Prefer DC location, but NY practice

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Prefer DC location, but NY practice

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:00 pm

I'm compiling my bid list at MVP and targeting NY and DC.

I have geographical ties to DC and would prefer to live there, however I am more interested in corporate work. It seems like there is no way to reconcile my geographical and practice area preferences. Is this right?

Morgan12Oak

Re: Prefer DC location, but NY practice

Postby Morgan12Oak » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:02 pm

Basically correct. Something's going to have to give. Some DC firms can give you good corporate work, but it won't be of the same sort/scale/magnitude/frequency as the NY ones.

monkey85

Postby monkey85 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:20 pm

Say hello to Latham.

Loose Seal

Postby Loose Seal » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm compiling my bid list at MVP and targeting NY and DC.

I have geographical ties to DC and would prefer to live there, however I am more interested in corporate work. It seems like there is no way to reconcile my geographical and practice area preferences. Is this right?

Focus on NY firms with strong DC branch offices. You'll get NY work, NY pay, DC quality of life.

ETA: that said, for corporate, you still won't have complete parity in the quality of your work I'd imagine. It may depend on the workings and integration of the specific firms.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:36 pm

Unless you are fixated on keeping up with the Jones when it comes to deal tables, Hogan has a great corporate practice in DC.

Return to “Legal Employment”