help...sample/ex. of govt. cover letter

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
anonymcoffee

help...sample/ex. of govt. cover letter

Postby anonymcoffee » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:11 am

does anyone have a sample cover letter they used for govt agencies? It would help me so so much ...maybe from someone that did honors or oci and were successful? I'm looking for how you professed your commitment to govt, etc. basically anything...

please PM me if you need to. thanks!

bender18

Re: help...sample/ex. of govt. cover letter

Postby bender18 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:56 am

Interested in this as well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:23 am

I'll bite. Current fed. agency honors attorney. The agency I ended up getting an offer form didn't require a cover letter, but this is a letter that successfully got me another agency interview during OCI. Completely botched the interview for this particular agency, but the cover letter was solid, and followed the general template that I used for all agency cover letters (had a total of 4 agency interviews during OCI).

Most details removed to keep from outing myself. Overall feel should still come through. Note that this was a litigation-focused position, thus the paragraph relating to litigation skills. Other agency positions are more regulatory law, less litigation, so you would want to tailor accordingly.

Dear X:

I am a third year law student at [Law School], and I am writing to express my interest in working at [Federal Agency]. I have significant family ties to the Washington area and am looking forward to settling down and beginning my career there after graduation.

I have a strong interest in public interest law, demonstrated through my work at [State Court A], [U.S. Attorney's Office B], and my upcoming participation in the [Law School Litigation Clinic]. While interning at [State Court A], I was inspired by watching [the Judge] adjudicate cases, focusing as much on achieving a just result as applying the letter of the law. That experience led me to my internship in the U.S. Attorney’s office, where I have been deeply satisfied to know I am advancing the public interest through my work. I have also developed a strong interest in [Agency's substantive law area], beginning with my [moot court] experience, in which I argued a case based on [relevant substantive law issue 1]. While working at the U.S. Attorney’s Office I prepared a [court filing] on a [relevant substantive law issue 2] claim, which was ultimately submitted [to court] with only minor stylistic edits. This demonstrates my excellent writing skills, as well as my ability to handle complex and important cases. I am greatly looking forward to my upcoming participation in the [Law School Litigation Clinic], which will give me the responsibility of handling my own case load of clients.

I gained a significant amount of litigation experience this summer interning at the U.S. Attorney’s Office. I worked closely with two different AUSA’s, including [the Division Chief], and my duties included organizing discovery, researching legal issues, developing trial strategy, and preparing pleadings and motions. Just as importantly, my time in the U.S. Attorney’s Office has given me practical experience working well as part of a team in a time-sensitive, sometimes high-stress legal environment. My success in [moot court] further demonstrates my promising litigation skills. I reached the semi-finals in [moot court competition X], and was also given [moot court award]. I have been selected to represent [Law School] in the prestigious [moot court competition Y] which attracts participants from top law schools around the world.

I know that my litigation experience and dedication to public interest law would be a great asset to [Federal Agency]. Thank you in advance for your consideration, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

anonymcoffee

Postby anonymcoffee » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:27 am

thanks!!

TLS is so firm focused but I know a lot of people at my school who have honors / agency jobs (I saw them on TLS tsk tsk) so I'm surprised there isn't more advice on govt. hiring.

Thank you again! This definitely helps ...any more out there?

anon168

Postby anon168 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:34 am

anonymcoffee wrote:thanks!!

TLS is so firm focused but I know a lot of people at my school who have honors / agency jobs (I saw them on TLS tsk tsk) so I'm surprised there isn't more advice on govt. hiring.

Feel free to send me your draft cover letter via PM, and I'd be happy to look at it for you.

anonymcoffee

Postby anonymcoffee » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:02 pm

anon168 wrote:
anonymcoffee wrote:thanks!!

Feel free to send me your draft cover letter via PM, and I'd be happy to look at it for you.

@anon168 will do later tonight after work thanks!

dowu

Postby dowu » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'll bite. Current fed. agency honors attorney. The agency I ended up getting an offer form didn't require a cover letter, but this is a letter that successfully got me another agency interview during OCI. Completely botched the interview for this particular agency, but the cover letter was solid, and followed the general template that I used for all agency cover letters (had a total of 4 agency interviews during OCI).

Most details removed to keep from outing myself. Overall feel should still come through. Note that this was a litigation-focused position, thus the paragraph relating to litigation skills. Other agency positions are more regulatory law, less litigation, so you would want to tailor accordingly.

Dear X:

I am a third year law student at [Law School], and I am writing to express my interest in working at [Federal Agency]. I have significant family ties to the Washington area and am looking forward to settling down and beginning my career there after graduation.

I have a strong interest in public interest law, demonstrated through my work at [State Court A], [U.S. Attorney's Office B], and my upcoming participation in the [Law School Litigation Clinic]. While interning at [State Court A], I was inspired by watching [the Judge] adjudicate cases, focusing as much on achieving a just result as applying the letter of the law. That experience led me to my internship in the U.S. Attorney’s office, where I have been deeply satisfied to know I am advancing the public interest through my work. I have also developed a strong interest in [Agency's substantive law area], beginning with my [moot court] experience, in which I argued a case based on [relevant substantive law issue 1]. While working at the U.S. Attorney’s Office I prepared a [court filing] on a [relevant substantive law issue 2] claim, which was ultimately submitted [to court] with only minor stylistic edits. This demonstrates my excellent writing skills, as well as my ability to handle complex and important cases. I am greatly looking forward to my upcoming participation in the [Law School Litigation Clinic], which will give me the responsibility of handling my own case load of clients.

I gained a significant amount of litigation experience this summer interning at the U.S. Attorney’s Office. I worked closely with two different AUSA’s, including [the Division Chief], and my duties included organizing discovery, researching legal issues, developing trial strategy, and preparing pleadings and motions. Just as importantly, my time in the U.S. Attorney’s Office has given me practical experience working well as part of a team in a time-sensitive, sometimes high-stress legal environment. My success in [moot court] further demonstrates my promising litigation skills. I reached the semi-finals in [moot court competition X], and was also given [moot court award]. I have been selected to represent [Law School] in the prestigious [moot court competition Y] which attracts participants from top law schools around the world.

I know that my litigation experience and dedication to public interest law would be a great asset to [Federal Agency]. Thank you in advance for your consideration, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

QFP.

bender18

Postby bender18 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:12 am

I feel like the most important things are stressing the desire to work in public interest law and in the particular geographic region. Is that correct?

Return to “Legal Employment”