GULC 2012 EIW

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Number of screeners and callbacks received (don't vote until you're sure)

5-7 screeners
2
2%
8-10 screeners
4
4%
11-13 screeners
5
4%
14-16 screeners
12
11%
17+ screeners
37
33%
0 callbacks
6
5%
1-2 callbacks
14
13%
3-4 callbacks
5
4%
5-6 callbacks
5
4%
7+ callbacks
22
20%
 
Total votes: 112

henry flower
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:22 am

Re: GULC 2012 EIW

Postby henry flower » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:31 pm

Thanks. Not the answer I wanted to hear, but I figured that was the case. I suppose I can still try to sell my rank on my resume/ in interviews.

estopped
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:40 pm

Re: GULC 2012 EIW

Postby estopped » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:35 pm

sooo.... why have people voted?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273101
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: GULC 2012 EIW

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can we add some diversity measures to the list?

URM, LBGT, age/prior life experience, military...

I'd be particularly interested in seeing how LGBT folks do, as there is not much data on how firms "recruit" for that. For URMs, there are emails through APALSA, BLSA, LALSA, etc, but I don't recall getting anything through OutLaw, and the diversity receptions I've been to have been largely focused on racial diversity.

And yeah. OCS said that around 10-11 is average; diversifying markets increases that number while being very choosy about location decreases it. I'm expecting 4-6 myself since there's only one market I'm willing to be in for various personal reasons.

--Betty Boop


LGBT is definitely a thing firms recruit for. At least at NYU we were taken out by the LGBT affinity groups at a lot of the big firms here throughout second semester and some firms have made specific points of reaching out to us. Definitely include GULC's version of OutLaw on your resume. Even if you aren't a member.

pasteurizedmilk
Posts: 460
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:12 pm

Re: GULC 2012 EIW

Postby pasteurizedmilk » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:29 am

chipchip wrote:GPA. The firms get the GPA cutoffs so they can gauge and it ends up being pretty fair between the sections. They have their own GPA requirements, not percentile ones.

Class rank will be more important.

chipchip
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:56 pm

Re: GULC 2012 EIW

Postby chipchip » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:29 am

^ I disagree to a point. Obviously, if you end up in a section where the Top 10% cutoff is .1 higher than any other section's (which happened to me a few years ago), but your GPA is still solid and above the Top 10 of any other section, that's still going to count. The section cutoffs even out pretty much after the Top 10 even this year, so it's less of an issue. It's only where you end up in that netherzone between Top 10/15 between sections that it should matter.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273101
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: GULC 2012 EIW

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:37 am

chipchip wrote:^ I disagree to a point. Obviously, if you end up in a section where the Top 10% cutoff is .1 higher than any other section's (which happened to me a few years ago), but your GPA is still solid and above the Top 10 of any other section, that's still going to count. The section cutoffs even out pretty much after the Top 10 even this year, so it's less of an issue. It's only where you end up in that netherzone between Top 10/15 between sections that it should matter.


Can you explain what you mean about the netherzone, because I'm in it, i.e., I am top 15% in my section, but would be top 10% in others. How do you think that will play?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273101
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: GULC 2012 EIW

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:
chipchip wrote:^ I disagree to a point. Obviously, if you end up in a section where the Top 10% cutoff is .1 higher than any other section's (which happened to me a few years ago), but your GPA is still solid and above the Top 10 of any other section, that's still going to count. The section cutoffs even out pretty much after the Top 10 even this year, so it's less of an issue. It's only where you end up in that netherzone between Top 10/15 between sections that it should matter.


Can you explain what you mean about the netherzone, because I'm in it, i.e., I am top 15% in my section, but would be top 10% in others. How do you think that will play?


I'm in the exact opposite "netherzone," i.e., top 10% in my section, but there are other sections where I would barely be top 15%.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273101
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: GULC 2012 EIW

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
chipchip wrote:^ I disagree to a point. Obviously, if you end up in a section where the Top 10% cutoff is .1 higher than any other section's (which happened to me a few years ago), but your GPA is still solid and above the Top 10 of any other section, that's still going to count. The section cutoffs even out pretty much after the Top 10 even this year, so it's less of an issue. It's only where you end up in that netherzone between Top 10/15 between sections that it should matter.


Can you explain what you mean about the netherzone, because I'm in it, i.e., I am top 15% in my section, but would be top 10% in others. How do you think that will play?


I'm in the exact opposite "netherzone," i.e., top 10% in my section, but there are other sections where I would barely be top 15%.


Anon from above here. I just spent like five minutes trying to figure out if I'd rather be in your shoes or mine... and I'm still not sure.

User avatar
mr_toad
Posts: 669
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:08 am

Re: GULC 2012 EIW

Postby mr_toad » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
chipchip wrote:^ I disagree to a point. Obviously, if you end up in a section where the Top 10% cutoff is .1 higher than any other section's (which happened to me a few years ago), but your GPA is still solid and above the Top 10 of any other section, that's still going to count. The section cutoffs even out pretty much after the Top 10 even this year, so it's less of an issue. It's only where you end up in that netherzone between Top 10/15 between sections that it should matter.


Can you explain what you mean about the netherzone, because I'm in it, i.e., I am top 15% in my section, but would be top 10% in others. How do you think that will play?


