Transferring from Boston to NYC, Bidding Boston = Insane?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273266
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Transferring from Boston to NYC, Bidding Boston = Insane?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:57 am

Just pulled the trigger to transfer from BU/BC to NYU. Overall, feeling confident about my decision. There are 1-2 firms in Boston that I really really like (Ropes and WilmerHale). Obviously both have smaller NYC offices.

Would it be a complete waste to bid these firms? Boston's a cool city and I have a few family ties (spent every summer growing up in New England). Could I pass the screening interview question with just a "It was the right long term career decision to transfer. Nothing against Boston, NYU just gives me more opportunities in the long run."

Like I said, I made my choice to transfer on the presumption that this was impossible so there's no love lost if that's the case. Just curious to see what other people think.

User avatar
bceagles182
Posts: 615
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:53 pm

Re: Transferring from Boston to NYC, Bidding Boston = Insane?

Postby bceagles182 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just pulled the trigger to transfer from BU/BC to NYU. Overall, feeling confident about my decision. There are 1-2 firms in Boston that I really really like (Ropes and WilmerHale). Obviously both have smaller NYC offices.

Would it be a complete waste to bid these firms? Boston's a cool city and I have a few family ties (spent every summer growing up in New England). Could I pass the screening interview question with just a "It was the right long term career decision to transfer. Nothing against Boston, NYU just gives me more opportunities in the long run."

Like I said, I made my choice to transfer on the presumption that this was impossible so there's no love lost if that's the case. Just curious to see what other people think.


Perhaps there's someone with personal experience here, but I wouldn't waste your bids on them.

shock259
Posts: 1737
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:30 am

Re: Transferring from Boston to NYC, Bidding Boston = Insane?

Postby shock259 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:06 pm

IMO, it would probably depend on your ties. I think you could sell it as a short-term business decision if you have pretty strong ties. But if your only ties are visiting the area each summer, it's probably not a great idea.

Only 2 firms from my previous law school's market are coming to CLS. I'll prob bid them at the very bottom because the market is so small. That said, I have tons of ties to that area so I think they are worth the bid.

User avatar
ben4847
Posts: 789
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:38 pm

Re: Transferring from Boston to NYC, Bidding Boston = Insane?

Postby ben4847 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:11 pm

I think Ropes and Wilmer Hale would both easily understand wanting to transfer to NYU while still being interested in working in Boston.

Although, if your only tie to Boston was that you went to school there for 1 year...

User avatar
bceagles182
Posts: 615
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:53 pm

Re: Transferring from Boston to NYC, Bidding Boston = Insane?

Postby bceagles182 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:15 pm

Firms in Boston are very cautious about flight risk to NYC. If you were high in your class at BU/BC, you were in position to get jobs are Ropes & Wilmer. Your transferring away strongly suggests that you wanted opportunities in NY.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273266
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Transferring from Boston to NYC, Bidding Boston = Insane?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:17 pm

shock259 wrote:IMO, it would probably depend on your ties. I think you could sell it as a short-term business decision if you have pretty strong ties. But if your only ties are visiting the area each summer, it's probably not a great idea.

Only 2 firms from my previous law school's market are coming to CLS. I'll prob bid them at the very bottom because the market is so small. That said, I have tons of ties to that area so I think they are worth the bid.



OP here

Eh, I agree, the ties thing is a bit messy. Like I said, plenty of family in the area, spent lots of time there over the course of my life, 1L year and 1L summer there.

We'll see when EIW comes if firms actually buy that.

I'm originally from Cali (immediate family is back there and Undergrad as well as WE was there) so I'm contemplating bidding SF as well, strong ties to central Cali.

Tentative plan:

2 Bids in Boston (Ropes, WilmerHale)
Majority of bids in NYC
Secondary market bids in SF

Thoughts on this plan anyone? I know everyone says don't bid 3 markets (especially since I'm a transfer) but do those 2 bids foreclose picking SF as secondary market?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273266
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Transferring from Boston to NYC, Bidding Boston = Insane?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:18 pm

bceagles182 wrote:Firms in Boston are very cautious about flight risk to NYC. If you were high in your class at BU/BC, you were in position to get jobs are Ropes & Wilmer. Your transferring away strongly suggests that you wanted opportunities in NY.


Very very true. Like I said, if I try this at all, it will be very focused on career/long term opportunities that BU/BC didn't have (clerkship, gov't, better chance at nat'l placement, etc.).

-OP

Anonymous User
Posts: 273266
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Transferring from Boston to NYC, Bidding Boston = Insane?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:57 pm

ben4847 wrote:I think Ropes and Wilmer Hale would both easily understand wanting to transfer to NYU while still being interested in working in Boston.

Although, if your only tie to Boston was that you went to school there for 1 year...


I don't know about this. I talked to a partner at Wilmer Hale the other day who told me one of his biggest concerns about who to callback is how much enthusiasm they have for working in Boston.

My general feeling is that Ropes may care less though, based off the fact that I've heard they are very happy to have people split between NY and Boston.

User avatar
ben4847
Posts: 789
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:38 pm

Re: Transferring from Boston to NYC, Bidding Boston = Insane?

Postby ben4847 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
ben4847 wrote:I think Ropes and Wilmer Hale would both easily understand wanting to transfer to NYU while still being interested in working in Boston.

Although, if your only tie to Boston was that you went to school there for 1 year...


I don't know about this. I talked to a partner at Wilmer Hale the other day who told me one of his biggest concerns about who to callback is how much enthusiasm they have for working in Boston.

My general feeling is that Ropes may care less though, based off the fact that I've heard they are very happy to have people split between NY and Boston.


Certainly. Boston is a secondary market, and you need to show ties. If OP is grew up in Boston, that should suffice. If OP grew up in SF, and strongest connection to Boston was going to BU, then it may be hard.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.