here work hard during the day so that they can play hard at night. :D

5ky

Postby 5ky » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:40 pm

KE anon 1, you have been deemed "lame" by KE anon 2. What is your response?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:51 pm

Kirkland restructuring sounds so credited. Above market bonus. Top tier debtor side work. Real shot at 300-350k non equity partnership if you work hard. Bro culture of hitting the bars with actual socially well adjusted fratty lawyers after work. In.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Kirkland restructuring sounds so credited. Above market bonus. Top tier debtor side work. Real shot at 300-350k non equity partnership if you work hard. Bro culture of hitting the bars with actual socially well adjusted fratty lawyers after work. In.

The restructuring group alone pays above market bonus? How does that work?

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Kirkland restructuring sounds so credited. Above market bonus. Top tier debtor side work. Real shot at 300-350k non equity partnership if you work hard. Bro culture of hitting the bars with actual socially well adjusted fratty lawyers after work. In.

The restructuring group alone pays above market bonus? How does that work?

All groups MAY pay above market. Restructuring (from what I've heard) just has so much work that it is easy to bill 2800+ hours and earn a larger bonus.

Thanks to the K/E anons posting in this thread.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:46 pm

I'm at a NYC V10 for the summer. I've met a number of other summer associates from different firms. Nobody really has anything good to say about Kirkland NY. Rumor also has it that a fair number of summer associates there are working in the NYC office for the summer as an attempt to lateral into the more prestigious (and more grade-selective) Chicago office. Which is.....kind of sad.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm at a NYC V10 for the summer. I've met a number of other summer associates from different firms. Nobody really has anything good to say about Kirkland NY. Rumor also has it that a fair number of summer associates there are working in the NYC office for the summer as an attempt to lateral into the more prestigious (and more grade-selective) Chicago office. Which is.....kind of sad.

Another K&E summer. Didn't want to post in here, but this is absolute garbage. Our class is very close and have held the confidence of many summers. Nearly every single summer is loving their time, and not once have I heard anything like this.

I have not heard of a single summer who is looking to move to Chicago, and in fact, the opposite has happened, as Chicago summers have recently moved to NY, as the want to begin their careers in the NYC K&E office.

Sounds like the quoted poster is looking to stir the pot.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:22 pm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm at a NYC V10 for the summer. I've met a number of other summer associates from different firms. Nobody really has anything good to say about Kirkland NY. Rumor also has it that a fair number of summer associates there are working in the NYC office for the summer as an attempt to lateral into the more prestigious (and more grade-selective) Chicago office. Which is.....kind of sad.

Another K&E summer. Didn't want to post in here, but this is absolute garbage. Our class is very close and have held the confidence of many summers. Nearly every single summer is loving their time, and not once have I heard anything like this.

I have not heard of a single summer who is looking to move to Chicago, and in fact, the opposite has happened, as Chicago summers have recently moved to NY, as the want to begin their careers in the NYC K&E office.

Sounds like the quoted poster is looking to stir the pot.

First K&E anon in this thread. I don't know why there are so many negative rumors about it, although I can guess (there's a lot of work and associates do work long hours, which may be why people are unhappy), but all of my friends in the summer class are having an awesome time and have built relationships with attorneys and each other. And from everything I've heard and seen, K&E NY is on the rise, especially the public M&A, restructuring and IP lit groups. High-ranking share partners have said that they are aiming to actively grow the firm in the next few years. Sounds like everyone else on the NY scene is having sour grapes for dinner.

And yes, a Chicago summer did just transfer to the NY office today.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:04 am

I have a K&E screener, West Coast. What sort of #s are competitive for offers? Any notable differences between K&E SF/LA/Palo Alto and Chi/NY other than office size?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:53 am

And with regard to transferring as an SA--how easy is it to do at Kirkland? I know some firms are more open to it than others. For instance if you interview and get an offer with the NYC office, would it ever be possible to lateral to the SF office and start full time there upon graduation?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:31 am

I think the practice areas in the offices are different -- Palo Alto/SF are obviously going to be a lot more IP intensive, although there is some corporate work out there. There is basically no restructuring work in California.

As previously mentioned, a Chicago summer did decide to switch to NY, so it can happen. However, because the SF office is so much smaller, I wouldn't say that it's a sure bet to do a NY to SF switch. I know at least one attorney here (third year) who is thinking about switching from NY to a California office; the firm is presumably open to the switch if your work product has been good.

Return to “Legal Employment”