IP OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Lycurgus

IP OCI

Postby Lycurgus » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:27 pm

Is there any way to get a summer associate position doing IP work from OCI (from firms which are not specifically looking for IP)? Is this something which you bring up at the interview or do interviewers notice you science background and just assume that you are going for IP. Knowledge on this would be great.

turbotong

Re: IP OCI

Postby turbotong » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:39 pm

Yes. Bid on firms at locations with an IP practice. When they ask you "Why us?" you reply "Because this office has IP exp."
That and do PLIP. And yes they usually notice your background. And they sometimes have IP specific bidding slots.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:44 pm

IP specific OCI is looking for only IP
non-IP specific OCI is possibly looking for everything, including IP.

Your cover letter should point out what you want to practice, where, and why that firm. If you want to practice IP, make sure that firm does IP at the office you are applying to, so look into split summers between 2 offices, one that does IP, one that does whatever else you may be interested in.

target

Postby target » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:00 pm

So if I didn't bid on a few firms that come to Loyola, should I bid on them if they come to OCI? Should I assume that they have already finish interviewing for IP associates?

yuzu

Postby yuzu » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:16 am

target wrote:So if I didn't bid on a few firms that come to Loyola, should I bid on them if they come to OCI? Should I assume that they have already finish interviewing for IP associates?

Of course you can bid on these firms outside of Loyola. That's exactly what the majority of IP job applicants do, and there's a reason that Loyola is in the same month as OCI programs: firms can evaluate both sets of candidates before extending offers.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:22 am

which gets back to the main point. if you are serious about IP, you had better be at PLIP. you are taking a huge gamble waiting until OCI.

target

Postby target » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:15 am

definitely did PLIP. I just want to get another shot at different IP firms. :mrgreen:

Thank Yuzu.

Lycurgus

Postby Lycurgus » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:51 pm

What is this PLIP you speak of?

DildaMan

Postby DildaMan » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:15 pm

Return to “Legal Employment”