Women's suits

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
Ozymandias
Posts: 166
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:49 am

Re: Women's suits

Postby Ozymandias » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Ozymandias wrote:
sheD wrote:What do y'all think about wearing a French blue button-up or silk blouse? Appropriate, or does blue need to be pale for interviews?

I think french blue looks lovely.


Wtf is french blue?

Sweet use of the anon feature. Also, google.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273310
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Women's suits

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:40 am

I have a dark navy suit and have been given conflicting advice as to what color shoes I should be wearing (there was some disagreement a few posts back in this thread as well I think). I used to wear it with black, but it seems like people just can't agree on whether that's OK or not. I'd rather just stick to whatever's least "controversial," and was told that brown would be a conservative/safe bet with a navy suit. I'm a little confused as to what kind of brown I'm supposed to be getting. I''ve been eyeing these, but clueless as to whether they are more appropriate than my black pumps. http://www.jcrew.com/womens_category/sh ... /46785.jsp

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

formerbiglawpartner
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:32 pm

Re: Women's suits

Postby formerbiglawpartner » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:50 am

Make life easy on yourself. Stick with black which is always appropriate. Just be sure they are shined and your heel caps are in good shape, too.

User avatar
Ozymandias
Posts: 166
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:49 am

Re: Women's suits

Postby Ozymandias » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have a dark navy suit and have been given conflicting advice as to what color shoes I should be wearing (there was some disagreement a few posts back in this thread as well I think). I used to wear it with black, but it seems like people just can't agree on whether that's OK or not. I'd rather just stick to whatever's least "controversial," and was told that brown would be a conservative/safe bet with a navy suit. I'm a little confused as to what kind of brown I'm supposed to be getting. I''ve been eyeing these, but clueless as to whether they are more appropriate than my black pumps. http://www.jcrew.com/womens_category/sh ... /46785.jsp

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

I love those and prefer them with navy, but really, it doesn't matter. As long as you look conservative and professional and nothing stands out in a bad way, no interviewer is going to say "Black shoes with a navy suit? No callback for her."

Seffer15
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 5:17 pm

Re: Women's suits

Postby Seffer15 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:10 pm

Are jewel tones definitely not okay under a gray suit? I have darker coloring (think Rashida Jones) and have plenty of nice silk shells in those types of colors. I think whites look so boring and pastels just don't look good with my skin tone.

formerbiglawpartner
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:32 pm

Re: Women's suits

Postby formerbiglawpartner » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:36 pm

You'll be fine just as long as the silk is not very shiny. Also, with a shell, you mainly see the jacket anyway. Good luck.

yogurt31
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:55 am

Re: Women's suits

Postby yogurt31 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:26 pm

Ozymandias wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Ozymandias wrote:
sheD wrote:What do y'all think about wearing a French blue button-up or silk blouse? Appropriate, or does blue need to be pale for interviews?

I think french blue looks lovely.


Wtf is french blue?

Sweet use of the anon feature. Also, google.


not the anon from above, but i googled and am a bit unclear. is the 'indigo blue' for this shell french blue or 'jewel tone'?

--LinkRemoved--

User avatar
Ozymandias
Posts: 166
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:49 am

Re: Women's suits

Postby Ozymandias » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:40 pm

Does it matter? It's a pretty and conservative blue. It would be fine for OCI. I wouldn't personally consider it a "jewel tone" because I think a blue jewel tone would be deep sapphire, but I'm not a fashion expert or anything.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273310
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Women's suits

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:59 pm

Having read through the previous replies, seems like pantyhose is a must. Why though?
It's summer and I am not particulary hairy or scarred on my legs..?

formerbiglawpartner
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:32 pm

Re: Women's suits

Postby formerbiglawpartner » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:10 pm

I'm sure guys feel the same way about wearing ties. Just do it. You don't know the particular firm's dress code at each interview, so why risk it?

User avatar
lawyergirl47
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:31 am

Re: Women's suits

Postby lawyergirl47 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:28 pm

Hey ladies,

I am having some trouble finding an interview-friendly black platform pump for OCI... I am really short (5'0"), so I need all the height I can get. Any suggestions? Thanks!

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11776
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: Women's suits

Postby ilovesf » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:36 pm

lawyergirl47 wrote:Hey ladies,

I am having some trouble finding an interview-friendly black platform pump for OCI... I am really short (5'0"), so I need all the height I can get. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Are you looking for pointed toe or rounded?

User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: Women's suits

Postby akili » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:41 pm

Should I be dry-cleaning/ironing my suit after every interview?

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11776
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: Women's suits

Postby ilovesf » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:44 pm

akili wrote:Should I be dry-cleaning/ironing my suit after every interview?

Dry cleaning after every interview seems unneeded unless you spill something. I steam them with my small portable steamer - it gets out wrinkles REALLY quickly and doesn't leave any creases.

User avatar
alicrimson
Posts: 923
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:27 pm

Re: Women's suits

Postby alicrimson » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:44 pm

lawyergirl47 wrote:Hey ladies,

I am having some trouble finding an interview-friendly black platform pump for OCI... I am really short (5'0"), so I need all the height I can get. Any suggestions? Thanks!


If round, I'd go with the Ninewest Caress or Ambition. They are boring, but they are pretty basic and are very conservative.

Also, side note, I was mocked by friends for stating that I was going to wear panty hoes to OCI. WTF? The girl, who clerked for two years before coming back for her LLM, said that she had never heard of this panty hoes business and thinks it to be kind of silly/stuffy. I told her that I went with a very sheer shade that looks like I'm not wearing any unless one is specifically looking. I thought the panty hoes with skirt suit was common knowledge...?

