didn't get firm through school's lottery, email separately Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

didn't get firm through school's lottery, email separately

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:45 pm

My school uses a lottery system after you bid for the firm. We have a cancellation period for a bit now. There are some firms that I wanted and didn't get. Should I email them now and ask for a screening? My current summer job is in the market that I would like to be at. I could interview with them here or at my school. Should I wait until after the cancellation period to know for sure if I received a spot off the waitlist? If I wait, I will only be in this city for a short period of time before I leave, which may be too short to do an interview here

gah, hopefully that was clear

if I mail them now, do I just include a resume? or the whole package of transcript & writing sample

Anonymous User

Re: didn't get firm through school's lottery, email separately

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My school uses a lottery system after you bid for the firm. We have a cancellation period for a bit now. There are some firms that I wanted and didn't get. Should I email them now and ask for a screening? My current summer job is in the market that I would like to be at. I could interview with them here or at my school. Should I wait until after the cancellation period to know for sure if I received a spot off the waitlist? If I wait, I will only be in this city for a short period of time before I leave, which may be too short to do an interview here

gah, hopefully that was clear

if I mail them now, do I just include a resume? or the whole package of transcript & writing sample
Email them now... you have nothing to lose. Give them all your info - cover letter, resume, and transcript. Writing sample can only hurt, so only give it if they subsequently ask your for it. Make sure that you tell them you're in town right now and tell them you're willing to head back in town as well for an interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:54 pm

Do it. If you have good stats, emailing firms you didn't get through lottery definitely works.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:16 am

ok thanks!

and just to be really nit-picky,

should i go through their online systems or email the recruiter separately?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:ok thanks!

and just to be really nit-picky,

should i go through their online systems or email the recruiter separately?
I always just emailed the recruiter.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”