Husband just fired from large law firm after less 1 yr?! Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Judge Philip Banks

Bronze

Re: Husband just fired from large law firm after less 1 yr?!

Post by Judge Philip Banks » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:34 pm

sunynp wrote:
Judge Philip Banks wrote:I smell a troll.
Why? You don't think that firms fire people if they need to do so? Did you learn nothing from the past few years of stealth layoffs to keep the PPP high?

If there isn't the work, firms will fire people. Just remember, the partners don't need you to get the work done.
I this is true:
Anonymous User wrote:Also OP, I doubt your husband did anything wrong. Firm X (from rumors) has been stealthing tons of people like crazy.
then I guess my trolldar might be wrong.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:35 pm

I also call troll. What spouse would come here for help? And what associate wouldn't know to call a headhunter?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:35 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:36 pm

By the way, I'm just letting you know: you don't have to listen to all these kids here that tell you to "Out the firm! Out the firm!" I would edit out your post and ask the mods to delete the Firm X stuff (the second part might seem a little overboard, but I would at least delete your first post by editing it with a period (".").

If you really want to talk with someone, I would Private Message (PM) the user who started this thread: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=163550

That way you can talk confidentially without anyone finding out about personal business they don't need to know!

Judge Philip Banks

Bronze

Post by Judge Philip Banks » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:36 pm

IAFG wrote:I also call troll. What spouse would come here for help?
This is what struck me as odd, too, as if OP was just trying to stir up something...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

El_Sol

New

Post by El_Sol » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:37 pm

lukertin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What do you guys think is worse: (1) No SA offer or (2) Fire JA in less than a year?

With the internet being like it is, I don't see how firms will be able to no-offer SA's anymore, or continue doing what Firm X just did... it is not worth it.
Do you think they care?
Absolutely

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:37 pm

ITT someone reports something totally believable and TLS's finest jump down her throat and call flame because they want a piece of info. Complete disregard for the possibility that it might be not in their best interest to out the firm. Stay classy TLS

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:38 pm

*edited to preserve original poster's anonymity since I see she has now edited it out*
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
nmr00 wrote: [Firm name]...
Preserved, for posterity
You are unbelievably callous.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:40 pm

kwais wrote:ITT someone reports something totally believable and TLS's finest jump down her throat and call flame because they want a piece of info. Complete disregard for the possibility that it might be not in their best interest to out the firm. Stay classy TLS
Seriously, right? Incredible disregard for someone else's privacy and well-being. This wife comes on asking for help and you basically screw someone who doesn't know any better about the legal world.

El_Sol

New

Post by El_Sol » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:40 pm

She said "large law firm" instead of "big firm" ... seems legit by the way she wrote the thread.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:41 pm

Corporate or lit? Corporate is unfortunately slow everywhere, but if it's lit then your husband might be able to find another job more quickly...

The thing to do, as hard as it is, is not to panic, and not let it gnaw at his confidence. It's so much harder to perform the way you need to in interviews when your can't put up a confident face.

Be supportive, remind him that many firms got overconfident about the recovery and that we've hit another slow spell, and this doesn't reflect on his ability as a lawyer.

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:43 pm

kwais wrote:ITT someone reports something totally believable and TLS's finest jump down her throat and call flame because they want a piece of info. Complete disregard for the possibility that it might be not in their best interest to out the firm. Stay classy TLS
I tried. All these classy anon posters only care about their bidlists. They have nothing to add to help her deal with this problem.

OP: If you are in NYC there are resources for careers at the Association of the Bar of New York. There might also be resources for helping you negotiate with the firm. But your husband needs to get his resume out to headhunters as soon as possible. And, like I said, get him to pressure the firm for outplacement help. Not everyone who gets stealth fired has to have the same deal.
Last edited by sunynp on Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

El_Sol

New

Post by El_Sol » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:43 pm

when he was on deals

Corporate it seems.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:46 pm

Is this serious?

I bid on them.

alphasteve

Diamond

Post by alphasteve » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:50 pm

Anyone mentions the firm name or re-edits their posts with the firm name is going to take a very long vacation.

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:51 pm

Stop just thinking about yourselves! The amount of "but what about me and my own career and bidlist wah wah"-like comments is annoying. This person's spouse just got laid off. Do you have any idea how much that sucks? Have you ever had a parent or spouse get laid off and come home? It's a terrible sinking feeling you never want. If you're going to post, at least offer advice, counsel, sympathy, etc. Not this continual mob chant of "out the firm". I feel like having a "what is WRONG with you people!" moment.

Sorry about your husband getting laid off. It sucks. I'm sure he had good credentials if he was able to make it to that firm in the first place. In addition to all the law advice people are giving you, just keep doing what you're doing emotionally and morally. The fact that you went out of your way to post here and seek help probably shows something about you. Keep doing that.

Has he made any friends or close "go-to" attorneys? Maybe during his summers or during the time he was at the job? During some of my jobs, I've met attorneys that I know I can count on and confide in (the kind of guys you would feel comfortable just going out and grabbing a beer and just chatting about family, kids, life, etc.). I would tell him to talk with them and let them know what's up. No need to go on hands and knees begging "you gotta job?? You gotta job??" But just talk with them and see if they might know anything.
Last edited by Myself on Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:57 pm

I don't have many other ideas for how to deal with this right now. I think that keeping up a positive attitude while mentally preparing for a long haul is the way to go.

Anybody know any firms that are hiring right now?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:58 pm

I mean it doesn't matter when you get the boot, you apply broadly, get in touch with headhunters, think about alternatives to firm work (clerk? gov't? non-profit?) and day drink.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:03 pm

alphasteve wrote:Anyone mentions the firm name or re-edits their posts with the firm name is going to take a very long vacation.
Hit dat pm.

attractive_NUisance

New

Post by attractive_NUisance » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:08 pm

alphasteve wrote:Anyone mentions the firm name or re-edits their posts with the firm name is going to take a very long vacation.
Mod just so you know I think you missed two references to the firm in question. Page 1 close to the bottom.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:11 pm

attractive_NUisance wrote:
Mod just so you know I think you missed two references to the firm in question. Page 1 close to the bottom.
Got it. Thanks :)

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:16 pm

What's with the mod enforcement of this wipe? The legal employment forum is 99.9% worthless garbage and someone outs TTT employment practices for once and it all gets removed?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:17 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:What's with the mod enforcement of this wipe? The legal employment forum is 99.9% worthless garbage and someone outs TTT employment practices for once and it all gets removed?
:roll: take it to the mod complaint thread bro.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:19 pm

IAFG wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:What's with the mod enforcement of this wipe? The legal employment forum is 99.9% worthless garbage and someone outs TTT employment practices for once and it all gets removed?
:roll: take it to the mod complaint thread bro.
Yeah, I'd hate to clutter up this extremely useful thread.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Legal Employment”