Women's suits

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
eandy

Re: Women's suits

Postby eandy » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:51 pm

dropdeaddiva wrote:What about a shell with a bit of texture like this one? Everything else I'm wearing is very conservative: black skirt suit, low black heels, pantyhose, etc

http://www.anntaylor.com/ann/product/AT ... Color=1071

(the winter white one)

Corporette has said multiple times to avoid lace in conservative situations because it can look a little like lingerie. I wouldn't do it for an interview.

plenipotentiary

Postby plenipotentiary » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:04 pm

eandy wrote:
dropdeaddiva wrote:What about a shell with a bit of texture like this one? Everything else I'm wearing is very conservative: black skirt suit, low black heels, pantyhose, etc

(the winter white one)

Corporette has said multiple times to avoid lace in conservative situations because it can look a little like lingerie. I wouldn't do it for an interview.

I don't think the shirt linked above looks anything like lingerie. Even less so in colors other than white. I would probably stay away from white lace and black lace and lace v-necks, but I think lace can be fine.

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:56 pm

eandy wrote:

(the winter white one)

Yeah; I was just out today looking for blouses (had the most difficult time... really? no conservatively cut blouses in muted colors? I can't wait for September--and the fall color palate--to hit), and there were a lot of cute lace tops. But, my mother has often expressed an aversion to lace clothing items to the extent where I suspect it's one of those rules from her (baby boomer) generation that you shouldn't chance breaking at an interview.

dropdeaddiva

Postby dropdeaddiva » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:54 pm

Okay, good to know- thanks all! I thought maybe since it was a modest neckline and a "geometrical" kind of lace it might work. I am having a hard time finding a shell that works with my one button jacket- enough of the shell shows when I'm wearing the blazer that the really plain shells look all wrong to me. I'll have to readjust my standards for OCI! (or keep shopping, woe is me) Thanks again :)

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:36 am

dropdeaddiva wrote:Okay, good to know- thanks all! I thought maybe since it was a modest neckline and a "geometrical" kind of lace it might work. I am having a hard time finding a shell that works with my one button jacket- enough of the shell shows when I'm wearing the blazer that the really plain shells look all wrong to me. I'll have to readjust my standards for OCI! (or keep shopping, woe is me) Thanks again :)

I wore this under my suit for interviews this week. It isn't super stylish, but it's a conservative white shell.

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/calv ... D%3DCalvin Klein%26sp%3D1%26spc%3D54%26ruleId%3D25%26slotId%3D30

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:53 am

alicrimson wrote:
dropdeaddiva wrote:Okay, good to know- thanks all! I thought maybe since it was a modest neckline and a "geometrical" kind of lace it might work. I am having a hard time finding a shell that works with my one button jacket- enough of the shell shows when I'm wearing the blazer that the really plain shells look all wrong to me. I'll have to readjust my standards for OCI! (or keep shopping, woe is me) Thanks again :)

I wore this under my suit for interviews this week. It isn't super stylish, but it's a conservative white shell.

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/calv ... D%3DCalvin Klein%26sp%3D1%26spc%3D54%26ruleId%3D25%26slotId%3D30

That is a great shell. What is the fit like? True to size?

When I did OCI, I wore the older version of this top: http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/pr ... =415879052

I had it in a light pink and cream. I don't think the light pink made any difference, just don't wear bright colors and remember you're not making a fashion statement and you'll be good to go :)

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:01 am

alicrimson wrote:

That's the one I just bought yesterday!! After trying on no fewer than two dozen blouses at The Limited, Ann Taylor, Express, NY & Co., and Macy's, it was the only one I bought. And so reasonably priced! I'll likely dress it up with fun (but still appropriate) jewelry.

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:26 am

Georgiana wrote:
alicrimson wrote:

That is a great shell. What is the fit like? True to size?

When I did OCI, I wore the older version of this top: http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/pr ... =415879052

I had it in a light pink and cream. I don't think the light pink made any difference, just don't wear bright colors and remember you're not making a fashion statement and you'll be good to go :)

I think it's pretty true to size, if not a hair on the big side. The only complaints I've seen is that it's a little short; however, I think this depends on what you're wearing on bottom. With pant or skirt suits that come up to atleast an inch or so below the belly button, you'll be fine. I'm 5'11 with a long torso and had no problems.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:27 pm

Do any of you guys wear flats to callbacks/interviews? My feet start to get really sore after a while and I'm dreading how uncomfortable heels will be but I dont really like the way suits look with flats

Ozymandias

Postby Ozymandias » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:36 pm

No, never. Just switch out between interviews or get a comfier pair of heels.

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:59 pm

As far as shells go, I found a couple of great ones for about $18 each at Nordstrom Rack. They're slightly racerback, but under a suit jacket no one can tell. FYI. (I can't find a link for them, but I'll check the actual brand out when I get home from work).

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:35 pm

swilson215 wrote:As far as shells go, I found a couple of great ones for about $18 each at Nordstrom Rack. They're slightly racerback, but under a suit jacket no one can tell. FYI. (I can't find a link for them, but I'll check the actual brand out when I get home from work).

I wonder if we got the same one? I got a Soprano racerback-type shell from Nordstrom Rack, but I can't find it online.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:43 pm

Honestly I disagree with almost everything on here. If you wear a skirt suit and it is the summer, you do NOT need to wear stockings. Period. Wear any color suit your want (maybe not light tan) Wear any color shirt your want. I have done the gammot and have offers. I just think generally the rules are a lot more lax for women, and somone might enjoy looking at a grey suit in a sea of black.

