Women's suits

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Xifeng

Re: Women's suits

Postby Xifeng » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:03 am

I have brightish blue shirts I'm considering wearing. Red may be a bit much, though. It depends on how risk-averse you are, though. Red may also be seen as "sexier," which is a look you should avoid in interviews.

Rocío

Postby Rocío » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:48 pm

istara wrote:I had a judge recently tell me that he thinks it is inappropriate to wear a red shirt under a suit in front of a jury. I was wearing a bright red shirt when he said this (I love bright colors). I don't get it either, but... it is what it is.

That said, I will definitely be wearing my bright green shirt on Wednesday. I love it, it makes me feel confident, and if that's the reason I don't get a callback, then I didn't want to work there anyway (terrible philosophy ITE.. please don't follow my lead!).

Court rules are a little different from interviews. You can definitely get away with color in court, but you still want to follow the general rules for looking classy - so no short skirts, and always wear heels. Also, I often see women wearing a heel that is noticably nicked or scuffed (like the heel got caught in the crack of a sidewalk or something). This just looks cheap, and is distracting, especially if your heel clicks on the ground when you walk (which is often the case when the heel loses its tip). Cobblers can easily fix this! The goal is to look pulled together - looking messy or revealing will be distracting.

Older female attorneys often say they like wearing a pop of color in front of juries. Judges might think otherwise, of course.
Last edited by Rocío on Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MarylandGirl

Postby MarylandGirl » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:28 pm

What are you guys wearing to the OCI location? I normally would wear my sandals but I'll have tights on. I can't wear flats because those also give me blisters. Would it look really bad to arrive in sneakers? Is there any chance interviewers will see me arriving and remember it?

Ozymandias

Postby Ozymandias » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:38 pm

Tennis shoes would look bizarre. Find a pair of flats that don't give you blisters. Especially since you're wearing hose, it shouldn't be too hard to find a comfortable pair.

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:46 pm

And would your tennis shoes even fit in your bag without looking crazy? Get some of those Gap flats that fold up.

MarylandGirl

Postby MarylandGirl » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:55 pm

I also think that tennis shoes would look weird, unfortunately. I'll take a look at these brands. I've wasted money on two new suits, I guess new shoes won't make too much difference now.

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:27 pm

Xifeng wrote:And would your tennis shoes even fit in your bag without looking crazy? Get some of those Gap flats that fold up.

TITCR. Ann Taylor had some of those flats on super clearance recently. Black with black patent for $12 a pair, I think.

ml1212

Postby ml1212 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:45 pm

Is it really that conservative that you can't wear some color and be ok with pants? I worked in finance and I always work color, often pant suits, and some work dresses that were plain and conservative. Seems awful restrictive, but I guess that is how it goes...a bit constraining.

Ozymandias

Postby Ozymandias » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:47 pm

ml1212 wrote:Is it really that conservative that you can't wear some color and be ok with pants? I worked in finance and I always work color, often pant suits, and some work dresses that were plain and conservative. Seems awful restrictive, but I guess that is how it goes...a bit constraining.

No one has said that you can't wear some color or that you can't wear a pantsuit.

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:50 pm

Ozymandias wrote:
ml1212 wrote:Is it really that conservative that you can't wear some color and be ok with pants? I worked in finance and I always work color, often pant suits, and some work dresses that were plain and conservative. Seems awful restrictive, but I guess that is how it goes...a bit constraining.

No one has said that you can't wear some color or that you can't wear a pantsuit.

Also, we're mostly talking about what's interview appropriate, not necessarily day-to-day.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:21 pm

Ozymandias wrote:

I got all my cbs from the day I wore a pantsuit. I don't understand why people seem to think they aren't as nice as skirt suits.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:28 pm

Xifeng wrote:
Ozymandias wrote:

Also, we're mostly talking about what's interview appropriate, not necessarily day-to-day.

+1. Dressing for an interview is totally different from day-to-day office wear.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:57 pm

ilovesf wrote:
Ozymandias wrote:

I got all my cbs from the day I wore a pantsuit. I don't understand why people seem to think they aren't as nice as skirt suits.

Thanks for this. I really want to wear my pants suit.

Also, my legs are really pale since I haven't really spent any time at the beach, but my face is tan since I do go outside. I hate skin tone hosiery for this reason. I literally had a huge mental debate whether I go with slightly more tan to match my face or lighter to match my skin tone ha.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:54 am

Sorry to bring this thread back to suit color...but will this grey suit be okay for a callback in NY? It's a long, sad story but I will not have a black suit available for the callback.

