3L Mass Mailing Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Dr. Review

Re: 3L Mass Mailing Thread

Postby Dr. Review » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:59 pm

Ding Jones Day secondary office. TT in the office's market. Above median IP

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:28 pm

simpson thacher nyc ding

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:simpson thacher nyc ding

What did it say? I got a ding today today. It said we only have a need for a few 3Ls, and cant interview you at this time, but will interview qualified candidates later if there is a need. LOL

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:19 pm

So what's everyone's story here? Are most people current SAs looking to switch firms? Or coming from something else for the summer? I'm looking to jump firms for a variety of reasons (I'm expecting an offer but haven't heard back yet), how are similarly situated people addressing their situation in cover letters, if at all?

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:13 pm

I didn't work that hard for an SA and ended up workin patent in-house. I kinda wish I'd mass mailed last year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:55 am

No SA. Was in a position where success could be had (at least with a midsize firm) if I hustled, and didn't hustle. Strong Tier 1 regional Southern school, top 30%, on moot court, stupidly didn't write onto a journal. Basically only looked at my (small, selective) Southern home market because spouse is there. Grew up and attend law school in that home market but went to a Yankee undergrad, came from a Yankee family, and don't always click well with very Southern interviewers even though I'm generally an average to good interviewer. So I didn't do great with the decent number of screeners I had. And in screeners in the home market and handful of other markets, I was way too honest about the scope of where I was applying. But mostly failure to hustle.

Worked at a decent small firm with great experience this summer (no chance of an offer) and did a couple things to make my resume much stronger. Grades the same. This year I am hustling and very committed to working outside of my home state if it means biglaw or close to market paying midlaw. It would mean a year of commuter marriage, but that's totally worth it for people who can make it work if it means you both have professional success. Applying and networking anywhere I plausibly have ties, including big cities, but being MUCH more on message about why each market is my top priority and the only place I want to be... My goal is to move for the $$ or practice opportunities or land not-small-law in my home state. I feel somewhat calm and hopeful, which I think comes from having a plan/doing something rather than just panicking.

Raima

Postby Raima » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:41 pm

I know that some of this advice has been applicable to big firms - but when it comes to small or midsized firms, is anyone mass mailing, and if so, if there is no recruiter, are you mailing a named partner or the generic contact e-mail for the firm? I'm new to mass mailing and I feel like I don't know what I'm doing :(

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:simpson thacher nyc ding

What did it say? I got a ding today today. It said we only have a need for a few 3Ls, and cant interview you at this time, but will interview qualified candidates later if there is a need. LOL

Yeah that was what it said.

I am mass mailing to so-called "trade up." I have an NYC biglaw offer but am looking to maximize exit options.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:08 am

I'm running out of ideas here. I've got a science degree and 2 years WE, and pretty strong IP credentials beside, so I've hit every IP practice group and boutique I can find in my school's market as well as my home market. I've gotten a few dings, but the rest is just silence. I can't find any new firms and my school's 3L OCI is far from a wealth of opportunities. Considering the fact that I really have no ties to anywhere else, where should I look now? I tried the Loyola PLIP, but it looks like I struck out there, so I don't know how to go about looking any further at this point.

arodtoo

Postby arodtoo » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:44 pm

I'm a 3l and mass mailed some NY firms. I received a response from a V10 firm saying they would like to conduct a preliminary interview with me and to contact them if I am in the area. Do firms normally offer screeners like this to mass mailing or is their decision not to offer me a call back (and thus pay for my travel) a sign they aren't as interested?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:53 pm

Any thoughts on not including a transcript if I'm in the bottom half?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:01 pm

arodtoo wrote:I'm a 3l and mass mailed some NY firms. I received a response from a V10 firm saying they would like to conduct a preliminary interview with me and to contact them if I am in the area. Do firms normally offer screeners like this to mass mailing or is their decision not to offer me a call back (and thus pay for my travel) a sign they aren't as interested?

don't have an answer to your question, sorry...but just wondering -- how long after your mass mailing did you get a response?

memo2partner

Postby memo2partner » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:04 pm

looks like it's still 3lolci out there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:15 am

To the person who asked about small and midsize firms, I can tell you I've learned based on my own 2L summer search and talking to CSO/graduates. There's midlaw that sort of follows biglaw - they probably hire summers, have a Careers web page, and come to OCIs of a few nearby schools. In that case, I think you can go ahead and start mailing a standard cover letter/resume/transcript package. I think it helps to acknowledge in the e-mail or cover letter you know it may be too early to know 3L hiring needs but are very interested in the firm. And it wouldn't hurt to get in touch with lawyers at the firm to chat about their practice areas, etc.