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11776
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: Women's suits

Postby ilovesf » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:45 pm

alicrimson wrote:
lawyergirl47 wrote:Hey ladies,

I am having some trouble finding an interview-friendly black platform pump for OCI... I am really short (5'0"), so I need all the height I can get. Any suggestions? Thanks!


If round, I'd go with the Ninewest Caress or Ambition. They are boring, but they are pretty basic and are very conservative.

Also, side note, I was mocked by friends for stating that I was going to wear panty hoes to OCI. WTF? The girl, who clerked for two years before coming back for her LLM, said that she had never heard of this panty hoes business and thinks it to be kind of silly/stuffy. I told her that I went with a very sheer shade that looks like I'm not wearing any unless one is specifically looking. I thought the panty hoes with skirt suit was common knowledge...?

I'm definitely wearing them. Our CSO tells us to.

User avatar
franklyscarlet
Posts: 2915
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:16 pm

Re: Women's suits

Postby franklyscarlet » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:47 pm

alicrimson wrote:
lawyergirl47 wrote:Hey ladies,

I am having some trouble finding an interview-friendly black platform pump for OCI... I am really short (5'0"), so I need all the height I can get. Any suggestions? Thanks!


If round, I'd go with the Ninewest Caress or Ambition. They are boring, but they are pretty basic and are very conservative.

Also, side note, I was mocked by friends for stating that I was going to wear panty hoes to OCI. WTF? The girl, who clerked for two years before coming back for her LLM, said that she had never heard of this panty hoes business and thinks it to be kind of silly/stuffy. I told her that I went with a very sheer shade that looks like I'm not wearing any unless one is specifically looking. I thought the panty hoes with skirt suit was common knowledge...?


I wouldn't recommend bringing along Panty hoes. Might offend some of the more conservative partners.

pantyhose, on the other hand, are tcr as far as I know. :D

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Women's suits

Postby keg411 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:50 pm

Pantyhose/stockings are awesome and make your legs look 1000% better. People just have horror memories of wearing them as kids, hence the hate.

User avatar
Ozymandias
Posts: 166
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:49 am

Re: Women's suits

Postby Ozymandias » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:54 pm

keg411 wrote:Pantyhose/stockings are awesome and make your legs look 1000% better. People just have horror memories of wearing them as kids, hence the hate.

This this this. I was so adamantly against wearing them but I started for 1L interviews and my job this summer and I love them now.

User avatar
lawyergirl47
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:31 am

Re: Women's suits

Postby lawyergirl47 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:56 pm

ilovesf wrote:
lawyergirl47 wrote:Hey ladies,

I am having some trouble finding an interview-friendly black platform pump for OCI... I am really short (5'0"), so I need all the height I can get. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Are you looking for pointed toe or rounded?


Rounded, I think. Though I've been staring at these all weekend: http://www.ninewest.com/Love-Fury/87245 ... st-catalog

These: http://www.ninewest.com/Homage/9335389, ... st-catalog would be fine, but I thought the consensus was against patent leather?

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Women's suits

Postby keg411 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:59 pm

lawyergirl47 wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
lawyergirl47 wrote:Hey ladies,

I am having some trouble finding an interview-friendly black platform pump for OCI... I am really short (5'0"), so I need all the height I can get. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Are you looking for pointed toe or rounded?


Rounded, I think. Though I've been staring at these all weekend: http://www.ninewest.com/Love-Fury/87245 ... st-catalog

These: http://www.ninewest.com/Homage/9335389, ... st-catalog would be fine, but I thought the consensus was against patent leather?


Both of your choices look to be patent leather.

User avatar
lawyergirl47
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:31 am

Re: Women's suits

Postby lawyergirl47 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:01 pm

keg411 wrote:
lawyergirl47 wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
lawyergirl47 wrote:Hey ladies,

I am having some trouble finding an interview-friendly black platform pump for OCI... I am really short (5'0"), so I need all the height I can get. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Are you looking for pointed toe or rounded?


Rounded, I think. Though I've been staring at these all weekend: http://www.ninewest.com/Love-Fury/87245 ... st-catalog

These: http://www.ninewest.com/Homage/9335389, ... st-catalog would be fine, but I thought the consensus was against patent leather?


Both of your choices look to be patent leather.



yeah I don't think the links copied correctly. I like the smooth leather for the Love Fury, not the patent.

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11776
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: Women's suits

Postby ilovesf » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:02 pm

lawyergirl47 wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
lawyergirl47 wrote:Hey ladies,

I am having some trouble finding an interview-friendly black platform pump for OCI... I am really short (5'0"), so I need all the height I can get. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Are you looking for pointed toe or rounded?


Rounded, I think. Though I've been staring at these all weekend: http://www.ninewest.com/Love-Fury/87245 ... st-catalog

These: http://www.ninewest.com/Homage/9335389, ... st-catalog would be fine, but I thought the consensus was against patent leather?

I'm not the right person to answer this, but a 4.5 inch heel plus platform seems really high to me for an interview. I'd be worried about someone judging me for wearing something that high, especially in patent. That's just me though and I am pretty conservative when it comes to business clothes.

User avatar
Ozymandias
Posts: 166
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:49 am

Re: Women's suits

Postby Ozymandias » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:10 pm

I would definitely not do pointy + high heel, nor would I do pointy platform.

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11776
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: Women's suits

Postby ilovesf » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:10 pm

If you want patent, I might suggest this: http://www.lordandtaylor.com/eng/Shoes- ... pStyle.com

Otherwise, maybe:
http://www1.bloomingdales.com/shop/prod ... kxyCSfwHdg

http://www.anntaylor.com/ann/product/AT ... &cid=A0001 -- which is 30% off right now, too.

I have a pair of coach pumps that I LOVE, but I can't see to find them online.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.