Munger, Tolles & Olson Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Munger, Tolles & Olson

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:26 pm

What does everyone think about Munger? Any tips on getting hired there?

Anonymous User

Re: Munger, Tolles & Olson

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:27 pm

supppppper selective
80% have clerked

Judge Watford used to work there as of May!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:28 pm

Be top 10% + LR from a T14, connections to CA help.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What does everyone think about Munger? Any tips on getting hired there?
Maybe the top litigation firm in all of CA (with a strong argument from KVN).

Top tier work, top tier talent.

That said, if you go there just be cognizant of their atmosphere.

They are braniancs, and wear their credentials on their sleeve. They almost indulge in telling other people, and each other, how smart they are, and how credentialed they are. The attitude can almost (stress "almost") veer towards, "so what if we lost the motion, we produced one darn good brief!"

Generally, a good working environment, with strong partnership prospects, but I've known people who've left because they felt the firm had a stealth biglaw attitude towards billables and partnership track (i.e., both can be long).

As to how to get hired. Top 10% of your class at T10 law school (maybe a bit lower for local Top 15 schools like USC/UCLA). Law review, clerkships, etc. I don't think ties to CA (either southern or northern) are that critical.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:49 pm

Lucky enough to end up with an interview there. Was told by my CSO at CCN that I basically have no chance without LR. Sounds like an amazing firm though and would love to work there.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Lucky enough to end up with an interview there. Was told by my CSO at CCN that I basically have no chance without LR. Sounds like an amazing firm though and would love to work there.
An interview for this upcoming summer? Already?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Lucky enough to end up with an interview there. Was told by my CSO at CCN that I basically have no chance without LR. Sounds like an amazing firm though and would love to work there.
Yeah. Through the Bay Area Fair.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:17 pm

Interviewed & received an offer there during one of the last five OCI cycles. I don't think many people turn MTO down, so I don't want to out myself by being more specific. Was top 5% with LR from a T14. Really liked it, but had to choose another city for personal reasons. If I end up in LA in the future, that is where I would want to work.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
How does one sign up for this? is it too late?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Interviewed & received an offer there during one of the last five OCI cycles. I don't think many people turn MTO down, so I don't want to out myself by being more specific. Was top 5% with LR from a T14. Really liked it, but had to choose another city for personal reasons. If I end up in LA in the future, that is where I would want to work.
Can you please pm me?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
How does one sign up for this? is it too late?
Not until next year sadly

Magnificent

Bronze

Post by Magnificent » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:33 pm

munger is easily the best firm in la

in terms of biglaw firms.....only w&c and wachtell are in the same class

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:40 pm

Would not having LR kill you if you're top 5% from a T-14 and on a secondary?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Haymarket

Bronze

Post by Haymarket » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:45 pm

Magnificent wrote:munger is easily the best firm in la

in terms of biglaw firms.....only w&c and wachtell are in the same class
Oh, you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What does everyone think about Munger? Any tips on getting hired there?

They are braniancs, and wear their credentials on their sleeve. They almost indulge in telling other people, and each other, how smart they are, and how credentialed they are. The attitude can almost (stress "almost") veer towards, "so what if we lost the motion, we produced one darn good brief!"

Generally, a good working environment, with strong partnership prospects, but I've known people who've left because they felt the firm had a stealth biglaw attitude towards billables and partnership track (i.e., both can be long).

As to how to get hired. Top 10% of your class at T10 law school (maybe a bit lower for local Top 15 schools like USC/UCLA). Law review, clerkships, etc. I don't think ties to CA (either southern or northern) are that critical.
Any idea of their grade requirements coming from HY with LR? And clerkships can't be that relevant at this point considering not even the earliest judges start hiring until next year.

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:03 pm

ph14 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Interviewed & received an offer there during one of the last five OCI cycles. I don't think many people turn MTO down, so I don't want to out myself by being more specific. Was top 5% with LR from a T14. Really liked it, but had to choose another city for personal reasons. If I end up in LA in the future, that is where I would want to work.
Can you please pm me?
+1 plz, have a screener with mto coming up

anon168

Silver

Post by anon168 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Would not having LR kill you if you're top 5% from a T-14 and on a secondary?
LR is not mandatory.

Let's put it this way, if you had a prestigious COA but no LR is not a death-knell (i.e., because your school, e.g. NYU, was write-on and you didn't want to write on then you're not going to get dinged because of it).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

anon168

Silver

Post by anon168 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Any idea of their grade requirements coming from HY with LR? And clerkships can't be that relevant at this point considering not even the earliest judges start hiring until next year.
Sorry, I was the original poster (posted anonymously by accident). PM me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:41 pm

Anyone know about facetime/dress code/start and end times?

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:11 pm

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anon168

Silver

Post by anon168 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know about facetime/dress code/start and end times?
Dress code is business casual.

Facetime? As a summer or as an associate? If the latter, not that different than any other firm; in other words, no one goes around checking if you are in the office at X pm. Just get your work done.

Start/end times? Come again? You mean for the summer? I think they are flexible, also flexible with you splitting.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

DreamShake

Bronze

Post by DreamShake » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:32 pm

sundance95 wrote:
ph14 wrote:
Can you please pm me?
+1 plz, have a screener with mto coming up
+1, please!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:45 am

Anyone know if MTO takes 3Ls?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know if MTO takes 3Ls?
Almost never.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know if MTO takes 3Ls?
Almost never.
You have a shot if you have a clerkship lined up. You don't apply through the normal OCI process, though, so it helps if you know someone. They hired a pre-clerk last summer and another one this summer. I am or recently was a summer at MTO, so feel free to ask questions.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”