NLRB/DOL Honors Programs and Employment Firms

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273531
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NLRB/DOL Honors Programs and Employment Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:52 am

Re: Littler Mendelson

I had applied in mid-August, and followed up with them a few weeks after. They told me they'd update me within the next couple of weeks and I haven't heard anything since. I'm really curious if anyone knows anything about their summer associate program, how many people they hire right out of school, etc. I'm interested in both LA and SF.... the information seems hard to come by, and I can't locate any NALP forms.[/quote]
Are you a 2L or 3L?[/quote]

2L, and I have since been informed that despite saying that their LA offices were hiring for a summer program, they're actually not.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273531
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NLRB/DOL Honors Programs and Employment Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have any information on Fisher & Phillips, especially regarding Irvine office---i.e. hours, pay, office culture, attrition rate, interaction with other offices, firm respect in L&E world, etc. Thanks!

I only know they are very well respected in the L&E world. I had a screener with them a month ago but haven't heard back. Firm culture sounded strong, but might skew older. The pay is below market but I'm not sure what exactly; I believe at least 120k though.


I am really hoping to work for the firm myself - they're #11 in L&E per vault, and I think that they are expanding their presence. They're still much smaller than Littler, but they have the same advantage of focusing exclusively on L&E. I have interacted with some of their attorneys professionally and have been impressed (knowledgeable, and they know how to get their way without making everyone hate their personalities along the way). I believe that they're less of a "chew em up, spit em out" kind of firm than a Big Law firm with a strong employment practice (i.e. Paul Hastings, Proskauer, Morgan Lewis, etc), and that promote employee development more than you find at bigger firms. I am not too familiar with any other aspects of your question, but I believe that they start in the 120s or 130s.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273531
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NLRB/DOL Honors Programs and Employment Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have any information on Fisher & Phillips, especially regarding Irvine office---i.e. hours, pay, office culture, attrition rate, interaction with other offices, firm respect in L&E world, etc. Thanks!

I only know they are very well respected in the L&E world. I had a screener with them a month ago but haven't heard back. Firm culture sounded strong, but might skew older. The pay is below market but I'm not sure what exactly; I believe at least 120k though.


I am really hoping to work for the firm myself - they're #11 in L&E per vault, and I think that they are expanding their presence. They're still much smaller than Littler, but they have the same advantage of focusing exclusively on L&E. I have interacted with some of their attorneys professionally and have been impressed (knowledgeable, and they know how to get their way without making everyone hate their personalities along the way). I believe that they're less of a "chew em up, spit em out" kind of firm than a Big Law firm with a strong employment practice (i.e. Paul Hastings, Proskauer, Morgan Lewis, etc), and that promote employee development more than you find at bigger firms. I am not too familiar with any other aspects of your question, but I believe that they start in the 120s or 130s.

Not sure if they hired anyone. I actually interviewed with them months ago as a 3L and never heard back. This was the case with everyone else I talked to. They even ignored my follow ups.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273531
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NLRB/DOL Honors Programs and Employment Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have any information on Fisher & Phillips, especially regarding Irvine office---i.e. hours, pay, office culture, attrition rate, interaction with other offices, firm respect in L&E world, etc. Thanks!

I only know they are very well respected in the L&E world. I had a screener with them a month ago but haven't heard back. Firm culture sounded strong, but might skew older. The pay is below market but I'm not sure what exactly; I believe at least 120k though.


They are great for conservative white males - not so great if you're anything other than that and looking for a good long term fit.

Not sure if they hired anyone. I actually interviewed with them months ago as a 3L and never heard back. This was the case with everyone else I talked to. They even ignored my follow ups.


My understanding is that they leave associate inquiries open for quite awhile, and have only one office handling all inquiries so that isn't entirely unexpected. It seems all firms are jumping on this trend lately - it's supremely frustrating, but hopefully they'll follow up at some point…
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273531
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NLRB/DOL Honors Programs and Employment Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My understanding is that they leave associate inquiries open for quite awhile, and have only one office handling all inquiries so that isn't entirely unexpected. It seems all firms are jumping on this trend lately - it's supremely frustrating, but hopefully they'll follow up at some point…

pretty sure they finished hiring a while back and if you haven't heard back, it's likely a rejection.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273531
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NLRB/DOL Honors Programs and Employment Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:33 pm

Reviving this thread. Anyone heard from NLRB yet?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273531
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NLRB/DOL Honors Programs and Employment Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Reviving this thread. Anyone heard from NLRB yet?


nothing! I've heard they stretch the process, though, as they won't know how many they can hire until January.

jamesm722
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:21 pm

Re: NLRB/DOL Honors Programs and Employment Firms

Postby jamesm722 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:18 pm

I haven't. Also interview with DOL, that supposedly goes until January-February until they send anything out. Only 1 round too.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273531
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NLRB/DOL Honors Programs and Employment Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:09 pm

FYI: Someone just posted on Facebook (eugh) about doing an NLRB interview today. No idea if this is regional, HQ, Honors, etc. Just putting it out there.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273531
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NLRB/DOL Honors Programs and Employment Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:FYI: Someone just posted on Facebook (eugh) about doing an NLRB interview today. No idea if this is regional, HQ, Honors, etc. Just putting it out there.


