Email Signature: Yes or no?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
Perseus_I
Posts: 265
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:24 pm

Email Signature: Yes or no?

Postby Perseus_I » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:35 pm

I do not have one. I am a law student, not a Big Law partner. Why would I need one? But many of my classmates do have one. Is it considered appropriate to have an email signature?

If so, in what format?

First Name M. Last Name
XXXXX University School of Law
Class of 2012
Mobile: 666-666-6666
Email: imanunemployeddouche@gmail.com

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Email Signature: Yes or no?

Postby rad lulz » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:41 pm

I just had name and phone number. No one seemed to give a crap.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Email Signature: Yes or no?

Postby dingbat » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:48 pm

Perseus_I wrote:I do not have one. I am a law student, not a Big Law partner. Why would I need one? But many of my classmates do have one. Is it considered appropriate to have an email signature?

If so, in what format?

First Name M. Last Name
XXXXX University School of Law
Class of 2012

Mobile: 666-666-6666
Email: imanunemployeddouche@gmail.com

User avatar
laxbrah420
Posts: 2748
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:53 am

Re: Email Signature: Yes or no?

Postby laxbrah420 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:50 pm

They probably know your email address, no?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Email Signature: Yes or no?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:54 pm

I do all my e-mailing from my regular g-mail account, so I like to include the school so they know I am a student.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Email Signature: Yes or no?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:56 pm

dingbat wrote:
Perseus_I wrote:I do not have one. I am a law student, not a Big Law partner. Why would I need one? But many of my classmates do have one. Is it considered appropriate to have an email signature?

If so, in what format?

First Name M. Last Name
XXXXX University School of Law
Class of 2012

Mobile: 666-666-6666
Email: imanunemployeddouche@gmail.com


People at my school usually do this:

First Last
XXXXX University School of Law
J.D. Candidate XXXX

Personally, I'll go to the trouble of manually typing my phone number in the body of an email if I want someone to have it. I usually don't.

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: Email Signature: Yes or no?

Postby 071816 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:56 pm

Probably doesn't really matter. Just don't put something douchey or stupid and keep it professional.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Email Signature: Yes or no?

Postby dingbat » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I do all my e-mailing from my regular g-mail account, so I like to include the school so they know I am a student.

I think the part where you tell them you're gonna graduate soon and want a job should clue them in.

edit: make sure you have a professional email. Douchebagdrunkmaster@whatever. com is not a good idea
Last edited by dingbat on Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: Email Signature: Yes or no?

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:57 pm

dingbat wrote:
Perseus_I wrote:I do not have one. I am a law student, not a Big Law partner. Why would I need one? But many of my classmates do have one. Is it considered appropriate to have an email signature?

If so, in what format?

First Name M. Last Name
XXXXX University School of Law
Class of 2012

Mobile: 666-666-6666
Email: imanunemployeddouche@gmail.com

GOD DAMMIT YOU SHITBOOMER 0L GET OUT OF THE LEGAL EMPLOYMENT FORUM.

Myself
Posts: 1372
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:36 pm

.

Postby Myself » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:39 am

.
Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Reprisal
Posts: 105
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:51 am

Re: Email Signature: Yes or no?

Postby Reprisal » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:56 am

Your signature should include your valediction of choice and your name, without more.

Anything else is pretentious. If they want to know your school and graduation year they'll look at your re'sume'. No one who doesn't want to see that gives a shit, and they'll be off-put by your inclusion of school and graduation year in your email.

Miller32
Posts: 131
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:51 pm

Re: Email Signature: Yes or no?

Postby Miller32 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:11 am

Reprisal wrote:Your signature should include your valediction of choice and your name, without more.

Anything else is pretentious. If they want to know your school and graduation year they'll look at your re'sume'. No one who doesn't want to see that gives a shit, and they'll be off-put by your inclusion of school and graduation year in your email.


No.

shock259
Posts: 1737
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:30 am

Re: Email Signature: Yes or no?

Postby shock259 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:13 am

Reprisal wrote:Your signature should include your valediction of choice and your name, without more.

Anything else is pretentious. If they want to know your school and graduation year they'll look at your re'sume'. No one who doesn't want to see that gives a shit, and they'll be off-put by your inclusion of school and graduation year in your email.


I love random conjecture stated as fact.

lolwat
Posts: 604
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:30 pm

Re: Email Signature: Yes or no?

Postby lolwat » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:16 am

name
email
phone

hopper123
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:49 pm

Re: Email Signature: Yes or no?

Postby hopper123 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:18 am

.
Last edited by hopper123 on Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anonymcoffee
Posts: 188
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:31 pm

Re: Email Signature: Yes or no?

Postby anonymcoffee » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:28 am

Hmmm i tend to disagree here, i find the name and email so 'bare' as if no thought was put into it. my signature is name, school, phone, and email - I feel like it's a neat package. Often, when I get an email and i still need to respond/deal with it, when I come back to it, I just scroll down, see who it's from, what their position is, and contact information.

I don't understand why it would be douchey, it's professional in every other setting, so why just slap your name and email when you can put more thought into it?

obviously, I dont sign like this w friend haha

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Email Signature: Yes or no?

Postby cinephile » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:41 am

anonymcoffee wrote:Hmmm i tend to disagree here, i find the name and email so 'bare' as if no thought was put into it. my signature is name, school, phone, and email - I feel like it's a neat package. Often, when I get an email and i still need to respond/deal with it, when I come back to it, I just scroll down, see who it's from, what their position is, and contact information.

I don't understand why it would be douchey, it's professional in every other setting, so why just slap your name and email when you can put more thought into it?

obviously, I dont sign like this w friend haha


Tons of emails I get from classmates have signatures like this. It's annoying and yeah, it does come off as pretentious. I'd get it if this was a school email or work email, but when it's the gmail you use to send kitten forwards to people, then it's a bit odd to have your signature like that.

User avatar
JenDarby
Posts: 13298
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Email Signature: Yes or no?

Postby JenDarby » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:54 am

When I send "professional" emails I include one. The firm I'm working at sets up default signatures for everyone, that cant be altered wothout asking IT (function is disabled), or manually deleting it everytime. I don't think it makes a meaningful difference either way, but I certainly don't think a firm is going to look down on you because you have your school name and graduation year in your signature, especially when most people in any position at a firm have the firm name in their signature.

anonymcoffee
Posts: 188
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:31 pm

Re: Email Signature: Yes or no?

Postby anonymcoffee » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:58 am

i just thought this thread seemed very skewed towards no, so I wanted to clarify. I say school email used for professional reasons like emailing a cover letter, a resume, setting up an info. interview, can use a more detailed signature ...doesn't have to say future doctor of law haha

as for gmail and friends/family...hell naw that's just unnecessary

lolwat
Posts: 604
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:30 pm

Re: Email Signature: Yes or no?

Postby lolwat » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:02 am

Sometimes you just use the same email address (even a gmail one) for dual purposes though. Makes no real sense to delete your auto-sig every time you're sending an email to a friend/classmate. I've no problem with people including a little more information and I doubt anyone truly cares, but I just don't see the extra info as necessary and I try not to include unnecessary things in my emails.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.