For small law, many shops don't know their hiring needs until later in the spring. I think mailing a standard cover letter to a 10-person shop that doesn't have a career page on their website isn't necessarily a huge turnoff, but also doesn't help much. If you're local, go to bar association meetings, find the lawyers who seem to know everybody and get to know them. Lots of coffee dates. Explain why you want to work in a small shop in x market, ask for advice. Bring your resume and gracefully find ways to get it into people's hands. If you're not local, try to do that by phone/e-mail and when you're in town. And of course look for every job that comes up on Symplicity and apply for it. If you have friends at a law school in another market, have them keep an eye on Symplicity for you. Small shop in smalltown MD is not going to post on midwestern law school's jobs board, or whatever. At the very least for small firms, make a phone call, tell them you're very interested in their practice, and ask them if they're willing to take a look at your resume even if they don't anticipate a particular hiring need. But they're less likely to have an SOP for dealing with random applications like big firms do and more likely to want a relationship/specific interest from the person they hire.

My plan is to focus on mass mailing and networking the hell out of my target markets for biglaw and midlaw in the fall, while going to some bar association meetings/having a few coffees locally, and then to start switching my focus to small shops in the spring when a) the biglaw ship has mostly sailed and b) small firms might actually start thinking about hiring grads. Hope that helps!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:19 am

I started sending stuff out to a secondary market in late July saying I'd be in town Aug. 16th and 17th and would love to visit the firm to learn more about it or interview if the opportunity is available. Haven't heard a peep. I am going to make follow up phone calls today in a last ditch effort. But if no one bites, how can I make the most time of being in that secondary market next week? Should I send stuff out to 20 more firms today saying I know it's last minute, but I'll be in town next week? Try and set up networking coffees, etc. with alums? I was hoping for at least 1 or 2 people willing to throw me a screener ... I'm visiting family, so it's not a wasted trip, but I'm still a little frustrated. I think I've sent stuff to every biglaw firm and many smaller ones (20+) in the target city in question. What should I do?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:02 pm

Nothing so far but a bunch of dings, responses telling me only 2Ls are accepted for their summer program :roll:, and a bunch of responses with my name spelled incorrectly.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:16 pm

I got not one but two rejection emails from the same K&L Gates office today. One would have sufficed.

isayixnayhearsay

Postby isayixnayhearsay » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:32 pm

they need to rename the law firm to dewey ding'em & howe

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I got not one but two rejection emails from the same K&L Gates office today. One would have sufficed.

Which office? Seattle?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:55 pm

I have sent emails to about 20 firms with the practice area I am interested in over the last few weeks. I have only heard from two saying they have no positions in that department. I am starting to get worried that I am not hearing back. I am in the top 10% at a lower T14 school, I did a 2L SA but want to change practice areas.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I got not one but two rejection emails from the same K&L Gates office today. One would have sufficed.

Which office? Seattle?

Pittsburgh

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:41 am

are you guys specifying a practice area?

is it bad to say i want to do securities, in either transactional or litigation? i dont want to close myself out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:44 am

I think that firms expect us to know what we want to do by now.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any thoughts on not including a transcript if I'm in the bottom half?

Bump. Without a transcript, they won't necessarily know that my middling GPA (which is on the resume) is in the bottom half, since schools curve differently.

Also, I took a year off and it's visible on my transcript. I don't know if this will affect anything, but obviously I'd like to delay any effect as much as possible.

Is it better to leave the transcript out? Or its absence too much of a red flag to be worth any possible benefit?

Finally, why is this thread so dead? Does everyone have a job except us?....
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:04 pm

How do you address cover letters when you are doing it through the firms online application thing and you don't know who is going to be reading it?

Do I just say...

Dear Magic Unicorn Firm...?

Return to “Legal Employment”