NLRB/DOL Honors Programs and Employment Firms

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: NLRB/DOL Honors Programs and Employment Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Offered/Accepted DOL national office position.

Stats? Interested in applying next year and would like to have some idea of what they're looking for.

Revealing as much as possible, I was at a T30 school, LR, but nothing stellar in terms of grades. Government work experience while in LS (including SOL) and after graduation.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Stats? Interested in applying next year and would like to have some idea of what they're looking for.

Revealing as much as possible, I was at a T30 school, LR, but nothing stellar in terms of grades. Government work experience while in LS (including SOL) and after graduation.

Do you think anything in particular helped you? I interviewed this year in the regions (heard back from somewhere else before they got back to me) and they seemed to ask me a lot of questions about what experience I had in litigation/trial work (which makes sense, since the regions are very heavy in lit compared to the nat'l office). Did the national office have a similar focus or were the questions in the interview mostly generic interview questions (ie, Why DOL, Why government, etc etc)?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Do you think anything in particular helped you? I interviewed this year in the regions (heard back from somewhere else before they got back to me) and they seemed to ask me a lot of questions about what experience I had in litigation/trial work (which makes sense, since the regions are very heavy in lit compared to the nat'l office). Did the national office have a similar focus or were the questions in the interview mostly generic interview questions (ie, Why DOL, Why government, etc etc)?

I interned at a DOL regional office but I expressed interest in both national and regional. I think my resume naturally showed interest in litigation and my interview started with generic questions but naturally led to specific areas within DOL I was interested in (also based on the work I had done at the internship) and my interest in labor law overall compared to the work I'm doing now.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:44 pm

Has anybody gotten any news from NLRB regional offices lately?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:Has anybody gotten any news from NLRB regional offices lately?

I accepted a regional office position about a month ago, and I know another offer was made/accepted around that time for a separate region. I'm interning in that separate region, but accepted for one that's closer to home for me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:47 pm

To the above poster -- was that a firm job offer, or was it a "pending approval from Washington" job offer? I received one of the latter type from a regional NLRB office about a month ago. I guess I'm just curious if there is a firmer type of job offer out there than the one I got, how sure of a thing these "just need approval from Washington" job offers are, that sort of thing...

bigeast03

Postby bigeast03 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:To the above poster -- was that a firm job offer, or was it a "pending approval from Washington" job offer? I received one of the latter type from a regional NLRB office about a month ago. I guess I'm just curious if there is a firmer type of job offer out there than the one I got, how sure of a thing these "just need approval from Washington" job offers are, that sort of thing...

Anon from above. Don't really need to be, I suppose. Feel free to PM.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:24 am

anyone hear from the NLRB regional offices?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:24 pm

Regional office offer rescinded. Told it would be agency-wide. Can't verify, but that's what I was told on the phone.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Regional office offer rescinded. Told it would be agency-wide. Can't verify, but that's what I was told on the phone.

I was told something similar as well, except I never got to the offer part. I hope that something changes.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Regional office offer rescinded. Told it would be agency-wide. Can't verify, but that's what I was told on the phone.

I was told something similar as well, except I never got to the offer part. I hope that something changes.

First anon - I already went through the security interview and received a "final offer." So I turned down other jobs. This sucks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:29 pm

WTF, why???

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:14 am

NY regional office is advertising for a position on my school's Symplicity. So they are rescinding offers and then posting vacancies?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:NY regional office is advertising for a position on my school's Symplicity. So they are rescinding offers and then posting vacancies?

Which NY office?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:06 am

nyc

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:41 am

It could just be a lag from posting. From what I understand, this news came out yesterday afternoon so it wouldn't be surprising to see the need for updating.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I'm sorry to hear about that... You seem like you won't have trouble getting another offer. I'm sure you'll overcome this. It really, really sucks that NLRB is doing a hiring freeze this year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'm sorry to hear about that... You seem like you won't have trouble getting another offer. I'm sure you'll overcome this. It really, really sucks that NLRB is doing a hiring freeze this year.

Wait, is NLRB rescinding ALL offers or just some?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Wait, is NLRB rescinding ALL offers or just some?

All offers for the Honors Program. Hires outside of the Honors Program aren't affexted to my knowledge.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:All offers for the Honors Program. Hires outside of the Honors Program aren't affexted to my knowledge.

Does anyone know why the NLRB decided not to hire through the Honors program this year? And could there be any changes?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:All offers for the Honors Program. Hires outside of the Honors Program aren't affexted to my knowledge.

Does anyone know why the NLRB decided not to hire through the Honors program this year?

It was an OPM decision, not an Agency choice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:20 pm

I heard OPM decertified NLRB's hiring authority last Friday or so, allegedly due to hiring problems OPM found in an audit. I've heard that this affects non-attorney positions as well, including competitive service jobs.

Info is third-hand. I expect public news will be forthcoming.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I heard OPM decertified NLRB's hiring authority last Friday or so, allegedly due to hiring problems OPM found in an audit. I've heard that this affects non-attorney positions as well, including competitive service jobs.

Can confirm this is what I heard as well. Rumour has it that OPM isn't sure the Agency had received approval to begin an Honors Program, so there's questions about whether the procedure adopted by the Agency is similar to existing Honors Programs for other agencies (i.e. excepted v nonexcepted positions). Its unclear how long hiring will be blocked for, or whether there will be a subsequent freeze.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:07 pm

Maybe this has something to do with NLRB HQ being late to get out of its current lease and needing to move. They're probably going to be hit with damages for their current lease issues.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I heard OPM decertified NLRB's hiring authority last Friday or so, allegedly due to hiring problems OPM found in an audit. I've heard that this affects non-attorney positions as well, including competitive service jobs.

Can confirm this is what I heard as well. Rumour has it that OPM isn't sure the Agency had received approval to begin an Honors Program, so there's questions about whether the procedure adopted by the Agency is similar to existing Honors Programs for other agencies (i.e. excepted v nonexcepted positions). Its unclear how long hiring will be blocked for, or whether there will be a subsequent freeze.

my luck would have it such that something like this would happen this year.

Return to “Legal Employment”