Writing Sample Length Question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jackattack17

Writing Sample Length Question

Postby jackattack17 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:57 pm

Is 9 pages too long? It is, right? Even if it's an opinion I drafted for my internship with a judge this summer?

If so, should I use something else, or cut out a few of the issues (there are 6)?

What would the ideal length be, if the employer doesn't specify?

Thanks

Judge Philip Banks

Re: Writing Sample Length Question

Postby Judge Philip Banks » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:24 pm

There's no correct answer to this, but I don't think 9 pages is too long if it is a solid opinion you wrote. I'd keep it as is, but if you feel the need to make it shorter, cut the weakest/shortest issue out. Ideally, I'd think a writing sample should be about 7 pages or so, but even 5-10 pages should be fine.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:38 pm

Kind of off topic but relevant, if a firm says bring a 10+page writing sample but none of your LRW stuff are over 8 pages, what to do?

dixon02

Postby dixon02 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:50 pm

jackattack17 wrote:Is 9 pages too long? It is, right? Even if it's an opinion I drafted for my internship with a judge this summer?

If so, should I use something else, or cut out a few of the issues (there are 6)?

Thanks

Probably a question for your CSO. Ours (UVA) recommends 8-10 pages.

jackattack17

Postby jackattack17 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:26 am

Thanks, guys. I guess 9 isn't too long after all. Next question then: How is this for a little "explanatory opener" for my writing sample:

This writing sample is an opinion I drafted during the course of my internship with X judge of the X court. The opinion is substantively all my own work, though it went through four drafts with the judge.

Thoughts?

drd

Postby drd » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:45 am

dixon02 wrote:
jackattack17 wrote:Is 9 pages too long? It is, right? Even if it's an opinion I drafted for my internship with a judge this summer?

Thanks

double spaced? or 1.5 spaced? i have a 10 page memo from an internship that's 1.5 spaced, but i'm thinking it's too long

dixon02

Postby dixon02 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:53 am

drd wrote:
dixon02 wrote:

Thanks

double spaced? or 1.5 spaced? i have a 10 page memo from an internship that's 1.5 spaced, but i'm thinking it's too long

I assume double-spaced (mine is).

dixon02

Postby dixon02 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:54 am

jackattack17 wrote:Thanks, guys. I guess 9 isn't too long after all. Next question then: How is this for a little "explanatory opener" for my writing sample:

This writing sample is an opinion I drafted during the course of my internship with X judge of the X court. The opinion is substantively all my own work, though it went through four drafts with the judge.

Thoughts?

You should add that you received the judge's permission to use it. And if you haven't, you need to get it before using it.

Return to “Legal Employment”