10-20% t14 + law review: all-in NYC corporate a bad idea?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

10-20% t14 + law review: all-in NYC corporate a bad idea?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:18 pm

I'm only interested in corporate. Was planning to bid only NY since I have no ties elsewhere. Is this a mistake? Do my grades + LR + genuine interest in corporate give me a chance at a place like Ropes & Gray in Boston?

Anonymous User

Re: 10-20% t14 + law review: all-in NYC corporate a bad idea?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:24 pm

Why would this be a bad idea? NYC is the easiest market and you have good grades + LR. Where else would you all in?

booboo

Postby booboo » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:30 pm

New York with those grades, LR, and school pedigree should basically give you your choice of a few of the V10.

Don't know much about R&G Boston. You're competitive when it comes to law school metrics, but it may hinge on connections with Boston. I don't know enough about how insular the Boston market is.

Good luck, though you will likely not need it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:34 pm

Do you want Ropes Boston over NY?? Because I can't see any scenario where you get Ropes and don't get multiple V15s in NY. Boston is rumored to be extremely ties focused. You would need a very good narrative of why you want to be in Boston. Ties notwithstanding you certainly are in the range for Ropes.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:41 pm

Definitely a fine idea. If you do your research and interview well you should have a lot of options.

Corporate is often less popular, and there are many slots at top NYC firms looking for students with credentials like yours. It's a good spot to be in (that mix of credentials and desire).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:43 pm

thesealocust wrote:Definitely a fine idea. If you do your research and interview well you should have a lot of options.

Corporate is often less popular, and there are many slots at top NYC firms looking for students with credentials like yours. It's a good spot to be in (that mix of credentials and desire).

True?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:48 pm

True. Tons of law students going into OCI never even give corporate a thought. Litigation is what people expect and so what they say they want to do. The first year of law school has 0 relation and gives 0 exposure to corporate, so it takes affirmative effort, research, or prior background to even know it's a thing that might be desirable.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:01 pm

Thanks for the responses. Never hurts to have TLS validate your job search.

To the third poster - I think Ropes is really attractive for its PE practice but v15 NY is my dream. I guess I'm slightly less optimistic that I'll have "my choice" of v15 NY firms (I'm confident I have a good shot but don't want to be naive).

Sealocust - what type of research do you believe these firms are impressed by?

Detrox

Postby Detrox » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for the responses. Never hurts to have TLS validate your job search.

To the third poster - I think Ropes is really attractive for its PE practice but v15 NY is my dream. I guess I'm slightly less optimistic that I'll have "my choice" of v15 NY firms (I'm confident I have a good shot but don't want to be naive).

Sealocust - what type of research do you believe these firms are impressed by?

If you want high quality PE with those stats, you should be fine/prefer ending up at Debevoise/Simpson NYC.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:40 am

Wow, why would you ask if it is a bad idea. Obviously it is not! What can be bad about it. Useless thread. And Ropes Boston, probably not unless you have connections.

Return to “Legal Employment”