BU/BC & 10%/LR....safe to do only Boston?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

BU/BC & 10%/LR....safe to do only Boston?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:14 pm

Top 10% at BU/BC, LR, ties to Boston (grew up here, family's all here) but no WE because i'm k-jd...

I really want Boston, would love to stay here (girlfriend has job in boston) but i'm not sure how much of a "sure-thing" it is, i'm applying to NYC because bigger market/bigger class sizes etc., but i can't imagine actually living/working there....

anyways - any advice, or predictions how this can go? should i be mass mailing more of the nyc firms, or will boston hopefully work out?

Anonymous User

Re: BU/BC & 10%/LR....safe to do only Boston?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:37 pm

Not safe to do ONLY Boston, but you stand a good chance. I SA at one of the top 3 in Boston and my peers from the non-Harvard, Boston schools are all LR at BC/BU/Suffolk/Northeastern.

Keep your job options open. Apply to NYC as a hedge.

zonto

Postby zonto » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:07 am

Did you bid for the joint BU/BC off-campus fair in NYC?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:23 pm

Yeah - I did the NYC bu/bc job fair, but between there only be about 20ish firms, and then the reality that you can only interview a maximum of 10 (the fair is only one day) - not sure if I should mass mail outside of that...or if i'm relatively "Safe" as it is.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:32 pm

You're not "safe." People in the 10% and on law review can strike out, though obviously most of them do very well. Until you have your first offer, do whatever you can to apply to as many jobs as you can.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:55 pm

It's probably smart to focus both your OCI and mailing efforts on Boston/New England - but you should at the very least mail other locations, especially NYC since it's such a big market and you've got a resume to give you a fighting chance at many of the firms.

Put another way, I wouldn't cut back on your boston bidding in order to bid on firms in another location, but it is smart to broaden your search from the moment OCI begins instead of if you run into trouble and need to scramble.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:48 pm

People in your position have struck out in this market. You have a great shot at landing a Boston firm, but OCI is a bit of a black box.

Return to “Legal Employment”