Mass Mailing Response Question Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Mass Mailing Response Question

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:33 pm

I'm mass mailing firms in my home market, DC, and the market where I went to undergrad (firms in South Florida). I won't be in any of those places before OCI begins.

How will this work? Since I won't be in those cities for a screener, what will a firm do if they are interested in me? And when can I expect to hear back?

Thanks for the help.

Anonymous User

Re: Mass Mailing Response Question

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:33 pm

anyone? i'm going to mass-mail soon so i just want to know what to expect and make sure i'm doing it right.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:09 am

They will probably call you if they are interested. Indicate in your cover letter if you are willing to travel for a screener interview. But in my experience, a lot of places will want to do a phone interview first, and if they are still interested, have you come out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:24 am

kalvano wrote:They will probably call you if they are interested. Indicate in your cover letter if you are willing to travel for a screener interview. But in my experience, a lot of places will want to do a phone interview first, and if they are still interested, have you come out.
Thanks for the heads up. So the phone interview is essentially the screener?

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:
kalvano wrote:They will probably call you if they are interested. Indicate in your cover letter if you are willing to travel for a screener interview. But in my experience, a lot of places will want to do a phone interview first, and if they are still interested, have you come out.
Always has been for me when mass mailing. I'd imagine theyll call within a couple weeks if they're interested. I'm not sure I've ever had any mass-mailings outstanding for more than like a week or two that wasn't just a flat-out ignore or a rejection letter coming in the mail.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Yeah, pretty much. Some firms will do a Skype interview instead. But if they are interested, it will be a fairly quick response to your application.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:03 pm

kalvano wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yeah, pretty much. Some firms will do a Skype interview instead. But if they are interested, it will be a fairly quick response to your application.
Even if the application materials are sent in mid-July?

I appreciate all the input, everyone.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
kalvano wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Mid-July may take a little longer. End of July and into August is the busy season.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
kalvano wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'm at a lower T-14 with extremely strong florida ties, good amount above median. Sent out stuff to the big FL firms about a week and a half ago. So far got emails acknowledging they had received my app and asking me which office I had a preference for from greenberg and gunster. Got an interview request from Bilzin. Silence from the rest, probably gonna follow up with them later this week with an updated resume (to reflect journal). I doubt I'm a candidate who S.Fl. big law would flat out ignore or reject and I haven't heard back from a good amount of firms, so I wouldn't worry. When I talked to Bilzin, they said they try not to interview before their summer programs end so they may be waiting till then to get back to you. Good luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:59 pm

[/quote] I'm at a lower T-14 with extremely strong florida ties, good amount above median. Sent out stuff to the big FL firms about a week and a half ago. So far got emails acknowledging they had received my app and asking me which office I had a preference for from greenberg and gunster. Got an interview request from Bilzin. Silence from the rest, probably gonna follow up with them later this week with an updated resume (to reflect journal). I doubt I'm a candidate who S.Fl. big law would flat out ignore or reject and I haven't heard back from a good amount of firms, so I wouldn't worry. When I talked to Bilzin, they said they try not to interview before their summer programs end so they may be waiting till then to get back to you. Good luck.[/quote]

Have you received any new updates from any of those South Florida firms? Also applied to a few of the South Florida firms (and also at a T14), but so far, radio silence.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I'm at a lower T-14 with extremely strong florida ties, good amount above median. Sent out stuff to the big FL firms about a week and a half ago. So far got emails acknowledging they had received my app and asking me which office I had a preference for from greenberg and gunster. Got an interview request from Bilzin. Silence from the rest, probably gonna follow up with them later this week with an updated resume (to reflect journal). I doubt I'm a candidate who S.Fl. big law would flat out ignore or reject and I haven't heard back from a good amount of firms, so I wouldn't worry. When I talked to Bilzin, they said they try not to interview before their summer programs end so they may be waiting till then to get back to you. Good luck.[/quote]

Have you received any new updates from any of those South Florida firms? Also applied to a few of the South Florida firms (and also at a T14), but so far, radio silence.[/quote]

Got CBs at Greenberg, Akerman and Bilzin next week. Also a lunch interview with Fowler White Boggs. Still nothing from white & case, carlton fields, gunster.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:43 pm

also was wondering what type of responses to expect from firms when mass mailing. if they are rejecting you do they send you an email to let you know or do you just never hear from them? also, around when do you usually hear back if they are interested in interviewing you...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:also was wondering what type of responses to expect from firms when mass mailing. if they are rejecting you do they send you an email to let you know or do you just never hear from them? also, around when do you usually hear back if they are interested in interviewing you...
Also wondering about this. I'm guessing rejects are either through e-mail or standard mail. Based on another thread, it seems like people are already getting interview requests, so some firms seem to be moving pretty fast, though it probably depends on the market as well.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I'm at a lower T-14 with extremely strong florida ties, good amount above median. Sent out stuff to the big FL firms about a week and a half ago. So far got emails acknowledging they had received my app and asking me which office I had a preference for from greenberg and gunster. Got an interview request from Bilzin. Silence from the rest, probably gonna follow up with them later this week with an updated resume (to reflect journal). I doubt I'm a candidate who S.Fl. big law would flat out ignore or reject and I haven't heard back from a good amount of firms, so I wouldn't worry. When I talked to Bilzin, they said they try not to interview before their summer programs end so they may be waiting till then to get back to you. Good luck.
Have you received any new updates from any of those South Florida firms? Also applied to a few of the South Florida firms (and also at a T14), but so far, radio silence.[/quote]

Got CBs at Greenberg, Akerman and Bilzin next week. Also a lunch interview with Fowler White Boggs. Still nothing from white & case, carlton fields, gunster.[/quote]

Oh wow that's awesome, congrats! The only place I've heard from was Greenberg, and they just sent me a vague e-mail. Curious....did Greenberg call you when they gave you the callback, or e-mail?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Have you received any new updates from any of those South Florida firms? Also applied to a few of the South Florida firms (and also at a T14), but so far, radio silence.

Got CBs at Greenberg, Akerman and Bilzin next week. Also a lunch interview with Fowler White Boggs. Still nothing from white & case, carlton fields, gunster.[/quote]

Oh wow that's awesome, congrats! The only place I've heard from was Greenberg, and they just sent me a vague e-mail. Curious....did Greenberg call you when they gave you the callback, or e-mail?[/quote]

Email, then they took about a week to get back to me after I responded to set a date. Got a call to set the date. Call from bilzin for the interview. Same from akerman. Email from fowler white.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Got CBs at Greenberg, Akerman and Bilzin next week. Also a lunch interview with Fowler White Boggs. Still nothing from white & case, carlton fields, gunster.

Oh wow that's awesome, congrats! The only place I've heard from was Greenberg, and they just sent me a vague e-mail. Curious....did Greenberg call you when they gave you the callback, or e-mail?[/quote]

Email, then they took about a week to get back to me after I responded to set a date. Got a call to set the date. Call from bilzin for the interview. Same from akerman. Email from fowler white.[/quote]

Thanks for the info. Congrats! Good luck on those interviews =)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”