Uniform Bar Exam

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
PDaddy

Uniform Bar Exam

Postby PDaddy » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:24 am

Who plans on taking it, and what do you think are the advantages and disadvantages? Do biglaw employers have a preference?

dudders

Re: Uniform Bar Exam

Postby dudders » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:33 am

I plan on taking the Uniform Bar Exam because the state I want to practice in is a UBE state. I am unaware of any advantages/disadvantages or bigLOL employer opinions on the UBE. I'm not even sure they exist - besides if you want to practice in X states, you have to take it. I mean, it's not like you have a choice what's on any state's bar exam, it just IS the bar exam.

I want a UBE state. Maybe SA-types can state otherwise, but I really can't imagine any big firm (in said UBE state, or any UBE state), thinking; oooh, you took this state's UBE exam. We sooo would've preferred you took NY and been ineligible to waive in until you had 5-7 years of practice.

Also high five for water law not being on the UBE.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:35 am

I guess I'll necro this thread since I don't see too much recent action on the UBE. If anyone could offer advice regarding these questions I'd really appreciate it.

If the state I will be practicing in is a UBE state, would studying for a neighboring state with a fairly easy bar exam be feasible? (Just to keep options a little more open in the future?)

2) Is the UBE easier than most bar exams or is it up there with CA/NY?

3) How is it that different UBE states have different pass rates? http://www.statisticbrain.com/bar-exam-statistics/. Just a smarter group of test takers in Montana than Arizona?

horriblegb

Postby horriblegb » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:43 pm

FlanAl wrote:I guess I'll necro this thread since I don't see too much recent action on the UBE. If anyone could offer advice regarding these questions I'd really appreciate it.

If the state I will be practicing in is a UBE state, would studying for a neighboring state with a fairly easy bar exam be feasible? (Just to keep options a little more open in the future?)

2) Is the UBE easier than most bar exams or is it up there with CA/NY?

3) How is it that different UBE states have different pass rates? http://www.statisticbrain.com/bar-exam-statistics/. Just a smarter group of test takers in Montana than Arizona?

1. I dont really understand this question, you mean studying for a different state's bar then taking the UBE?

2. I would say it is middle ground from what I have heard, it is def. no CA, but I am planning on taking another bar this year that is suppose to be much easier than the UBE

3. They have different passage rates because, while it is the UBE, there are different passing scores required for each state. I am in AZ, it was a 273, Washington is 270, Montana 270, Colorado is 276, and so on

Return to “Legal Employment”