How many screeners is too much? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How many screeners is too much?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:26 pm

I go to NYU and just got back a list of 25 scheduled screeners. We have the option to opt-in to a waitlist for the rest of the firms, but the catch is that if you get the screener off the waitlist, you MUST interview with them. I have horrible grades (say, bottom 15%). Accordingly, I've been told by everyone that I need to maximize my amount of screeners. This would mean opting into all of the 25 or so that I didn't get. Is this smart? I'm worried that I might get more than I can handle, having to do something like 35 screeners in 3 days. Any advice? What do you think the perfect amount of screeners is, keeping in mind that I have bad grades?

rad lulz

Platinum

Re: How many screeners is too much?

Post by rad lulz » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:30 pm

Do EVERY SCREENER YOU CAN because your grades are impressing no one. Also, hope you're mass mailing whatever markets you have ties, like, right now.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:49 pm

Bottom 15% grades, you should be begging for interviews, not turning them down.

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:58 pm

You're in the range where firms stop differentiating based on grades and the key to success is impressing via interview. Accordingly, maximizing your opportuniies of impressing via your interview makes sense. And you won't get 10 off the WL. Your schedule is pretty full already so you'll have time conflicts even if spots open up. If you don't drop any (you shouldn't) I woe be surprised of you got more than 2.

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I go to NYU and just got back a list of 25 scheduled screeners. We have the option to opt-in to a waitlist for the rest of the firms, but the catch is that if you get the screener off the waitlist, you MUST interview with them. I have horrible grades (say, bottom 15%). Accordingly, I've been told by everyone that I need to maximize my amount of screeners. This would mean opting into all of the 25 or so that I didn't get. Is this smart? I'm worried that I might get more than I can handle, having to do something like 35 screeners in 3 days. Any advice? What do you think the perfect amount of screeners is, keeping in mind that I have bad grades?
I wish my school had odds like that. I got 18 from bidding and 6 from the waitlist and I still hustled for 3 more during the week. To have 25 with the strong opportunity of 25 more would have been my greatest dream. The most I ever had in one day was 10 and I still felt bad after that day that I somehow couldn't have gotten more because I knew that was my one shot at avoiding the poverty of doc review. It didn't hurt in the least to do that many.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Haymarket

Bronze

Post by Haymarket » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:14 pm

The bad grammar of the title makes me incapable of making a substantive contribution.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:15 pm

What grades constitute bottom 15%?

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:11 am

How many screeners are too many? You'll be fine.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:56 am

FWIW: My T10 grades are median and I have 24 OCI interviews, plus another 14 job fair screener interviews. I know it seems like overload, but ITE, is there such a thing as too many interviews?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:FWIW: My T10 grades are median and I have 24 OCI interviews, plus another 14 job fair screener interviews. I know it seems like overload, but ITE, is there such a thing as too many interviews?
No. No such thing as too many.

bceagles182

Silver

Post by bceagles182 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:08 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:FWIW: My T10 grades are median and I have 24 OCI interviews, plus another 14 job fair screener interviews. I know it seems like overload, but ITE, is there such a thing as too many interviews?
I did something close to this last year. It's exhausting but certainly doable.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:37 pm

bceagles182 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
I did something close to this last year. It's exhausting but certainly doable.
How many call backs (and/or offers did you receive)?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:39 pm

I did a total of 27 screening interviews. I got 6 callbacks, and 1 offer.

DO EVERY SINGLE INTERVIEW. The economy is shit and you need every one of them.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I did a total of 27 screening interviews. I got 6 callbacks, and 1 offer.

Grade range and school range? Makes me a bit worried, I didn't apply to very many firms; only ones I wanted to work at.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:48 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I did a total of 27 screening interviews. I got 6 callbacks, and 1 offer.

Grade range and school range? Makes me a bit worried, I didn't apply to very many firms; only ones I wanted to work at.
That was stupid. I saw a guy from my school get rejected from 13 CBs before getting an offer on the 14th. Similarly high grades to yours from a UT/Vandy/UCLA school. You never know.

socraticmethodman

Bronze

Post by socraticmethodman » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:55 pm

rad lulz wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:

That was stupid. I saw a guy from my school get rejected from 13 CBs before getting an offer on the 14th. Similarly high grades to yours from a UT/Vandy/UCLA school. You never know.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:12 pm

T-30, Top 20%, LR. Granted, I was interviewing strictly for CA offices (meaning most of them had extremely small SA classes). But I don't think I'm a terrible interviewer (definitely not amazing though), so you should absolutely prepare for the worst. Let's just say I got really REALLY lucky.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:13 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Agreed. I picked up as many interviews as I could get, to be honest.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:05 pm

What is the objective of the callback other than they are indicating interest. If all goes well on the callback, do they ask for another meeting, or what?

If you have “been there, done that,” would you walk us through your experience, up to the offer (including written agreement, wage, etc.)? Whatever else you can think of would be helpful. Thanks.

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What is the objective of the callback other than they are indicating interest. If all goes well on the callback, do they ask for another meeting, or what?

If you have “been there, done that,” would you walk us through your experience, up to the offer (including written agreement, wage, etc.)? Whatever else you can think of would be helpful. Thanks.
Think you might be misunderstanding what a callback is. Search function should help with your questions...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Agreed. I picked up as many interviews as I could get, to be honest.
I agree, you don't have enough until you have an offer in hand. Even then, you could still shoot for a better offer. I have more than 40 screeners (OCI + fairs) and a couple of callback scheduled already from mailing. And I had a 1L SA.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:36 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:

Was your list at least enough to fill up the 25 slots?

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:53 pm

Yay - this is a great kick in the ass. Mass mailing starts today.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What is the objective of the callback other than they are indicating interest. If all goes well on the callback, do they ask for another meeting, or what?

check the sticky in the employment forum (mechanics of OCI or something)

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:19 pm

f0bolous wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:

Was your list at least enough to fill up the 25 slots?
I only used 20 bids. I figured I was ok since I've been told that every haynes and boone fast track participant gets an offer. But HB week doesn't start for another week, so we'll see...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”