Clerkships 2013-2014

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Clerkships 2013-2014

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:49 am

Is it too late for clerkships? At my school, we just handed in our checklist. I havent even finished CL yet. Should I just give up, doesnt seem worth it if people have offers already.

Anonymous User

Re: Clerkships 2013-2014

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is it too late for clerkships? At my school, we just handed in our checklist. I havent even finished CL yet. Should I just give up, doesnt seem worth it if people have offers already.

Depends what you want. There are still many district court judges who hire on plan.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it too late for clerkships? At my school, we just handed in our checklist. I havent even finished CL yet. Should I just give up, doesnt seem worth it if people have offers already.

You mean you didn't start applying when you started pre-school?!?!?! :shock: You're DOOOOOOMED!!! No judge will accept your applications now!

All kidding aside, most judges are still accepting and reviewing applications. Unless your heart was set on a prestigious COA clerkship, you are still good.

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:07 pm

It's really just COA judges that's already hired, and somewhat more than likely, if you didn't know to be sending in your applications early, you probably didn't have a huge shot at many of them (feeders etc.)

A lot of judges are still on plan too. I mean, a lot of judges aren't, but a lot still are. It's worth it.

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:57 pm

My thinking is this:

While many judges are hiring off-plan, enough still follow that it's worth the time to apply. Plus, since I want to clerk regardless, I will have everything good to go for my 3L spring when judges start hiring again and I can apply off plan without restriction -- all my recommenders have to do is print another copy of their letters and the application is good to go.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:12 pm

It's almost too late for state supreme and appellate courts. But not for a lot of federal district.

newbienew

Postby newbienew » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:19 pm

A question that will highlight my newbieness, I'm sure: how does one even apply to federal clerkships this early? My understanding is that the online application doesn't accept apps until September. This isn't the first time that I've heard of judges being "off-plan," but what are the mechanics of applying this early (or earlier)?

Thanks in advance for enlightening me with information I should probably already know.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:22 pm

newbienew wrote:A question that will highlight my newbieness, I'm sure: how does one even apply to federal clerkships this early? My understanding is that the online application doesn't accept apps until September. This isn't the first time that I've heard of judges being "off-plan," but what are the mechanics of applying this early (or earlier)?

Thanks in advance for enlightening me with information I should probably already know.

Paper applications as opposed to OSCAR applications.

Return to “Legal Employment”