prestige after law school in the private sector

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

prestige after law school in the private sector

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:41 pm

is publishing in law school journals prestigious as an attorney? i've been published twice in two flagship law reviews (both t10).

if i continue writing during less-busy months, does that rack up more prestige for me?

what else can i do that will give me feelings of prestige or prestigiousness etc.

should i adjunct at a local TTT? is that considered a prestigious thing to do?

What about joining committees at my firm? Is that prestigious?

And lastly, what about becoming Treasurer of the Local Bar Association? Is that prestigious?

Having graduated from law school and done the academics, journals, and clerkship prestige-rat-race, I feel like I have nothing to chase anymore and would like to chase the above. I just want your reassurance that these are prestige-inducing endeavors.

Last note, is it prestige-inducing to work with prestigious partners? I'd like to hold out to work for a particular partner who has ravishing prestige, (Harvard, magna, exec editor LR, SCOTUS clerkship) but this other toolbag partner from Georgetown just asked me if I was available for an assignment. Thoughts?

wuduhel

Re: prestige after law school in the private sector

Postby wuduhel » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:59 pm

Grow a mustache, move to Hawaii, drive a Ferrari, fly a helicopter.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:is publishing in law school journals prestigious as an attorney? i've been published twice in two flagship law reviews (both t10).

if i continue writing during less-busy months, does that rack up more prestige for me?

what else can i do that will give me feelings of prestige or prestigiousness etc.

And lastly, what about becoming Treasurer of the Local Bar Association? Is that prestigious?

Having graduated from law school and done the academics, journals, and clerkship prestige-rat-race, I feel like I have nothing to chase anymore and would like to chase the above. I just want your reassurance that these are prestige-inducing endeavors.

Last note, is it prestige-inducing to work with prestigious partners? I'd like to hold out to work for a particular partner who has ravishing prestige, (Harvard, magna, exec editor LR, SCOTUS clerkship) but this other toolbag partner from Georgetown just asked me if I was available for an assignment. Thoughts?

Dude wut Yeah

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:06 pm

lol 167

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:07 pm

(magnificent)

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:13 pm

Wormfather wrote:Ultimate prestige can only be garnered by sending nude pics of yourself to the partners and also to TLS mods.

I've also heard doing 'the nasty' in public is considered prestigious.

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:20 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:(magnificent)

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:is publishing in law school journals prestigious as an attorney? i've been published twice in two flagship law reviews (both t10).

You need to work on your prestige outside of law. There are whole worlds of prestige and status to cover. Go for a trophy spouse who is as much as a prestige whore as you. Go for the Westchester Country Club. Start getting all the stuff you need to prove you are prestigious.

Return to “Legal Employment”