Post-grad job in different city than SA. Advice?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
pje319

Post-grad job in different city than SA. Advice?

Postby pje319 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:58 pm

I know there are several threads on here about the 3L job search, but I was hoping for some advice on my specific situation.

I did my first year at a TTTT and finished in the top 5% of my class (9/255) and then transferred to T20 for my second year. My grades dropped after I transferred, but I think I am still around the middle of the class and I did much better my second semester. I have two summers at firms, one in DC and the other in Louisville. Both firms are reputable, but not biglaw. I had to stay close to the city that my current school is in this summer because I am getting married there at the end of the summer and had to travel back and forth frequently.

I would like to move back to Chicago (where I'm from) or to Pittsburgh (where my fiancee is from) So my question is, what is the best way of going about this? Anything other than mass mailing? I don't have an offer from the Louisville firm and am not expecting one because they told me this was a "summer only" position; however, I have gotten very good reviews on all of my work. I'm looking to end up at a midlaw firm in Chicago or mid-to-biglaw in Pittsburgh, preferably doing bankruptcy or insurance coverage.

Thanks.
Last edited by pje319 on Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anon168

Re: Post-grad job in different city than SA. Advice?

Postby anon168 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:29 pm

pje319 wrote:I know there are several threads on here about the 3L job search, but I was hoping for some advice on my specific situation.

I did my first year at Marquette Law School and finished in the top 5% of my class (9/255) and then transferred to Vandy for my second year. My grades dropped after I transferred, but I think I am still around the middle of the class and I did much better my second semester. I have two summers at firms, one in DC and the other in Louisville. Both firms are reputable, but not biglaw. I had to stay close to Nashville this summer because I am getting married there at the end of the summer and had to travel back and forth frequently.

I would like to move back to Chicago (where I'm from) or to Pittsburgh (where my fiancee is from) So my question is, what is the best way of going about this? Anything other than mass mailing? I don't have an offer from the Louisville firm and am not expecting one because they told me this was a "summer only" position; however, I have gotten very good reviews on all of my work. I'm looking to end up at a midlaw firm in Chicago or mid-to-biglaw in Pittsburgh, preferably doing bankruptcy or insurance coverage.

Thanks.

Get a headhunter.

(By the way, you've posted alot of personal info that could easily "out" you. Just be careful.)

Lawyerhead

Re: Post-grad job in different city than SA. Advice?

Postby Lawyerhead » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:50 pm

anon168 wrote:Get a headhunter.

(By the way, you've posted alot of personal info that could easily "out" you. Just be careful.)

Then don't quote his outing information :p

Return to “Legal Employment”