Political Affiliations

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Political Affiliations

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:14 pm

I saw a line of thinking in an earlier thread about removing any signs of political affiliation from your resume for OCI, which I understand. If we are going to remove political work (ex. campaign work, intern on the hill etc), what about the time gap? I omitted my political history, but that leaves a year in the middle of my resume. Thoughts?

JetsFan1990

Re: Political Affiliations

Postby JetsFan1990 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:22 pm

Also relevant to my situation. What about having two political internships (one republican, one democrat)? Is this safe for a resume?

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:23 pm

JetsFan1990 wrote:Also relevant to my situation. What about having two political internships (one republican, one democrat)? Is this safe for a resume?

What would they knock you for? Not being decisive?

JetsFan1990

Postby JetsFan1990 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:25 pm

Kronk wrote:
JetsFan1990 wrote:Also relevant to my situation. What about having two political internships (one republican, one democrat)? Is this safe for a resume?

What would they knock you for? Not being decisive?

hahah fair enough.

notedgarfigaro

Postby notedgarfigaro » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:51 pm

Did you lobby for NAMBLA?

Otherwise, a gap is worse than just about any political position you were doing. Seriously, unless it's something really extreme, your politics (if it was a job/internship) will probably not have a negative impact on your chances.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:01 pm

notedgarfigaro wrote:Did you lobby for NAMBLA?

Otherwise, a gap is worse than just about any political position you were doing. Seriously, unless it's something really extreme, your politics (if it was a job/internship) will probably not have a negative impact on your chances.

OP here: no just a campaign assistant for a candidate whos politics differ from those prevalent in my target market...not that I agreed with everything she thought, but nonetheless just a point of concern

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:10 pm

Systematically excluding law students based on a certain political affiliation is bad business. You should definitely keep it on your resume just like people keep FedSoc/ACS on their resume.

And honestly, if a place is going to exclude me based on my political preferences, that's probably not a place I want to work anyway.

angua

Postby angua » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:20 pm

List your job. Time gap is worse than admitting that you are human. As long as you are not advocating the overthrow of the government or something, there is nothing wrong with that job on your resume.

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:26 pm

angua wrote:List your job. Time gap is worse than admitting that you are human. As long as you are not advocating the overthrow of the government or something, there is nothing wrong with that job on your resume.

I like that this implies that political work is some kind of imperfection in the person. "You couldn't help but work man, you're just a human being." There's nothing wrong with political work, and I didn't even ever do any.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:51 pm

I had some very political stuff on my resume. By very political, I mean working for candidates with strong political views who are well known in the community where I summer. I got the position. I found out after the fact that my interviewer, who was the hiring partner, was an absolute Republican, and he hired me despite some big dem ties that I had.

Also, I worked for the Obama campaign and left it off my resume over fears like this, and also discovered, after the fact, that another one of my interviewers donated $500 to Obama. So, I think, all things considered, it is a good thing to put it on your resume as long as the experience is substantive and can be discussed without being polarizing.

angua

Postby angua » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:04 pm

Haymarket wrote:
angua wrote:List your job. Time gap is worse than admitting that you are human. As long as you are not advocating the overthrow of the government or something, there is nothing wrong with that job on your resume.

I like that this implies that political work is some kind of imperfection in the person. "You couldn't help but work man, you're just a human being." There's nothing wrong with political work, and I didn't even ever do any.

No, I was implying that if you are human, you have political views. There is no such thing as apolitical people. I don't think there is anything wrong with political work either! I think it can actually be great. It shows that you care about stuff.

angua

Postby angua » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote: it is a good thing to put it on your resume as long as the experience is substantive and can be discussed without being polarizing.

Anon is wise

Return to “Legal Employment”