Networking Through Family Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
charlesxavier

Bronze

Networking Through Family

Post by charlesxavier » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:46 am

I'm in a bit of an awkward position and would appreciate any advice. My wife's step dad has his own business in Florida and one of his customers, David, is an attorney. He mentioned that I'm in law school in Ohio and ended up finding out that David was roommates with a founding partner of a firm that's about 2 minutes from where I live. He said that they're always hiring summer associates and if he talked to his ex-roommate he could at least toss me an interview.

I'm not sure how to handle this. I would really like to call David and introduce myself and let him know that I would greatly appreciate it if he could get me a meeting with his friend in town. However, my in-laws, particularly my mother in law, are being pretty stubborn. They don't want me to speak with anyone and want me to have my wife's step dad be the middleman. Maybe it's just me but I feel that having them speak on my behalf seems a little immature/unprofessional.
Am I making too big of a deal about this and should I just let them do their thing?

fatduck

Gold

Re: Networking Through Family

Post by fatduck » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:48 am

have your stepdad-in-law send your resume to David

done

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”