How important are ties to a location?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273481
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

How important are ties to a location?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:16 am

I ask this because I am pretty much able to establish a life/career at any of several desired locations. I've lived for a long time in So.Cal, specifically in LA area and OC. I am going to school in the D.C. area, and will b fine staying there. However, I have a great interest in going to Asia long-term.

I keep seeing people emphasizing geographic ties, and it appears to be a very limiting factor. I understand firms don't want associates jumping ship after 1-2 years because they can't stand that area.

So, how should I get across the fact that I'm dedicated to the firm, and willing to work at any of several locations available?

flcath
Posts: 1502
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: How important are ties to a location?

Postby flcath » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:05 am

Okay, they're *very* important, but--despite not having been able to do it myself--I'm not convinced there isn't some other way to distinguish yourself as extraordinarily interested in (and unlikely to ever leave) location X. I bet if you gunned/networked hard to work in, say, Boston, you could swing it. Esp. if you start 1L year, and work that summer in your target city.

What you definitely can't do is try to do the above for multiple locations.

I was in your position, too. I thought that applying broadly could, as a logical imperative, only improve my chances, but that's not true. You should really choose a market.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: How important are ties to a location?

Postby keg411 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:24 am

flcath wrote:Okay, they're *very* important, but--despite not having been able to do it myself--I'm not convinced there isn't some other way to distinguish yourself as extraordinarily interested in (and unlikely to ever leave) location X.


Have top grades from a top school. If your grades are good enough, interviewers will care way less about ties.

de5igual
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:52 pm

Re: How important are ties to a location?

Postby de5igual » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:49 am

something else to consider is that while you currently think you could live in any market and be content/happy, that's rarely ever the case. seeing that you've only been in socal and the midatlantic, i'd find it unlikely (which means that an interviewer could also find it unlikely) that you'd be knowledgeable enough about life anywhere else to make a claim that you'd be able to live there

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: How important are ties to a location?

Postby IAFG » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:24 am

f0bolous wrote:something else to consider is that while you currently think you could live in any market and be content/happy, that's rarely ever the case. seeing that you've only been in socal and the midatlantic, i'd find it unlikely (which means that an interviewer could also find it unlikely) that you'd be knowledgeable enough about life anywhere else to make a claim that you'd be able to live there

This this this (and Keg is right too).

I was able to pitch myself to a market without any ties but I had an (apparently) convincing narrative about the work, and this market has particularly sophisticated work in a certain practice area. Saying "I will work anywhere for Skadden!" is not going to be a convincing narrative.

flcath
Posts: 1502
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: How important are ties to a location?

Postby flcath » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:51 am

keg411 wrote:
flcath wrote:Okay, they're *very* important, but--despite not having been able to do it myself--I'm not convinced there isn't some other way to distinguish yourself as extraordinarily interested in (and unlikely to ever leave) location X.


Have top grades from a top school. If your grades are good enough, interviewers will care way less about ties.

Maybe. If we're talking HLR or something comparable (you know, something that will blow clients away; not like NYU), then I'm sure you're right. At that level though, the fact that you have those creds and are interested in a market says you really want to be there.

Nothing changes the fact that if a firm's business model relies on people staying 7+ years, they need people to stay 7+ years. As such, I think your proposal would probably work better in markets like Cali, where the firms are huge but still care about ties. You're not gonna work in, say, Nashville or Denver, if they don't think you'll stay awhile.

Regardless, I think the level of commitment you'd need to show would be impossible to fake.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: How important are ties to a location?

Postby keg411 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:00 am

flcath wrote:
keg411 wrote:
flcath wrote:Okay, they're *very* important, but--despite not having been able to do it myself--I'm not convinced there isn't some other way to distinguish yourself as extraordinarily interested in (and unlikely to ever leave) location X.


Have top grades from a top school. If your grades are good enough, interviewers will care way less about ties.

Maybe. If we're talking HLR or something comparable (you know, something that will blow clients away; not like NYU), then I'm sure you're right. At that level though, the fact that you have those creds and are interested in a market says you really want to be there.

Nothing changes the fact that if a firm's business model relies on people staying 7+ years, they need people to stay 7+ years. As such, I think your proposal would probably work better in markets like Cali, where the firms are huge but still care about ties. You're not gonna work in, say, Nashville or Denver, if they don't think you'll stay awhile.

Regardless, I think the level of commitment you'd need to show would be impossible to fake.


The bolded is exactly what I was thinking of (that and Boston/Texas) :lol:. However, I do think if you're top 5% or something at any T14, you can probably get over the "ties" hurdle more easily, even in smaller markets.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273481
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How important are ties to a location?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:17 am

OP here,

Well, I've definitely got ties to So Cal, grew up there and lived there all through college. I also spent 2-3 yrs in Asia working, and of course, I'm going to school in the east. These are exactly the three markets I'm applying for. If what everyone is saying is true, then that should work in my favor, since I want to work in Asia, and one a very very few select firms hire direct to the location I want to go to.

However, I think I would be able to stay in any of those 3 areas, and I love SF/silicon valley area even though I've never lived there... I guess this is one thing I'll have to really address in the interview if I get one. Bidding deadline has already passed, and all materials are turned in, so too late to focus on any particular place now.

I guess I'll just have to hope for the best.

flcath
Posts: 1502
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: How important are ties to a location?

Postby flcath » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:28 pm

keg411 wrote:
flcath wrote:
keg411 wrote:
flcath wrote:Okay, they're *very* important, but--despite not having been able to do it myself--I'm not convinced there isn't some other way to distinguish yourself as extraordinarily interested in (and unlikely to ever leave) location X.


Have top grades from a top school. If your grades are good enough, interviewers will care way less about ties.

Maybe. If we're talking HLR or something comparable (you know, something that will blow clients away; not like NYU), then I'm sure you're right. At that level though, the fact that you have those creds and are interested in a market says you really want to be there.

Nothing changes the fact that if a firm's business model relies on people staying 7+ years, they need people to stay 7+ years. As such, I think your proposal would probably work better in markets like Cali, where the firms are huge but still care about ties. You're not gonna work in, say, Nashville or Denver, if they don't think you'll stay awhile.

Regardless, I think the level of commitment you'd need to show would be impossible to fake.


The bolded is exactly what I was thinking of (that and Boston/Texas) :lol:. However, I do think if you're top 5% or something at any T14, you can probably get over the "ties" hurdle more easily, even in smaller markets.

Also at that level of awesomeness, you could just do a federal clerkship in the region you're interested in.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.