I'm in the exact opposite "netherzone," i.e., top 10% in my section, but there are other sections where I would barely be top 15%.


Anon from above here. I just spent like five minutes trying to figure out if I'd rather be in your shoes or mine... and I'm still not sure.


First world problems... You're both going to do very well. :)

chipchip
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:56 pm

Re: GULC 2012 EIW

Postby chipchip » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:30 am

^ What (s)he said.

The firms won't bring it up with you at all. Your resume can probably just say Top X% in Section, which is what I did, and then you just move on. As long as you have the GPA cutoff they are looking for (e.g., Gibson Dunn DC supposedly is a 3.7), you should be fine. No one really cares about the exact rank. You shouldn't be punished for being in a section where a few people did markedly better and warped the curve for others.

pasteurizedmilk
Posts: 460
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:12 pm

Re: GULC 2012 EIW

Postby pasteurizedmilk » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:54 pm

There's maybe 2 or 3 firms that have "hard" GPA cutoffs. If GDC has a 3.7 that's new since I got an offer with a lower GPA.

Interviewers will look at your resume for indicators of intelligence. Being top 15%/top 10% suggests you are more intelligent then the peers you were measured against.

e.g., compare having a 3.5 but being outside the top 1/3 versus having a 3.45 but being inside the top 1/3. As an interviewer, I know the latter is smarter than at least 2/3 of his classmates. With the former, I don't know that. In fact, I know with certainty he is not smarter than 2/3 of his classmates.

User avatar
somewhatwayward
Posts: 1446
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: GULC 2012 EIW

Postby somewhatwayward » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:01 pm

pasteurizedmilk wrote:e.g., compare having a 3.5 but being outside the top 1/3 versus having a 3.45 but being inside the top 1/3. As an interviewer, I know the latter is smarter than at least 2/3 of his classmates. With the former, I don't know that. In fact, I know with certainty he is not smarter than 2/3 of his classmates.


yeah......if grades correlated perfectly with smartness

User avatar
androstan
Posts: 2546
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:07 am

Re: GULC 2012 EIW

Postby androstan » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:02 pm

pasteurizedmilk wrote:There's maybe 2 or 3 firms that have "hard" GPA cutoffs. If GDC has a 3.7 that's new since I got an offer with a lower GPA.

Interviewers will look at your resume for indicators of intelligence. Being top 15%/top 10% suggests you are more intelligent then the peers you were measured against.

e.g., compare having a 3.5 but being outside the top 1/3 versus having a 3.45 but being inside the top 1/3. As an interviewer, I know the latter is smarter than at least 2/3 of his classmates. With the former, I don't know that. In fact, I know with certainty he is not smarter than 2/3 of his classmates.


Cuz grads r perfect measurers of smartness.

pasteurizedmilk
Posts: 460
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:12 pm

Re: GULC 2012 EIW

Postby pasteurizedmilk » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:14 pm

Excuse me. 1L performance, not overall intelligence.

I shouldn't conflate the two.

But, yes, you would know with 100% certainty that one candidate outperformed at least 2/3 of his direct competition, and the other candidate did not.

User avatar
hipstermafia
Posts: 1053
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:45 pm

Re: GULC 2012 EIW

Postby hipstermafia » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:58 pm

soooo i think journals were posted at 5pm this friday last year

henry flower
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:22 am

Re: GULC 2012 EIW

Postby henry flower » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:12 pm

hipstermafia wrote:soooo i think journals were posted at 5pm this friday last year


Yup, that's what I heard too. Anxiously waiting.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273101
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: GULC 2012 EIW

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:06 pm

Tax Lawyer! Very excited...

Edit add: /s/ Rescue Ranger
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273101
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: GULC 2012 EIW

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Tax Lawyer! Very excited...



How do you know? When/where are the results?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273101
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: GULC 2012 EIW

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:33 pm

Write-on website. Need your exam number and write-on number.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273101
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: GULC 2012 EIW

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Tax Lawyer! Very excited...

me too!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273101
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: GULC 2012 EIW

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Write-on website. Need your exam number and write-on number.


Under the results tab? I am a transfer, and it says results aren't available at this time

Anonymous User
Posts: 273101
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: GULC 2012 EIW

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:21 pm

GLJ! Thrilled and super-relieved. My comment was looking a little shaky for a minute there...guess my obsessive bluebooking helped :)

--Betty Boop

henry flower
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:22 am

Re: GULC 2012 EIW

Postby henry flower » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Write-on website. Need your exam number and write-on number.


Under the results tab? I am a transfer, and it says results aren't available at this time


The transfer write-on is run under a slightly different timelime. You do the competition a few weeks later, so you probably get the results later as well. The website says "Early August" for results, but seeing as this is the same time-indicator given for the non-transfer competition, I doubt it will be that long.

henry flower
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:22 am

Re: GULC 2012 EIW

Postby henry flower » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:GLJ! Thrilled and super-relieved. My comment was looking a little shaky for a minute there...guess my obsessive bluebooking helped :)

--Betty Boop


Congratulations!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273101
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: GULC 2012 EIW

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:05 pm

henry flower wrote:Congratulations!

Thanks!

Another resume collect question: there are options in Symplicity to submit cover letters and transcripts. Are we supposed to do that, or is it strictly resumes like EIW?

--Betty Boop




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.