Munger, Tolles & Olson Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Munger, Tolles & Olson

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What does everyone think about Munger? Any tips on getting hired there?
Maybe the top litigation firm in all of CA (with a strong argument from KVN).

Top tier work, top tier talent.

That said, if you go there just be cognizant of their atmosphere.

They are braniancs, and wear their credentials on their sleeve. They almost indulge in telling other people, and each other, how smart they are, and how credentialed they are. The attitude can almost (stress "almost") veer towards, "so what if we lost the motion, we produced one darn good brief!"

Generally, a good working environment, with strong partnership prospects, but I've known people who've left because they felt the firm had a stealth biglaw attitude towards billables and partnership track (i.e., both can be long).

As to how to get hired. Top 10% of your class at T10 law school (maybe a bit lower for local Top 15 schools like USC/UCLA). Law review, clerkships, etc. I don't think ties to CA (either southern or northern) are that critical.
This is a fair assessment. It's hard to stand out at MTO, which can be a downside. But the hours really are better than at other prestigious firms—Wachtell, W&C, Irell, Susman, Keker, etc. And the firm is open about financials. And everyone gets to vote on everything. Democratic gridlock ftw!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Any idea of their grade requirements coming from HY with LR? And clerkships can't be that relevant at this point considering not even the earliest judges start hiring until next year.
Grade requirements are higher at H than at Y, since Yale has only one semester of grades. LR helps a lot. It's hard to decipher Harvard's grading system these days, so you probably need to be in the top quarter or so among those who interview at OCI.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know about facetime/dress code/start and end times?
MTO doesn't really care about facetime, and many attorneys are gone by 5 or 6—though some then work from home. Also, a fair number of attorneys simply work from home on Friday, and the office is barren on weekends.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:26 pm

Bump for people starting to do CBs at MTO. Has anyone interviewed there? Anyone considering an offer there?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Bump for people starting to do CBs at MTO. Has anyone interviewed there? Anyone considering an offer there?

They have started doing CBs. Is there anything specific you want to know?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Bump for people starting to do CBs at MTO. Has anyone interviewed there? Anyone considering an offer there?

any idea how long after the CB the offer is typically made?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:38 pm

I have an upcoming callback, any advice you can give? Anything very specific or unique at a Munger cb?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

any idea how long after the CB the offer is typically made?
It really varies. Anywhere from a few days to a week or two. Don't read anything into it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:I have an upcoming callback, any advice you can give? Anything very specific or unique at a Munger cb?
You won't get a list of interviewers until the morning of the interview. If you get a chance to meet with your screening-interviewer before your call back interviews, ask him or her about the people you will meet.

Be prepared for substantive questions about your writing sample, your classes, and your interests.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:41 am

Anyone else picking between the two?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:08 am

You have an offer from munger? How long did it take between cb and offer? I was told that it takes several weeks before they have their group meeting thing...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:You have an offer from munger? How long did it take between cb and offer? I was told that it takes several weeks before they have their group meeting thing...
A couple days.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:You have an offer from munger? How long did it take between cb and offer? I was told that it takes several weeks before they have their group meeting thing...
A couple days.
+1. 3-4 business days from cb to offer. My interviews weren't as substantive/challenging as some others described. They generally seemed pretty cool and laid back, but clearly incredibly legit. Liked the fact that they didn't feel the need to demonstrate their chops in person - the bios conveyed it perfectly well on their own.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”