Ties to a city

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Ties to a city

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:31 pm

I am planning on transferring to attend a higher ranked school that is also where my SO and all of his/her family lives. I, however, have no ties to the area. It is not NY or LA. I want to work there. Is this tie going to be enough for firms? I'm not asking you to read minds or speak to every firm, but if anyone has experience with this it'd be much appreciated. Would the fact that the school is in the city also be a good tie?

Haymarket

Re: Ties to a city

Postby Haymarket » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am planning on transferring to attend a higher ranked school that is also where my SO and all of his/her family lives. I, however, have no ties to the area. It is not NY or LA. I want to work there. Is this tie going to be enough for firms? I'm not asking you to read minds or speak to every firm, but if anyone has experience with this it'd be much appreciated. Would the fact that the school is in the city also be a good tie?

This literally gives no information that would be necessary for giving you even the slightest advice. We need to know the school you're transferring to, the actual market you want, and your grades at the very least. I mean, come on. You can give that up while still being anonymous.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:15 pm

No guarantee, but your SO/family being there is probably enough. But really, you might as well try and see what happens. Can't hurt to try.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:19 pm

Put / get a ring on it and you will be fine.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:48 pm

I was fine in the allegedly tie crazy PNW market with my only ties being SO from the area (though fiancee, not just "girlfriend"). I assume this would probably be fine other places too.

Return to “Legal Employment”