Pre-select w/ way below median grades.

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Pre-select w/ way below median grades.

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:15 pm

I participated in a career fair and was preselected by a V20 firm for an interview. I was not expecting this at all being that my grades are significantly below median. Can anyone explain why/how this could have happened? I was under the impression that almost all of the top ranking vault firms have hard grade cut-offs. I am going to email the event organizer to make sure this is not a mistake. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

sambeber

Re: Pre-select w/ way below median grades.

Postby sambeber » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I participated in a career fair and was preselected by a V20 firm for an interview. I was not expecting this at all being that my grades are significantly below median. Can anyone explain why/how this could have happened? I was under the impression that almost all of the top ranking vault firms have hard grade cut-offs. I am going to email the event organizer to make sure this is not a mistake. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Just go rock the interview. Who knows why. Shit happens.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:40 pm

sambeber wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I participated in a career fair and was preselected by a V20 firm for an interview. I was not expecting this at all being that my grades are significantly below median. Can anyone explain why/how this could have happened? I was under the impression that almost all of the top ranking vault firms have hard grade cut-offs. I am going to email the event organizer to make sure this is not a mistake. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

If its a diversity fair don't hold your breath. I was preselected by Skadden at blsa fair with grades that would indicate I had no chance I didn't. Ended up almost everyone that attended was selected to interview with them. No one I know got a callback. These job fairs can be hard to gauge in re seriousness of the employers attending. If its another kind of job fair disregard the response.

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:41 pm

Don't do this... Who cares how you get the interview, even if it was a mistake if they don't say anything about it, neither should you. Unless you have too many interviews at this career fair (which I doubt), you should not be questionining any interviews you receive.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
sambeber wrote:

If its a diversity fair don't hold your breath. I was preselected by Skadden at blsa fair with grades that would indicate I had no chance I didn't. Ended up almost everyone that attended was selected to interview with them. No one I know got a callback. These job fairs can be hard to gauge in re seriousness of the employers attending. If its another kind of job fair disregard the response.

It actually wasn't through a diversity fair surprisingly. It was through the On Tour Interview Program (OTIP). Duke, Georgetown, Northwestern and UVA are the schools invited to participate in the program.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
sambeber wrote:

It actually wasn't through a diversity fair surprisingly. It was through the On Tour Interview Program (OTIP). Duke, Georgetown, Northwestern and UVA are the schools invited to participate in the program.

I also got selected for an interview through OTIP with a firm I didn't think I was competitive with. You never know how many people are applying to which firms; just take the interview.

Return to “Legal Employment”