Ugh. No calls here, so maybe no luck...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273531
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NLRB/DOL Honors Programs and Employment Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:FYI: Someone just posted on Facebook (eugh) about doing an NLRB interview today. No idea if this is regional, HQ, Honors, etc. Just putting it out there.


Ugh. No calls here, so maybe no luck...


Facebook person updated - was with OGC. Other offices may still be in play!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273531
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NLRB/DOL Honors Programs and Employment Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:FYI: Someone just posted on Facebook (eugh) about doing an NLRB interview today. No idea if this is regional, HQ, Honors, etc. Just putting it out there.


Ugh. No calls here, so maybe no luck...


Facebook person updated - was with OGC. Other offices may still be in play!


Nice! Thanks for the update. There's still hope!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273531
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NLRB/DOL Honors Programs and Employment Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:28 pm

Honors Program update - I've done two interviews with a regional office last week, and have another scheduled for a different region the first week of December. No word on timeline after this point, but from what I understand these are the first regions to begin interviewing (their words).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273531
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NLRB/DOL Honors Programs and Employment Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Honors Program update - I've done two interviews with a regional office last week, and have another scheduled for a different region the first week of December. No word on timeline after this point, but from what I understand these are the first regions to begin interviewing (their words).


Could you hint at a location?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273531
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NLRB/DOL Honors Programs and Employment Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:38 pm

Buffalo was the first, I don't feel comfortable saying the second because I'm not sure if they've begun interviewing other candidates

Anonymous User
Posts: 273531
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NLRB/DOL Honors Programs and Employment Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Buffalo was the first, I don't feel comfortable saying the second because I'm not sure if they've begun interviewing other candidates


I get it, dude. I was just wondering about general locations. Your answer helps tons.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273531
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NLRB/DOL Honors Programs and Employment Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:44 pm

No other word for NLRB interviews? Or follow up from DOL? Anybody apply to unions? AFL-CIO?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273531
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NLRB/DOL Honors Programs and Employment Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:No other word for NLRB interviews? Or follow up from DOL? Anybody apply to unions? AFL-CIO?


I heard from someone at DOL that the Honors Hiring Committee recently got recommendations from interviewers. So, they are probably in the narrowing-down stage now.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273531
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NLRB/DOL Honors Programs and Employment Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:No other word for NLRB interviews? Or follow up from DOL? Anybody apply to unions? AFL-CIO?


I heard from someone at DOL that the Honors Hiring Committee recently got recommendations from interviewers. So, they are probably in the narrowing-down stage now.


The agony...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273531
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NLRB/DOL Honors Programs and Employment Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:No other word for NLRB interviews? Or follow up from DOL? Anybody apply to unions? AFL-CIO?


I heard from someone at DOL that the Honors Hiring Committee recently got recommendations from interviewers. So, they are probably in the narrowing-down stage now.


Had an interview with GC side. Interviews will continue into the first week of Dec. Regional and Board side I was told are still contacting for interviews.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273531
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NLRB/DOL Honors Programs and Employment Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:No other word for NLRB interviews? Or follow up from DOL? Anybody apply to unions? AFL-CIO?


I heard from someone at DOL that the Honors Hiring Committee recently got recommendations from interviewers. So, they are probably in the narrowing-down stage now.


Had an interview with GC side. Interviews will continue into the first week of Dec. Regional and Board side I was told are still contacting for interviews.

Is this for the nlrb?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273531
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NLRB/DOL Honors Programs and Employment Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:No other word for NLRB interviews? Or follow up from DOL? Anybody apply to unions? AFL-CIO?


I heard from someone at DOL that the Honors Hiring Committee recently got recommendations from interviewers. So, they are probably in the narrowing-down stage now.



Is there a separate DOL Honors thread? I need a safe place to put my crazy. I cant believe they had to wait so long last year!?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273531
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NLRB/DOL Honors Programs and Employment Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Is there a separate DOL Honors thread? I need a safe place to put my crazy. I cant believe they had to wait so long last year!?


We can talk here. I'm dying too. I wanna email so bad and ask if I'm still under considerations but I have no update to provide :(

Anonymous User
Posts: 273531
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NLRB/DOL Honors Programs and Employment Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Is there a separate DOL Honors thread? I need a safe place to put my crazy. I cant believe they had to wait so long last year!?


We can talk here. I'm dying too. I wanna email so bad and ask if I'm still under considerations but I have no update to provide :(


I'm sure you can still email a "letter expressing continued interest" and that you'd be willing to send an additional writing sample, etc.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273531
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NLRB/DOL Honors Programs and Employment Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:05 pm

Sorry this is so late. Haven't been thinking about TLS for a while...

I had an interview with DOL for a regional office honors placement about a month ago. They told me they don't do second interviews for regional offices, and that offers or official dings will be forthcoming once federal funding for 2015 is passed. It seemed they were doing all the regional interviews within a week or two span, so my guess is that those are over now.

It was in a big city. Sorry, don't really want to say more.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.