JD/MBA a way around below median grades at UCLA?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

JD/MBA a way around below median grades at UCLA?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:42 pm

So basically I am trying to figure out whether or not it would be worth it to apply for the joint JD/MBA program at UCLA. I just completed 1L and ended up with a 3.13 so I'm sitting a bit below median (3.2), I don't have any journals or moot court but I do have a legal clinic. This summer I have a pretty good legal internship. I'm paying near sticker so I know I'm in a tough spot, but the somewhat positive fact is that I want to go back and work in my home state which is a much smaller market with no schools above 50. So far I have just been doing the non-OCI job search to firms.

I know that the JD/MBA is probably not the best idea for biglaw if you have the ability to get in with just the JD. BUT my question is, do you guys think it would be a good idea to enroll in the JD/MBA and give myself a second shot at 2L OCI next year?....I feel like if I can get on a journal, do moot court, and have an MBA in the works, my chances for biglaw have to improve. Maybe I am wrong though and should just try to bring my gpa up as much as I can and cut my losses to an extent...

What do you guys think? (And please save the "drop-out" talk or negative stuff, I came to law school and I plan to finish, I wanna be a lawyer even if it means IBR and gov't work for 10 years but I would prefer to start out making some money)

B.S. in Finance by the way.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: JD/MBA a way around below median grades at UCLA?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:55 pm

My first instinctive answer is no. Another year in school just to try and extend your chances doesn't seem worth it. Don't throw good money after bad. Do your best at OCI.

Others feel free to weigh in because I'm just answering off what I know.

Btw, how do you know that 3.2 is median at UCLA? I go to UCLA, too, and I haven't been able to find that out myself.

P.S. That's a lot of unnecessary personal information up there. May want to edit some of it out. Just saying.

Verity

Postby Verity » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:03 am

Getting the MBA would mean that you aren't totally set on being a lawyer. The MBA won't help you get a job as a lawyer. It will help you get a largely business-related job.

That said, if you take a job at a company, in management let's say, once you start to climb the ladder your JD might actually be helpful, if it informs your decisions and you can demonstrate that it does. There are a number of high-ranking officers at F500s that have a JD. It can come in handy; but then again, it's not necessary.

In all, it's a risk, and I'm not sure it's a smart one (unless you were going to a b school like HBS, SBS, Sloan, Booth, Wharton, etc.). If you want to switch from being a lawyer to doing business, then do it. If you want to be a lawyer, it won't help you get a job, and it will cost A LOT.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:05 am

No, firms still care about grades for JD/MBAs. What kind of work experience do you have?

If you think you might get the MBA anyway, it would probably be cheaper to do the joint program. Dropping out of law school, however, is probably TCR.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:45 am

Nope its about the dumbest thing you can do. There is no "way around" below median grades. Focus on finding paying legal work. Biglaw is out. Move on, don't try to delay or obfuscate.

cantaboot

Postby cantaboot » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:49 am

what if OP is open to legally related work or finance work?

I know a couple of below-median people at BU/BC going the MBA/JD route. Things have worked out fine. one got biglaw via the second OCI. another has a summer associateship with credit suisse.

Borg

Postby Borg » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:So basically I am trying to figure out whether or not it would be worth it to apply for the joint JD/MBA program at UCLA. I just completed 1L and ended up with a 3.13 so I'm sitting a bit below median (3.2), I don't have any journals or moot court but I do have a legal clinic. This summer I am working with the Florida Attorney General in the civil division. I'm paying near sticker so I know I'm in a tough spot, but the somewhat positive fact is that I want to go back and work in my home state of Florida which is a much smaller market with no schools above 50 and I went to UF for undergrad for the network. So far I have just been doing the non-OCI job search to firms in Florida (or who have offices in Florida).

I know that the JD/MBA is probably not the best idea for biglaw if you have the ability to get in with just the JD. BUT my question is, do you guys think it would be a good idea to enroll in the JD/MBA and give myself a second shot at 2L OCI next year?....I feel like if I can get on a journal, do moot court, and have an MBA in the works, my chances for biglaw have to improve. Maybe I am wrong though and should just try to bring my gpa up as much as I can and cut my losses to an extent...

What do you guys think? (And please save the "drop-out" talk or negative stuff, I came to law school and I plan to finish, I wanna be a lawyer even if it means IBR and gov't work for 10 years but I would prefer to start out making some money)

B.S. in Finance by the way.

edit: I'm looking for firms in Florida that pay over 100k, not necessarily just "biglaw"...in case that changes any answers

I'm a JD/MBA. The MBA is not going to erase the grades. See how OCI goes and then assess, but I think it's a bad idea to do this just to chase a biglaw job.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:08 am

My suggestion:

1. Go for the MBA
2. Drop out of Law School
3. Get a business-related job via b-school (you'll make decent money and probably have better hours)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:My suggestion:

1. Go for the MBA
3. Get a business-related job via b-school (you'll make decent money and probably have better hours)

Related post on a b-school forum

1. Go to law school/ med school
2. Drop out of b-school
3. You might actually get a job that pays six-figures to pay off debt, even if your school is not a top 5.

Moral: there are no jerbs, bro.

swampthang

Postby swampthang » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My suggestion:

1. Go for the MBA

Related post on a b-school forum

1. Go to law school/ med school
2. Drop out of b-school
3. You might actually get a job that pays six-figures to pay off debt, even if your school is not a top 5.

Moral: there are no jerbs, bro.

This. Also, re original #3, I don't think it's correct to assume the hours are magically better. When a lawyer complains about fielding a 2 am client call, you do realize this means it's because their client (i.e., typically someone in the 'business' world) is up at 2 am working, don't you?

Return to “Legal Employment”