0L Work Experience Dilemma

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

0L Work Experience Dilemma

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:43 am

Hi all, I hope that some of you can offer insight on my predicament.

I currently work at a law firm and am applying for law school this fall. Originally, I was supposed to leave my job this summer and start a new one in the state where my fiancee was planning to attend school. However, he was forced to defer enrollment until next year.

Management was very understanding and offered to let me stay for a little longer, but they have already hired a replacement (their recruiting process started at the beginning of the year), so I would not be able to stay for more than 3 or 4 months. I plan to look for another job, but unfortunately, I am trying to get my applications in early and this possible gap in employment may begin in September/October. I realize that I should have waited to give my notice, but this happened a week before we were supposed to move out of the state, so what's done is done. How will this affect my admissions cycle (aiming for MVP with numbers at/above the medians), 1L and 2L OCI and C&F? Is there anything that I can do to improve the situation?

iShotFirst

Re: 0L Work Experience Dilemma

Postby iShotFirst » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:50 am

Why do you think that would affect C&F? Unless you are planning to lie and say you continued working there.

Admissions, OCI, etc = no effect.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:30 am

This is not a question for the legal employment forum because you're a 0L.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:30 am

I feel like there must be something missing from this story. You're worried just about the gap in employment? Not having a job isn't a C&F issue. There will be no effect on OCI. If someone asks (they won't) you just say you were getting ready for law school

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:01 pm

Hi everyone, OP here. To clarify, I'm just worried that the gap will make me seem flaky - September is kind of a weird time to end a 0L job. I've read other comments in TLS forums that suggest having this kind of gap doesn't look great to employers, so I just wanted some second opinions.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:11 pm

Don't worry about it dude. Enjoy your time off

Return to “Legal Employment”