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh5 ... 810f74.jpg

If yes, black or nude pumps?

[Edit: Fixed the link!]
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:24 am

We can't see that link. It goes to a school Gmail page.

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:Honestly I disagree with almost everything on here. If you wear a skirt suit and it is the summer, you do NOT need to wear stockings. Period. Wear any color suit your want (maybe not light tan) Wear any color shirt your want. I have done the gammot and have offers. I just think generally the rules are a lot more lax for women, and somone might enjoy looking at a grey suit in a sea of black.

I think this might be dependent on where in the country you are. In the South, if you're wearing not wearing pantyhose and you're wearing a skirt suit, anyone over the age of 35 is going to look at you like you're crazy.

eandy

Postby eandy » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:15 pm

emkay625 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Honestly I disagree with almost everything on here. If you wear a skirt suit and it is the summer, you do NOT need to wear stockings. Period. Wear any color suit your want (maybe not light tan) Wear any color shirt your want. I have done the gammot and have offers. I just think generally the rules are a lot more lax for women, and somone might enjoy looking at a grey suit in a sea of black.

I think this might be dependent on where in the country you are. In the South, if you're wearing not wearing pantyhose and you're wearing a skirt suit, anyone over the age of 35 is going to look at you like you're crazy.

I was told not to wear pantyhose unless I'm over the age of 35 in two different Georgia DA's offices, which are much more formal/ strict than most firms.
YMMV.
Personally, I'd only wear hose for a jury trial or a really important hearing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:29 pm

I have a callback that is listed as business casual (Bryan Cave, if anyone knows the firm well enough that it makes a difference?).

I'm thinking long sleeve button down, pencil skirt (suit skirt), and pumps. Was hoping to avoid the stockings (I can't keep my feet from slide forward, even with inserts, and my toes get totally crushed after standing more than 5 minutes). I don't have any cardigans or jackets that I would consider nice enough to wear to an interview. And this is the Phoenix office, so it's going to be ~100 degrees out. Sound reasonable?

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have a callback that is listed as business casual (Bryan Cave, if anyone knows the firm well enough that it makes a difference?).

I'm thinking long sleeve button down, pencil skirt (suit skirt), and pumps. Was hoping to avoid the stockings (I can't keep my feet from slide forward, even with inserts, and my toes get totally crushed after standing more than 5 minutes). I don't have any cardigans or jackets that I would consider nice enough to wear to an interview. And this is the Phoenix office, so it's going to be ~100 degrees out. Sound reasonable?

Get those little heel sock things and put them on underneath the stockings. That stopped the sliding and my feet no longer felt like falling off at the end of the day.

jbarl1

Postby jbarl1 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:41 am

I know this isn't about suits, but I was wondering what is most appropriate for my hairstyle for an interview. I have long (down to the bottom of my ribs), straight blonde hair. I was thinking of putting it in a bun, but I didn't know if that would come across as too harsh. I'm interviewing at a government department field office. Thanks!

Dany

Postby Dany » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:51 am

jbarl1 wrote:I know this isn't about suits, but I was wondering what is most appropriate for my hairstyle for an interview. I have long (down to the bottom of my ribs), straight blonde hair. I was thinking of putting it in a bun, but I didn't know if that would come across as too harsh. I'm interviewing at a government department field office. Thanks!

I think a bun is fine (and preferable to your hair being down), and you don't have to make it super slicked back or harsh-looking.

mensusa

Postby mensusa » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:59 am

akili wrote:Is wearing a black suit a problem for interviews? I was under the impression it was preferred :(

(and I just bought one)

I know the light color shirt or white shirt are preferable for interview

dddhhh

Postby dddhhh » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:11 pm

For winter interviews, are skirt suits still recommended? I'm from the south and am use to them but this interview is up north and I am unsure if this is still the best option. Any advice appreciated!

HellOnHeels

Postby HellOnHeels » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:31 pm

dddhhh wrote:For winter interviews, are skirt suits still recommended? I'm from the south and am use to them but this interview is up north and I am unsure if this is still the best option. Any advice appreciated!

I'd also like to know the answer to this. It's cold outside!

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:57 pm

HellOnHeels wrote:
dddhhh wrote:For winter interviews, are skirt suits still recommended? I'm from the south and am use to them but this interview is up north and I am unsure if this is still the best option. Any advice appreciated!

I'd also like to know the answer to this. It's cold outside!

Wear stockings. Seriously.

Honestly, you can wear a pants suit if you really want; it's not going to matter. But don't go out and buy one if you already have a skirt suit.

Return to “Legal Employment”