Time Between Screener and Callback

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Time Between Screener and Callback

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:43 am

I am doing an off campus interview program in New York in early august. I just realized, though, that (if I am lucky enough to get any callbacks), I won't be able to get up there until late August, right after our OCI. I have an SA I will be working at until then, and I don't think I can ask off to do a callback when I'm already asking off to do the interview program...

Is it very bad to wait close to a month to do the callback or is that OK since I will still have done the callback by the end of August.

Anonymous User

Re: Time Between Screener and Callback

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:40 pm

Securing a 2L SA is by far the most important thing you will be doing this summer. You should not let your 1L SA stand in the way of that.

I think legal employers tend to know how the game is played, and they won't stand in the way of your job search. If you're a K-JD, perhaps you're uncomfortable taking time off (note: take the time, don't ask) because you think it will reflect poorly on you, but that is most likely not the case. Taking two days off over the course of 10 or 12 weeks is by no means excessive. It's almost certainly less personal time than you would have accrued were you a full-time employee for that long. So long as your provide sufficient notice, your current employer will probably be more understanding than you think. And if they're not, their intransigence shouldn't deter you much because you're not their slave.

If you feel really bad about it, tell them you're willing to make up the time on a weekend or something. Either way, the 2L job search and especially callbacks should take precedence over your current position in all but the most extreme circumstances.

Return to “Legal Employment”