Ozymandias

Postby Ozymandias » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Honestly I disagree with almost everything on here. If you wear a skirt suit and it is the summer, you do NOT need to wear stockings. Period. Wear any color suit your want (maybe not light tan) Wear any color shirt your want. I have done the gammot and have offers. I just think generally the rules are a lot more lax for women, and somone might enjoy looking at a grey suit in a sea of black.

Well good for you. Of course exceptions exist, and no one is saying you must wear certain things to get an offer. But there are still conservative and safe recommendations to make for those who might be unsure of what to wear, and you will almost certainly make a bad impression if you show up in a bright red suit or wear a neon pink lace top, just as you almost certainly will look professional and put together in a black or gray skirt suit with conservative pumps, a nice neutral shell, etc.

Also, that didn't need to be anonymous, and it's "gamut," not "gammot."

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:13 pm

Xifeng wrote:
swilson215 wrote:As far as shells go, I found a couple of great ones for about $18 each at Nordstrom Rack. They're slightly racerback, but under a suit jacket no one can tell. FYI. (I can't find a link for them, but I'll check the actual brand out when I get home from work).

I wonder if we got the same one? I got a Soprano racerback-type shell from Nordstrom Rack, but I can't find it online.

Yep, that's it! I might go back and get another one, I actually got a compliment on the wasabi green one I wore (under my charcoal suit) this weekend.

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:23 pm

Ozymandias wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Honestly I disagree with almost everything on here. If you wear a skirt suit and it is the summer, you do NOT need to wear stockings. Period. Wear any color suit your want (maybe not light tan) Wear any color shirt your want. I have done the gammot and have offers. I just think generally the rules are a lot more lax for women, and somone might enjoy looking at a grey suit in a sea of black.

Well good for you. Of course exceptions exist, and no one is saying you must wear certain things to get an offer. But there are still conservative and safe recommendations to make for those who might be unsure of what to wear, and you will almost certainly make a bad impression if you show up in a bright red suit or wear a neon pink lace top, just as you almost certainly will look professional and put together in a black or gray skirt suit with conservative pumps, a nice neutral shell, etc.

Agreed. I will say that little bits of personality can be good for your own confidence/sense of feeling put together. The first suit I bought I fell in love with at Brooks Bros because it had pink and blue pin stripes. It was interesting, but you didn't necessarily notice them unless you looked really hard. If i wore a light pink shirt, it brought that out a bit more, if I wore blue, you could see the blue. I still love the suit and think the skirt by itself is interesting and versatile. They had a navy suit with light green pinstripes the next season and I've always regretted not buying it.

justhoping

Postby justhoping » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:03 pm

Is the dress code different for screeners v. callbacks? I kind of think I should at least not wear the exactly same clothes...

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:31 am

I see the dress code for interviews as being akin to learning how to write. The best writers use poetic license, but when you're first learning, you should stick to the rules because it's so easy to break them to your detriment. The advice that's posted in here is the strict rules. I think it's generally a good idea to get used to and understand the strict rules before straying from them. I agree that it can be good to stand out, but it's far more difficult to stand out in a good way than in a bad way.

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:37 pm

swilson215 wrote:
Xifeng wrote:

Yep, that's it! I might go back and get another one, I actually got a compliment on the wasabi green one I wore (under my charcoal suit) this weekend.

My mother has decided that she thinks it's "too low-cut" for interviews. Despite there being 0 boobs involved. Argh.

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:43 pm

Xifeng wrote:My mother has decided that she thinks it's "too low-cut" for interviews. Despite there being 0 boobs involved. Argh.

No boobage! Haha, well, my mock interviewer (a woman partner I was set up with to do a trial screener with for feedback) said she liked it...

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:44 pm

swilson215 wrote:
Xifeng wrote:My mother has decided that she thinks it's "too low-cut" for interviews. Despite there being 0 boobs involved. Argh.

No boobage! Haha, well, my mock interviewer (a woman partner I was set up with to do a trial screener with for feedback) said she liked it...

Yeah I mean...literally no one has ever said that about ANY of my clothes. So I'm going to write it off as a crazy mother thing. Makes me feel better your mock interviewer who was a woman liked it, though!

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:28 am

FWIW, I asked career services specifically and they told me I should definitely wear hose, whereas collared shirts are not necessary, and to stay away from crazy/bright/obnoxious colors.

bigredforlaw

Postby bigredforlaw » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:07 pm

Just wanted to share that I got these Anne Klein pumps in black leather in the mail yesterday and they're the most comfortable pair of heels I have ever owned: http://www.6pm.com/anne-klein-7wystere-black-leather. Not the biggest fan of the patent heel but maybe it'll keep the heel from scratching.

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:16 am

I have two questions. First, I just bought this LOVELY jade dress that I'm assuming I can't wear until I have a job. Confirmation on that?
Second, I have a red shirt that I want to wear under my jacket but again, I'm thinking it might be too bright. Why is wearing a splash of color on an otherwise boring suit so faux pas? It's not like I want to wear lace or bright animal prints. This is more of a rant than a question since I'll err on the side of caution and I won't wear either, but it's so frustrating.

istara

Postby istara » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:00 am

I had a judge recently tell me that he thinks it is inappropriate to wear a red shirt under a suit in front of a jury. I was wearing a bright red shirt when he said this (I love bright colors). I don't get it either, but... it is what it is.

That said, I will definitely be wearing my bright green shirt on Wednesday. I love it, it makes me feel confident, and if that's the reason I don't get a callback, then I didn't want to work there anyway (terrible philosophy ITE.. please don't follow my lead!).

Return to “Legal Employment”