"Stock Question" on the Callback

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
AVBucks4239

"Stock Question" on the Callback

Postby AVBucks4239 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:03 pm

I read the "Guide to OCI" thread and those stock questions were great for my 1L OCI, but just for the screening interviews only. Once I actually had a callback and was interviewing with a bunch of separate attorneys, I thought they would communicate as to what questions I was asking. Thus, I tried switching up my questions for each attorney. It was tiresome and I don't think they went over well.

So, is it okay to ask each attorney the same questions, are there more "stock" questions that are good to ask on the callback?

ruski

Re: "Stock Question" on the Callback

Postby ruski » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:57 pm

yes its fine. attorneys are way too busy to later be comparing q's you asked them. just be natural. sometimes a specific question can come up from you actual interview so you don't even need to use your canned ones.

on a side note, try to remember everyone's name after you meet them. several interviewees like to start the callback interview with "so who did you just meet with." the first 2-3 times i just had a blank stare and said i couldn't remember. the guy was like really you don't remember who you just met 2 minutes ago? not a good way to start the interview and pretty sure this was a reason i was dinged at a few terms.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:13 pm

I haven't had a problem with this as long as the answers aren't found on the site. If you're really paranoid about this, you could phrase your question like "So Partner X said the firm's inverted pyramid structure is its greatest strength. What would you say is your firms greatest strength?"

Edit: dumb autocorrect

AVBucks4239

Postby AVBucks4239 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:19 pm

Jessuf wrote:I haven't had a problem with this as long as the answers aren't found on the site. If you're really paranoid about this, you could phrase your question like "So Partner X said the firm's inverted pyramid structure is its greatest strength. What would you say is your firms greatest strength?"

Edit: dumb autocorrect

Ya, that's what I tried to do. But one of the firms I had a callback for last winter had me interview with 10 attorneys. My OCI experience is limited, but this seemed like a f-ton. So, by the end of the day, I was coming up with what I ended up feeling were some pretty stupid questions.

Good to know that stock questions are okay to ask separate partners, though.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:23 pm

Some questions e.g logistical questions about the summer program shouldn't be asked repeatedly. However, I don't see why it would be bad to ask everyone about firm culture, what the firms strengths are, etc.

I also like to ask more personalized questions about their backgrounds, favorite cases/projects, etc.

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:20 pm

I seem to recall reading on these forums at some point that there's a difference between "fact" questions (e.g., logistical questions about the summer program as mentioned above) and "opinion" questions (e.g., firm culture as mentioned above) and that you should feel free to ask the latter of as many people as you interview with.

More personalized questions are better, but if you're interviewing with way too many attorneys to really keep up, just ask for their opinions on stuff.

Return to “Legal Employment”