Best Market Outside NY to Bid?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Best Market Outside NY to Bid?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:05 pm

Hey guys, so I've submitted bids for every NY firm at OCI. I've also bid on my home market, Florida, and on DC. I have eight bids left and I'm not sure where to put them.

If it helps, I'm at Vandy, with slightly above median grades and law review. I considered Nashville, but I have no ties and I've heard it's hyper competitive. I have no ties anywhere else. Advice?

Anonymous User

Re: Best Market Outside NY to Bid?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey guys, so I've submitted bids for every NY firm at OCI. I've also bid on my home market, Florida, and on DC. I have eight bids left and I'm not sure where to put them.

If it helps, I'm at Vandy, with slightly above median grades and law review. I considered Nashville, but I have no ties and I've heard it's hyper competitive. I have no ties anywhere else. Advice?

If you've already bid NYC and your home market, I would consider either: Atlanta or Houston. I would pick whichever Vandy places better into... If if was me, I would pick Houston (TX>>>GA).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hey guys, so I've submitted bids for every NY firm at OCI. I've also bid on my home market, Florida, and on DC. I have eight bids left and I'm not sure where to put them.

If you've already bid NYC and your home market, I would consider either: Atlanta or Houston. I would pick whichever Vandy places better into... If if was me, I would pick Houston (TX>>>GA).

Most big ATL firms seem to want top third to top 20% from Vandy OCI, so I'd do TX if I were you. Though I've heard TX wants ties as well. Consider Locke Lord-they're doing that reception with new VLR members and they're strong in TX.

Perseus_I

Postby Perseus_I » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:27 pm

Texas is hot right now. Dallas and Houston combined are a larger market than every other market in the country aside from D.C. and NYC and (maybe?) Chicago.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:12 pm

OP here bumping for the evening crowd. So is my best bet then applying to TX? I want to reiterate that I have already applied to every NY firm and every firm in my home market. These are literally bids that have nowhere else to go.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here bumping for the evening crowd. So is my best bet then applying to TX? I want to reiterate that I have already applied to every NY firm and every firm in my home market. These are literally bids that have nowhere else to go.

Then pick somewhere you'd be interested in living and firms you'd be interested in interviewing at. I'm guessing Vandy is pre-select too, so you'd probably also want to pick firms that take people in your grade range + LR. (If it's not, then change the last one to where you think you could actually get interviews at the bottom of your bidlist).

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:49 am

Aren't there any Honolulu firms that interest you ? :D San Francisco ?

Vanderbilt should help in Atlanta, Ga. & Charlotte, NC. Savannah may have some interesting options, as well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:09 am

CanadianWolf wrote:Aren't there any Honolulu firms that interest you ? :D San Francisco ?

OP here:

Haha, as incredible as HAWAII BIGLAW sounds, I'm the type of person who can really be happy almost anywhere. So for me the #1 factor is putting my last bids in the market that would give me the best chance of getting a job.

I think I'm going to go ahead and bid TX. I've traveled around Texas a few times and have a few fairly close friends who live in Houston and Dallas. While I know that this is unlikely to be even close to enough ties to land a job there, I figure I may as well do it anyway and try my best to spin the ties.

Thanks TLS!

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:12 am

Houston & Dallas are probably your best options.

Return to “Legal Employment”